Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch in My Arm Rest Wood Grain

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 07:24 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratch in My Arm Rest Wood Grain

I did a search on scratches on wood grain and found a couple alternatives about using various waxes, but noting about any success.

It's not a deep scratch and was wondering if polishing compound would be to harsh?

To keep the wood grain looking new, is there a special wax just for wood grains?
Old 07-30-12, 07:27 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Would you like this moved to the detailing forum?
Old 07-30-12, 07:33 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
Would you like this moved to the detailing forum?
Yes, Thanks
Old 07-31-12, 05:40 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Doesn't seem to be moved yet so here is my $0.02. Had small scratches on my cup holder lid due to a less than clean vacuum hose when cleaning out the car one day. I used plastic cleaner followed by plastic polish and it worked well. Same thing on my old ES when the wife scratched the steering wheel wood. You could also use something like a Scratch-X which is a diminishing abrasive. Starts out as a light rubbing compound and as you work with it the product breaks down into a fine polish. Works well on exterior paint issues as well as interior wood problems. I've used it on a previous vehicle (Jaguar) and was happy with the results.

Good luck.

Oh... use a microfiber towel please. You can use something else but run more of a risk of hiding your one scratch with a bunch of smaller ones.
Old 07-31-12, 06:40 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Doesn't seem to be moved yet so here is my $0.02. Had small scratches on my cup holder lid due to a less than clean vacuum hose when cleaning out the car one day. I used plastic cleaner followed by plastic polish and it worked well. Same thing on my old ES when the wife scratched the steering wheel wood. You could also use something like a Scratch-X which is a diminishing abrasive. Starts out as a light rubbing compound and as you work with it the product breaks down into a fine polish. Works well on exterior paint issues as well as interior wood problems. I've used it on a previous vehicle (Jaguar) and was happy with the results.

Good luck.

Oh... use a microfiber towel please. You can use something else but run more of a risk of hiding your one scratch with a bunch of smaller ones.
Thanks for your input, I have some options here.
Old 08-03-12, 12:53 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC the finish is either clear coated or epoxy finished...or both even. Normal paint polish should work fine. Even if it doesn't remove it entirely, the scratch will be rounded so it will be less visible. Did my method on a deeper scratch along with some fine grade sandpaper on my RX330 steering wheel and it took it right off. I sealed with OptiCoat 2.0 just in case