Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which Finish Do You Prefer?
Wetter looking = Better looking
46.56%
High Gloss
15.85%
Semi-Gloss
16.69%
Low Gloss
7.29%
Satin
9.26%
Flat Black
2.10%
Natural rubber (No dressing)
2.24%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Dressings

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 06:15 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I wanted to add. I like the Meguiars High Gloss spray after it's been washed off, like after car wash it looks the best. So I try to use it about every 3rd car wash. I was actually thinking of appliying it before I wash the car, so I wash that crap off the wheels and let whatever's left of the Meguiars be on the tires. If that makes sence(probably not).
Old 09-22-04, 06:37 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

When I use that Hot Shine product I remove the excess by buffing with a cotton terry cloth towel. If you have ribs or sipes that ring your tire you need to remove the excess from those groves. I use an old wheel brush to clean out the groves then buff the tire. It takes the Hot Shine (trigger spray) about an hour to dry. I don't think a paper towel will do a good enough job at removing the excess, especially from the grooves.

What you are seeing on your paint, the sling, is the antiozonants from the tire mixing with the excess dressing left in the grooves.

Some dressings dry better than others. The Hot Shine aerosol, for example, dries faster than the Hot Shine trigger spray product. The Endurance products are also slower to dry and will be more prone to sling if the excess is not removed per the instructions.

It is also important to scrub your tires clean before applying dressings. Be sure to get all the old dressing and anti-ozonants off the tire.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-22-04 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-22-04, 08:40 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

You are absolutely right. Whatever those stains are they certainly look like the spray dissolves all the crap on the tire and then it sprayes all over the place. What I have also noticed is that when I had the Dunlop SP Sport tires, they behaved much better than the michelin Energy tires I have now. The Michelins seem to just melt if you spray them with the tire dressing. I'd like to know what you use to clean the tires. Will the soap and a brush do? Or there is some cleaner that I can use. Thanks.
Old 09-22-04, 09:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by audphile1
You are absolutely right. Whatever those stains are they certainly look like the spray dissolves all the crap on the tire and then it sprayes all over the place. What I have also noticed is that when I had the Dunlop SP Sport tires, they behaved much better than the michelin Energy tires I have now. The Michelins seem to just melt if you spray them with the tire dressing. I'd like to know what you use to clean the tires. Will the soap and a brush do? Or there is some cleaner that I can use. Thanks.

I've used these products on dirty tires;
Eimann Fabrik Tire Cleaner
Eagle One Tire Cleaner
Orange Blast diluted 50% with water

I also like the way a pressure washer cleans tires. It gets the gunk out of the grooves better than a brush can. I spray the cleaner on the tire let it sit for about 5 minutes then hose it off. I follow up with the pressure washer. The tires then are clean as new. I think a brush would work but you need to scrub a lot to remove the old dressing and anti-ozonant from all the groves. The pressure washer takes this grime right off. The Michelin Energy has a lot of small grooves that ring the tire for this stuff to collect in.
Old 09-23-04, 07:38 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Thanks. I'll try it.
Old 10-10-04, 09:31 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

I tried Eagle One spray instead of Meguiars. Used it with an applicator. This time I used it on my new tires, the ContiExtremeContact. No overspray at all. And the shine is more satin then glossy. I like that better. I now begin to think it depends on the tire also, because the Michelin Energy tires would fling that dressing off onto the side of the car. Each tire I think reacts differently to different tire dressing sprays and you need to experiment with the different brands until you get the desired result. I am now using so ittle of the tire dressing that when I spray onto an applicator, I can only do about 1/4 of the tire surface. I then spray just a little more on the applcator and again do it until it basically becomes dry. Got great results this way.
Old 10-10-04, 12:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

i use no touch wet & protect, by permatexindustries. its available at sams. it comes in an aresol sprya can.
Old 11-04-04, 10:22 PM
TTEHarrier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 303

Last edited by TTEHarrier; 11-09-04 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 07:48 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

I think I finally found the tire dressing that I like. Recently I picked up some Zaino polish and decided to try Zaino Perfect Tire Shine. Finally something I really like. I detailed my whole car last week. Washed it with Dawn and polished it with ZFX+Z2 combo. While I was waiting for the polish to dry on the car, I did the tires with Zaino tire dressing. This is the one I really like. This dressing dries on the tires in about 30min. And it gives nice satin finish. Best part is that it dries completely. When you touch it after it dries, it is not oily at all. Besides, it doesn't sling off the tires at all. Highly recommend this and other zaino products.
Old 03-18-05, 08:01 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I'd be interested in trying some of that out. Where's you get it?
Old 03-18-05, 08:33 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

i just recently foudn a new one too...Meguiars Hot Shine. it sprays from an aresol can. pretty neet, has an adjustable nozzle and everything.
Old 03-18-05, 08:35 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I don't trust spray cans. I prefer to use an applicator sponge. I used sprays before but it got all on my rims.
Old 03-18-05, 08:44 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

thats why you wipe it off...no harm no foul IMO..

applied with the spray. nice even coverage. i personally cant stand the sponge, i always make a mess. maybe its just me though.

the bet part about this Hot SHine, i have yet to see it spin off and get on any part fo the car other than the tires. Good Stuff
Old 03-19-05, 05:38 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing this thread again is inspiring me to go out today and reapply for the first time in months, there's no point putting it on in the winter up here.

I wouldn't want a spray, when the dealer used to spray stuff on it was always all over the fender panel and they didn't wipe it off.
Old 03-19-05, 05:55 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I use 303 in the winter to protect the tires from the salt and snow.

Quick Reply: Tire Dressings