Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what kind of leather treatment do you all use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 01:54 PM
lilcoop2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexol Cleaner & Conditioner

New 2IS owner and member here on CL myself - just wanted to chime in that for all my leather interiors I have used Lexol Cleaner (Orange Bottle), as well as their Conditioner (Brown Bottle). Looking at some of the posts here, I learned about the Lexol Neatsfoot Leather Dressing which appears to be aimed more for lighter leathers to avoid discoloration - I did not even know that existed! FWIW, I also use their Vinylex product for the vinyl surfaces in my car, but I don't feel there is anything particularly special with their vinyl care products.
Old 06-28-12, 03:29 PM
busdepot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leatherique is the single best leather cleaning and conditioning product I have ever used. STRONGLY (THE ALL CAPS KIND OF STRONGLY ) recommend it.
Old 06-28-12, 03:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,824 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Another vote for Leatherique. I do the two step process 2-3 times a year, the rest of the time I wipe the seats down with plain water or I put a little bit of Prestine Clean in the water. Best leather product out there IMO.
Old 06-28-12, 04:08 PM
aznoutkast
Driver

imo i just want that right off the show room look everytime i get inside. anybody tried anything from "chemical guys"?
Old 06-29-12, 04:44 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Originally Posted by aznoutkast
picked up my is350 about 3 weeks ago tungsten pearl with black interior. ill post pics up later sowwy, but just wondering CL ppl use to keep there leather protected and shiny new? thanks! this tx heat is killing my leather
Hydration

Leather naturally absorbs and retains moisture vapour, meaning it’s also susceptible to losing the moisture necessary to keep it pliant and soft. One of major attribute is its ability for transpiration (allowing the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration), which it does even better than wool.

This means not just its permeability to air but its permeability to water vapour, on the other hand, whilst it absorbs water vapour it doesn't readily absorb liquid, so a light rain will not harm it and a damp cloth can be used to keep it clean, however the introduction of any solvent-based products accelerates aging of the leather.

Water-based products to a certain extent hydrate finished leather, more so on perforated leather. Water molecules are smaller than the micro pores in urethane, so it can permeate the finish in vapour form. This is essential to transpiration (evaporation and hydration) to maintain a moisture balance as well as the suppleness and leathers natural flexibility, keeping finished leather at its optimum physical performance level, along with softness and strength

Ensure that the surface of the finished leather is clean and dust-free. Fill a fine mist atomizer spray bottle (Kwazar Mercury Pro) with distilled water; lightly mist the surface and then using a damp 100% cotton towel wipe the surface

There is no valid reason to use oil-based leather care products to condition or feed leather hides. Leather only requires hydration; but the widespread sale and use of leather conditioners remains prevalent as it is such a big and profitable industry the manufacturers continue to encourage and promote the use of their products

Google Leather articles, Autopia you may find the information provided useful
Old 06-29-12, 07:04 AM
aledavidov
Driver School Candidate

Another vote for Leatherique
Old 06-29-12, 07:13 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultima Interior Guard ftw!
Old 06-29-12, 08:40 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

I use leatherique when dealing with real bad leather. For maintenance and upkeep I just use either OPC or Autoglym Interior Shampoo. Keeps the interior nice and fresh year round.
Old 06-30-12, 02:44 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Default Finished Leather

Unless a Premium Leather option was purchased an Isocyanate based ethyl carbamate (urethane) finished leather upholstery is used by 95% as OEM in modern automobiles. It comprises a multi stratum acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system covering over the leather hide; the top strata are the surface pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather.

And then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied as the final stage of the finishing process, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel (patina) and abrasion resistance, as well as a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle

It also has micro-pores that allow evaporation and hydration (the passage of water vapour through a membrane or pore) they are not sealed per se

Modern tanning and coating processes leave leather dynamic and self-regulating with regard to the moisture content therein. Repetitive heat cycling causes the leather to lose moisture, resulting in the formation of creasing or surface cracks, which further leads to the leather shrinking; however the urethane remains stable, which may lead to delamination
Old 07-06-12, 08:00 AM
lexusMnl
Driver School Candidate

Lexol here too
Old 07-06-12, 09:47 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use the Meguires leather interior cleaner but am now in the process of shopping around. I hear Zaino is the product to use but Leatherique and Lexol are also good products. it may just depend on preference as there are only subtle differences. What I am personally looking at right now are the Wolfgang care care products. Let us know with what you go with and give us your review of your product of choice. could help someone in the future make a choice.
Old 07-07-12, 02:27 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Default Three Step Leather Care

Simple cleaning, hydration and protection are the three steps that will prolong the life of finished leather; urethane doesn’t require conditioning or rejuvenation

1. Clean - there are two cleaning-related factors that can cause your leather to wear prematurely. The first is dirt, and the second is oil, combined they become very abrasive, as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear

2. Hydrated – when leather tanner’s talk about conditioning leather they are referring to its moisture content, re-hydration is used to restore or maintain fluid balance (transpiration and evaporation of moisture); not the replenishment or replacement of the fat liquoring, oils and / or waxes.

3. Protection - is essential as it will protect the surface finish with a sacrificial layer; this way you are not actually cleaning the finished leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. It also makes dirt easier to clean off

My product of predilection is definitely Leather Masters

Google “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care”