Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which Finish Do You Prefer?
Wetter looking = Better looking
46.56%
High Gloss
15.85%
Semi-Gloss
16.69%
Low Gloss
7.29%
Satin
9.26%
Flat Black
2.10%
Natural rubber (No dressing)
2.24%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Dressings

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-03, 02:09 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake fluid

Thats we used to use back in he old days. Dont know if it ruined the rubber - but it looked good
Old 01-16-03, 02:18 AM
geees300
Driver

i don't recommend it for these reasons:
- it discolors your tire if you stop using it
- your side wall will start cracking sooner than not using any tire dressing
- tire dressing and break dust are a lethal combo on your wheels finish and your clothes...wife hates it when the kids get it on their clothes.

geees
Old 03-04-03, 07:45 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i also nominate the zaino tire stuff, but at >$10, it's pretty spendy. i've had spin-off problems with
all tire apps that i've tried. then, i tried the thing that i hate most: foam. the foam stuff works and i
don't have spin off probs. especially since my car is white, it makes it look like polka dots when i
have spin off. the foam works fine. i just don't put it on in public places
Old 04-04-03, 12:12 PM
Deanski
Driver

Default Tire Dressing

I have tried Stoner "More Shine, Less Time" and it works very well! No spin off from this product!

DEANSKI
Old 04-16-03, 01:47 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Tire wet myself!!
Old 04-16-03, 03:41 PM
icgraven
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: ok.. don't make fun

Originally posted by akmpres
What is the best way not to get that run off, i use the endurance and i have used the Eagle One i think....I like my tires to look shiney, but even if apply at night the next day i still get the run off, do you guys wipe after putting it on or just let it sit.
I use one of the Meguires tire dress applicators. They cost like two bucks and are worth every penny. It conforms perfet with the tire and leaves no run off.
Old 04-16-03, 11:13 PM
strongsail
Instructor

I use the Armorall tire gel in the clear bottle, don't remember what they call it, too lazy to put on my pants, go down in the elevator, open the trunk & look - it isn't really shiny, I have had no spinoff problems, I applly it with a cheap round yellow sponge that I buy 2 to a pack at GIJoe's - I just got Kumho 712's and they have a lot of ridges on the sidewalls that make them hard to coat, plus they're new so they are drinking up the gel like crazy - the tires have a rim protector edge, and there is a little gap between that raised edge and the wheel, so I use a 45-cent 1" foam brush for the gap. I keep the applicators in a ziploc baggie so they don't contaminate everything else in my wash bucket. I put the Kumhos on my pristine silver Supra TT wheels, and the medium shine really sets off the wheels, I love it
Old 05-12-03, 09:36 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by 177MPH
" brake fluid
Thats we used to use back in he old days. Dont know if it ruined the rubber - but it looked good"

What the hell??? DON"T EVER EVER EVER USE BRAKE FLUID ON YOUR TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRAKE FLUID EATS PAINT !!!!!! Any spinoff and your paint is toast. If you don't believe me, read a bottle of brake fluid, or do some research on it.

Do us all a favor and don't post crap like this.
Old 07-05-03, 09:11 PM
boji
Driver School Candidate

nothing works like meguires gold class. zaino tire gloss just didnt stay on as long, and didn't look half as nice. Using a applicater helps a lot, no drips, no mess. its weird how much better a car could look when the tires are finished. did i mention meguires smells crazy good.

-boji
Old 09-15-03, 03:17 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I prefer the Griots Garage dressing. No petroleoum distillates that eventually brown your tires. All tire dressings are addictive though. Once you start, you cannot stop...

Murph
Old 09-18-03, 01:35 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using Turtle Wax "Wet and Black", but after one rain it seems to go. It is also very thin and can spin off if not careful.

Think I'll try Meguires next or the TW gel.

You're right, I'm addicted to this stuff now!
Old 09-18-03, 02:54 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default I use..

Black Magic Tire Wet Gel High Gloss... works great...no slings whatsover on my paint job.
Old 09-19-03, 07:41 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

I like Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss tire gel put on with a foam applicator and then wiped with a dry cloth. It gives it a nice semi gloss shine that lasts a week and no spin off. It accentuates the chrome on my 18's and really makes the car standout. So far, for me, it's the best tire dressing I've ever used.

JP
Old 09-29-03, 12:59 PM
icgraven
Driver School Candidate

They had this little segment on the History Channel last night about auto detailing and this guy "Mr Polish" said to use motor oil. He said after 3 or 4 applications (once a week) that the tire will absorb enough oil that all you need to do is wipe it down with a rag and the shine will come right back. I may give it a try.
Old 09-29-03, 02:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by icgraven
They had this little segment on the History Channel last night about auto detailing and this guy "Mr Polish" said to use motor oil. He said after 3 or 4 applications (once a week) that the tire will absorb enough oil that all you need to do is wipe it down with a rag and the shine will come right back. I may give it a try.
Don't give it a try.
Here is an example of one of those posts that just drives me nuts. It's also in the 'ya just don't get something for nothin'' category.
Well, "Mr. Polish" is just brilliant, isn't he??? Maybe he should be called Mr. Slimy. After a few weeks, your tires are shining, and after another indeterminate number of weeks, you're buyin' new tires, or worse, they're takin' you to the hospital 'cause your tires just blew out at 90MPH, or a light rain started and your oil-impregnated tires caused a slide into the guardrail. Sounds like fun? Oil deteriorates rubber. Motor oil is one of the worst things you can put on rubber tires. I'm sure that the auto tire manufacturers make their tires as oil-resistant as possible since they're on the road, but oil still eats rubber. It's a known fact.

Put this one with the earlier brake fluid post (brake fluid eats paint) in this thread.
What's next? Gasoline?

Quick Reply: Tire Dressings