Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Just used genuine Lexus leather cleaner on my LS460 and it took the dye off the seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Just used genuine Lexus leather cleaner on my LS460 and it took the dye off the seat

Just got the car washed and when I returned home I wanted to clean the front seat . I sprayed the leather cleaner on the seat and massaged it into the leather like I have a million times and then I noticed little brown spots on the leather. I also noticed that the cotton towel I was using had the Beige interior color on the towel. It has removed the pigment on little areas so now it looks permanently dirty.

Anyone ever have something like this happen to them?? I have been detailing cars for decades and have never ever seen anything like this. The odd thing is that I have been using this leather cleaner on my Lexus vehicles for about 5 years. The bottle was even brand new

Thankfully I found a company that does upholstery repair and reconditioning . Still frustrating and a bit odd
Old 07-21-12, 03:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very odd, its possible a mechanic or someone who worked on your car had something on their back side and when they sat in the drivers seat it got on the seat, most don't realize it but most automotive fluids will destroy the paint and interior finishes if not removed immediately
Old 07-21-12, 08:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Its really weird. I am in hope since I had a 1" tear in the leather repaired by a mobile upholstery repair and reconditioning business. They repaired the tear and used their own matching dye to blend the color. It was perfect. I need to call them and get this fixed. Its a bit annoying
Old 07-21-12, 08:58 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that is weird because I normally use the stuff at autozone and im fine. had to be something that was on there doing that. a little warm water and some protectant will do it. good luck on the fix! I would like to know the color for that gray in the interior so I can get some alcantara to do the pillars, I hate that it is so soft and easily damaged.
Old 07-22-12, 02:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you get it fixed soon OP. Please make sure you do a small test spot in an inconspicuous area next time
Old 07-28-12, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

its just so strange since I have used this stuff a million times . I found this place and I know I will be ok

http://www.fibrenew.com/

check out the before and after pics. I feel like there is nothing these guys cant fix
Old 07-28-12, 07:26 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

maybe the guys washing your car got something on it and you didnt notice until you came home?
Old 07-28-12, 07:27 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its really weird. I am in hope since I had a 1" tear in the leather repaired by a mobile upholstery repair and reconditioning business. They repaired the tear and used their own matching dye to blend the color. It was perfect. I need to call them and get this fixed. Its a bit annoying
Perhaps it's a problem with the dye not bonding with the leather properly?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its just so strange since I have used this stuff a million times.
It may have reacted to the dye they used in the repair if it's the same seat. I would ask them if they've had any previous concerns with the dye being transferred or removed by cleaners.

Big Mack
Old 07-29-12, 06:33 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Most leather is painted and clear coated. The paint (dye) is thin as is the clear coat. If the clear coat has been worn away the dye layer will come off quickly with any cleaner exposing the raw leather under it.

The repair will require a re-dye and re-clear along with pattern matching. This can be attempted as a DIY but there is so much to account for that I'd suggest a professional leather restoration company.

Here are a couple videos on how the leather is made in case you were ever wondering.

Old 08-03-12, 05:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

sorry to hear about your leather.... Can it be fixed?
Old 08-05-12, 04:15 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

guess i'lll stop using the one i have. bought it 2 years ago, used it recently but it didn't ****up my seats. i always spray the chem on a MF towel and rub it in and wipe it down with the dry side. i never spray it on the leather.
Old 08-05-12, 07:51 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

If you purchased the car used, it could very well had some interior work done on it by one of those guys that come in and dye seats and make them look half way decent for a faster sale. The sad part is, most of those dyes wear off very fast, become sticky, and do not bond at all with the leather material. In short, it's not durable. I was "detailing" my dad's van earlier this year, his Sienna has a grey interior and a grey leather steering wheel. I used a brand new soft MF towel that I dampened before hand. I used that moist towel on the steering wheel and right before my eyes the grey dye was coming off ,revealing a black surface underneath. I didn't even use a cleaner that time and no type of hard rubbing or scrubbing. It just goes to show you that you should always expect the unexpected when you are dealing with cars and different types of surfaces.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-12, 01:16 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, sometimes it doesnt go to show to clean your car and BAM, something like this comes about. If the color is on your towel or MF, then it is sometimes beyond cleaning. You might make it worse if you keep cleaning it and pushing more pressure on the surface. I would try and see if SEM paint has a duplicolor for your car and just repspray your whole seat or the section of need. To blend, just pull the can away farther and farther away. I did mine and it still looks great. SEM is the best leather paint on the market and can be found at Oreilys, but you must ask for it, if you dont see it on the shelf. GL.
Old 08-22-12, 07:58 AM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I would try and see if SEM paint has a duplicolor for your car and just repspray your whole seat or the section of need. To blend, just pull the can away farther and farther away. I did mine and it still looks great. SEM is the best leather paint on the market and can be found at Oreilys, but you must ask for it, if you dont see it on the shelf. GL.
+1 for SEM products. FOR CUSTOMER CARE CALL: 1-866-327-7829

I used SEM Classic coat on my two tone Ford Expedition leather seats and they came out looking new. That was over a year ago and they still look new. SEM has factory-matched OEM aerosol colors for many cars.

The trick is to properly prepare the surface .

1- SEM Soap
2- SEM Plastic/Leather Prep
3- SEM Classic Coat (several light coats)

Jerry
Old 08-23-12, 08:49 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned, I'd bet the seat was sprayed with dye and not clear-coated over. If the leather has a satin or matte finish, you wouldn't be able to tell either way.

I always use the SEM clear over any dye when I do repairs / touchups, because the color will lift when cleaned, if not clearcoated like it came from the factory, and it puts a protective layer between dirt and body salts etc. which further breaks down the colored pigment layer over time...

Quick Reply: Just used genuine Lexus leather cleaner on my LS460 and it took the dye off the seat