Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Polymer sealer AND carnauba?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 07:33 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Polymer sealer AND carnauba?

I use Prima products, and I couldn't be happier with them. Their new sealer (Hydro Seal) is exceptionally easy to apply, is really long lasting, and it looks great. That said, I have always liked the warmth that carnauba adds to the paint. Prima has a product (Banana Gloss) that contains a bit of carnauba, but I'm not sure it's enough to get the look I like.

Does anyone use a sealer, followed by an application of carnauba wax? What does it do to the sealer? Can you add another application of sealer on top of the carnauba, or do you have to strip off the carnauba before resealing?
Old 07-02-12, 04:38 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I use Prima products, and I couldn't be happier with them. Their new sealer (Hydro Seal) is exceptionally easy to apply, is really long lasting, and it looks great. That said, I have always liked the warmth that carnauba adds to the paint. Prima has a product (Banana Gloss) that contains a bit of carnauba, but I'm not sure it's enough to get the look I like.

Does anyone use a sealer, followed by an application of carnauba wax? What does it do to the sealer? Can you add another application of sealer on top of the carnauba, or do you have to strip off the carnauba before resealing?
It all depends what look your looking for, but when using a sealant most of them will give you a razor sharp look and if you want to top it with a carnauba wax it will be in the warm side. Yes you can top it with a carnauba wax. But you can't top carnauba with a sealant. I would wait 8-12 hrs after a sealant is apply before using a wax over it.
Old 07-02-12, 11:00 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BG is one of my favorite products for a timed detail. Its quick and easy and fills in light swirls as well. IMO it gives some glow but nothing near a pure carnauba based wax since it is a hybrid wax in my eyes.
Old 07-03-12, 05:17 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for topping sealants with carnauba.

After my spring cleaning I normally just load up on the carnauba wax and reapply every 4 to 6 weeks.

This spring after my cleaning I applied Jetseal109 waited 24 hours and topped with Collinite. I've since been applying Collinite every 4 to 6 weeks and I have to say it is the best my car has looked in my 6+ years with it. I really like the look this combo gives and I'm glad I tried it. GL
Old 07-03-12, 07:23 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks!

I was looking at the Collinite site. Which version do you use? Insulator Wax, Super Doublecoat Paste Wax, or the Marques D'Elegance?
Old 07-03-12, 07:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Fleetwax #885,, I know it says boat and aeronautical wax but I live in the ocean state and its readily available for the last dozen years I've been using it. It's a paste and goes on nice, I just pop it out of the can use it with my PC and a blue pad.

Other thoughts, Since your topping off a sealant I'd pass the doublecoat as its a hybrid wax. And although I've never used The Marques D'E I'm told its very good and a comparable paste to the Fleetwax. If you want to go liquid... use #845 Insulator Wax all the way. Great stuff that lasts a long time like Fleetwax.
Old 07-05-12, 03:18 AM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick question, when you guys say wait 8-12 hours or whatever, do you guys mean leave the wax on 8-12 hours before buffing off or after buff off, wait for that certain amount of time then apply the next coat? And how many coats do you guys usually use? Thanks.
Old 07-05-12, 04:40 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The 8-12 hours is the cure time before putting on a second coat of the same or different product. Drying time is the time from wax on - wax off.