Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need direction for cleaning these wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 09:37 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need direction for cleaning these wheels

Hi Guys,

I need a little detailing direction... I have a set of Work GS1 in Shadow Black finish, the lip is a gloss black finish, almost like an anodized finish. I typically use Sonax wheel cleaner but ran out a couple weeks ago and did not have any on order. I decided to use Meguiars "Hot Rim wheel cleaner" while my Sonax is shipping. The cleaner appeared to work well, washed off easily but when the wheels dried it left this black lip cloudy.... Pics below for reference. With some rubbing and quick detailer I was able to get most of it off. I washed the car again 1 week later (This time with no wheel cleaner) and the cloudyness is back in a couple spots... Im guessing there may have been left over residue that was released during the second wash.

Any suggestions on what to use to get rid of this all together? I should be recieving my sonax today so Im hoping a good cleaning with that and power wash after will help but looking here for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Need direction for cleaning these wheels-photo-jul-25-9-06-26-am.jpg   Need direction for cleaning these wheels-photo-jul-25-9-06-34-am.jpg  
Old 07-25-12, 12:22 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice would to probably use the sonax, let it work then agitate with various soft brushes, rinse off with your pressure washer and dry them with a microfiber towel, if the cloudiness is still there, you'll probably need some metal polish for your rims to get rid of it all, its hard work but it'll pay off! I'd recommend using a sealant/wax after you polish too to make cleaning easier next time.
Old 07-26-12, 10:05 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISmak4
My advice would to probably use the sonax, let it work then agitate with various soft brushes, rinse off with your pressure washer and dry them with a microfiber towel, if the cloudiness is still there, you'll probably need some metal polish for your rims to get rid of it all, its hard work but it'll pay off! I'd recommend using a sealant/wax after you polish too to make cleaning easier next time.
Thanks, ill give this a shot
Old 07-26-12, 12:19 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks to me like those rims are not fully clear-coated but anodized as you suggest. Occasionally some manufacturers don't coat the lips. I would not continue to use that wheel cleaner on those wheels. I would suggest a metal polish is in order now. You might try the Meguiar's Wheel polishing kit. I'd use only very safe products on those wheels in the future or try application of something like OptiCoat 2.0 after you clean them up.