Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning the interior roof

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 06:44 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cleaning the interior roof

Somehow there are scuff like marks on the interior roof of my used 2011 es350. It has a light beige interior. When I picked it up, they hadn't detailed it. They gave me a credit towards going to a car detailing place, but I would like to try cleaning it up myself.

What would you folks recommend to clean:
1) the interior roof (not sure what the material is)
2) the leather seats
3) the top and sides of the center console
4) the dashboard

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions - I have been reading this thread and will read more, but haven't yet seen what I thought was the answer for the roof. Unless it's the 6 parts water 1 part woolite thing...

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-14-12, 03:49 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you folks recommend to clean:
1) the interior roof (not sure what the material is)

Headliner- if there are areas where your head touches the ceiling you will probably notice that these areas accumulate dirt and the like because of the oils that come from your hair and your skin that are now on the headliner.

Vacuum the headliner making sure you apply pressure, but not too much. Not only can you set the stains in this way, you may tear what can be very fragile upholstery if you press too hard. Vacuum thoroughly to make sure that you get all of the loose dust fragments

Cleaning - Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces.
Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour. Use Dr Joe dedicated Lint-Free 100% Cotton Blue Huck Surgical Towels, using very light pressure and wipe the headliner following the cleaning with the water based cleaner (do not soak or use hot water on the headliner fabric as it may delaminate) Dry by blotting with a clean, dry surgical huck towel

2) the leather seats

3) the top and sides of the center console

Periodically clean using:-
(a) Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency.

OR

(b) Sonax Dashboard Cleaner - silicon-free interior cleaner for all plastic parts. Reliably prevents electrostatic charges creating a dust repellent surface. Renews and maintains the matte and structured surface (soft-feeling effect) No chemical odour residue, it just leaves a pleasant, fresh scent. Both of these products are silicon-free

(Silicon oil formulations are build-up type products which accelerate heat damage) interior cleaners for all vinyl / plastic parts reliably prevent electrostatic charges creating a dust repellent surface. The white residue sometimes found on a vinyl dashboard is the plastizers out gassing, use a cleaner as above

And then apply a suitable matte type dressing (G Techniq C4 Trim Restorer or Iz Cockpit Premium) to ensure that there is no reflection on the windshield, thus reducing visibility.

Alternate with a UVR protection (303™ Space Protectant or Optimum Protectant Plus) especially to the dash and any other surface that is subjected to sunlight on a regular basis. Note that there are no surface cleaners in these products

The white residue sometimes found on a vinyl dashboard is the plastizers out gassing, use a cleaner as above

4) the dashboard

See (3) above

Last edited by eyezack87; 08-29-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 11:11 PM
JaySupreme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I use lacquer thinner with a terry cloth. It is a bit strong but it gets rids of any dirt or grime stuck on your roof