Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Smell that won't go away..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 11:50 AM
Lvangundy

Default Smell that won't go away..

Hello all- (did a search on 'smell' nothing came up)

Maybe a year ago my car still had that "new from the dealer" smell. Now it's got a strong chemical odor. Everyone who's been in my car says 'What's that smell?" It's quite embarassing..I have to explain to everyone what it is..

Since I installed RAAMmat all over, had the seats restuffed, and used the funky smelling Lexol conditioner the smell from these chemicals(the glue) won't go away. I've tried spraying meguiar's plastic polish over the RAAMmat before I put all the seats and paneling back in, using leather wipes on the rear seats..still the smell roams..

I've had the carpet steam cleaned and hand scrubbed with some blue bottled carpet cleaner (for car carpet) and that didn't help either. Air fresheners like those CX-1 things only mix with the smell to create a stuffy chemical bublbe gum scent..eew...that's almost worse than without an air freshener.

I've also tried OZIUM, but that didn't do much either..Is it time to take it t oa professional detailer and have them put some work into it?

HELP!
Old 11-12-02, 01:58 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be that you're at a last resort, and that last resort is an ozone treatment. An ozone generator will shoot activated oxygen into the interior comparment and it's pretty effective at really removing ingrained odors, since it gets EVERYWHERE.

It's not cheap, but most dealerships and large detail shops can do it for under $100 in my area.

I have not personally ever needed it, but a friend had it done on a Mercedes once and she said it did work. Other than that, if you want to try yourself...

http://www.topoftheline.com/odors.html

Here is a link that contains even more professional -grade options, and it's stuff you can buy, for specific odors in specific materials. Good luck.
Old 11-12-02, 10:57 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Smell that won't go away..

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Since I installed RAAMmat all over, had the seats restuffed, and used the funky smelling Lexol conditioner the smell from these chemicals(the glue) won't go away.
I can't see the problem as the Lexol...it evaporates.

Sounds like outgassing from the seat stuffing or the RAAMmat. I've not heard of other complaints regarding RAAMmat and it's odor..Actually the opposite, especially compared to Dynamat (Asphalt smell). Got any RAAMmat left...Smell it.

So could it be the seat stuffing? Contact the people who did the work and find out what they used. Some foams can emit some wicked smelling air. If it is the problem, they should fix it. The restuffing isn't that old, is it (or was that Horta)?

Until whatever is making this stench outgasses or evaporates, the problem will remain

Perhaps Ozone.