Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which Finish Do You Prefer?
Wetter looking = Better looking
46.56%
High Gloss
15.85%
Semi-Gloss
16.69%
Low Gloss
7.29%
Satin
9.26%
Flat Black
2.10%
Natural rubber (No dressing)
2.24%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Dressings

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 04:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by parula
Threxx. 303 sounds good, have to try it and use less Meg. Endurance at least by just a very light wipe on of the high gloss I got thinking it will last and I will only need little, just left too much on and these ribs on the Integity grab the stuff.
That's why I like 303, it's very liquid, so it isn't really 'grabable' so you won't get gobs of it stuck in grooves.

And despite their similarity on the labels, Meguire's Endurance High Gloss is crap, whereas Meguire's Endurance (not the high gloss kind) is much better and is actually an entirely different formula using much higher quality compounds.

The unfortunate thing is that the non high-gloss stuff is hard to find these days... Meguires realized that they could charge the same price for the "High Gloss" version and it cost them less to make it, and people were actually more inclined to buy it since most car detailing lemmings just thing "Higher Gloss = Better Product".

Permanent solution is just to buy 303. And w/ 303 you can use it on anything plastic/rubber/vinyl.. not just your tires. People will be amazed when your car is 15 years old and all the weather seals and black plastic looks like it did off the show-room floor!

Last edited by Threxx; 10-20-03 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 03:59 PM
parula
Instructor

Threxx, where can one buy 303, their site was down last night apparently, is it retailed?

when I got the MEHG they had the regular too, and it was cheaper, as I recall.
Old 10-21-03, 07:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Threxx, where can one buy 303, their site was down last night apparently, is it retailed?

when I got the MEHG they had the regular too, and it was cheaper, as I recall.
http://www.303products.com/

It's working for me...

Old 10-27-03, 04:06 PM
parula
Instructor

I searched the 303 site and the local marine stores have it.
Old 11-21-03, 09:52 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the Meguiars high gloss tire trm & love it,. I like the fact that you can adjust the nozzle to accomodate your wheel wall size.
Old 11-23-03, 05:21 AM
parula
Instructor

tried several:
Meguires Endurance HG: really shiny, spins off from those stupid grooves in the Integritys so need to wipe extra off. Lasted several weeks, not too long lasting after rain either as it predicts, still the best I've tried so far imo.
303: not much shine, wet look only lasted a few days on old tires, need to reapply after a week or so, think it is more of a protectant
Several others not worth mentioning as they didnt' last very long - will use them on wife's car
Old 11-23-03, 11:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

tried several:
Meguires Endurance HG: really shiny, spins off from those stupid grooves in the Integritys so need to wipe extra off. Lasted several weeks, not too long lasting after rain either as it predicts, still the best I've tried so far imo.
303: not much shine, wet look only lasted a few days on old tires, need to reapply after a week or so, think it is more of a protectant
Several others not worth mentioning as they didnt' last very long - will use them on wife's car
You seriously need to use the non high gloss... it may not be as shiny, but it's much better for your tires.

And you are correct, 303 is more of a protectant and really, after the initial shine goes away only makes the tires look brand new, which I personally prefer my tires to look new and smooth black rather than like glazed donuts... just too fake looking IMO.

And if you really want 303 to work as intended, you need to spray some Wesley's bleach-white on them, scrub them down with a brush, rinse them off, and then apply. Your tires will actually absorb the 303 in (lets see any other tire dressing actually do this), and you should reapply again after a few days. Repeat applications about once every 3-4 weeks and I promise your tires will never look brown or greasy, dry-rot, fade, crack, or sling nasty junk up on your paint.
Old 11-24-03, 03:48 PM
parula
Instructor

You seriously need to use the non high gloss
Threxx, yes I know someone, you perhaps, advised getting the nonhi-gloss but I got the HG mistakingly.
Tks for the tips, when I use this up, I'll move on to the regular Meguires.

Agree with you on the glazed donut look! But I sort of like it!

sling nasty junk up on your paint
The Meguires actually seems to permanently STAIN/DISCOLOUR the paint from what I can tell as I only had spots appearing after applying the MEHG, and I cannot get them off. Not good if that's the cause. I may do a slight test.

Last edited by parula; 11-24-03 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 05:21 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

...The Meguires actually seems to permanently STAIN/DISCOLOUR the paint from what I can tell as I only had spots appearing after applying the MEHG, and I cannot get them off. Not good if that's the cause. I may do a slight test.
I've been using the Endurance High Gloss on my MR2 ever since Meguires introduced it and it has never spun off or stained my paint. Did you apply it per instructions on the label? They specifically tell you to wipe off the excess, especially in groves. I like the higher luster and nothing else I've used lasts as long. It even survives some rainy weather. In dry weather I get about three to four weeks per application. It far outlasts the Endurance normal gloss product. It smells much better too.

The label also cautions to not apply it to painted surfaces so I can imagine that failure to follow directions could result in spin-off and subsequent paint damage if you drove off before the product had dried. Like wax, thin coats are better.

If anyone knows of a better, longer lasting, high gloss product I like to know about it.

BTW, anyone else use the B&D Scumbuster to clean your tires. This battery operated scrubber really does a nice job of cleaning off brake dust and road grime.
Old 12-18-03, 12:21 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Black Magic and Meguires Endurance
Attached Thumbnails Tire Dressings-dsc00330.jpg  
Old 12-18-03, 03:54 PM
parula
Instructor

jfelbab, I might need to be more diligent about getting the stuff out of the grooves on these tires. Haven't applied in several weeks and I realize I like that shiny look more and more! Might do a rare winter application tomorrow with just a thin wipe on!!
Old 12-22-03, 03:22 PM
parula
Instructor

nice weather got me out there to do a light application and pretty thorough wipe off, tires look great and no spin off so far - love that wet look!!
Old 02-16-04, 08:55 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tire Dressing

Originally posted by Deanski
I have tried Stoner "More Shine, Less Time" and it works very well! No spin off from this product!

DEANSKI
The Stoner stuff is my first preference, followed by the Meguiar's Endurance Gel.
Old 06-11-04, 06:38 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

I just recently tried the Stoner "More Shine, Less Time, got it at Pep Boys. It works great, nice nozzle for direct hit to tire wall, so it doesn't spray all over the place. Also no spin off.
Old 09-22-04, 05:58 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

meguiars hot shine is crap. it's all over the side of my car. I wipe it off with a paper towel after I apply it with an applicator, still flings off. I think it is too shiny as well. I would like something like satin finish and so it does not run off the wheels would be a plus...

Quick Reply: Tire Dressings