Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which Finish Do You Prefer?
Wetter looking = Better looking
46.56%
High Gloss
15.85%
Semi-Gloss
16.69%
Low Gloss
7.29%
Satin
9.26%
Flat Black
2.10%
Natural rubber (No dressing)
2.24%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Dressings

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 06:10 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tks, good idea, I just ordered a couple FREE samples of 303 at
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
Old 03-20-05, 04:25 PM
JenzLEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Meguiars Hot Shine tire spray. BUT I don't spray it on the tires directly. I spray it on those tire swipes that are shaped to the contour of your tire and apply it that way so you don't get that nasty spin off and that way it won't get on the wheels.
Old 03-20-05, 04:52 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

i too use hotshine. if you let the tires dry for an hour, you wont have spinoff.
Old 03-21-05, 11:46 AM
JenzLEX
Driver

Don't have that much time to wait. Maybe I sprayed too much in the first place but it's just easier for me and quicker this way.
Old 03-21-05, 04:48 PM
parula
Instructor

Jenz, those tire swipes are great, I use them to keep extra material to a minimum working it around. My stuff doesn't evaporate near as I can tell so I need to get the extra off.
Old 03-26-05, 03:59 PM
parula
Instructor

Default Ref Post 76

Got the free samples today from http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home , 2 small foil packets it says are enough to do a tire each or a 2'x2' area. Pretty nice, waiting for better weather to try it.
Lots of good information in the package too about the 303 products.
Old 04-04-05, 11:30 AM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Grape Tire Dressing from TOTL for me. Unfortunately I can't get it shipped to Cali anymore because of the new regulations.
Old 04-11-05, 03:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to try some tire dressing, but some tire companies warn against using tire dressing. It is because it could remove the ozone inhibitor built into the tire compound. Ozone can slowly deteriorate rubber and makes it less flexible.

Is there a tire dressing out there that promises not to destroy the ozone inhibitor in the tires?
Old 04-11-05, 04:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I like to try some tire dressing, but some tire companies warn against using tire dressing. It is because it could remove the ozone inhibitor built into the tire compound. Ozone can slowly deteriorate rubber and makes it less flexible.

Is there a tire dressing out there that promises not to destroy the ozone inhibitor in the tires?
Actually, yes. 303 Aerospace protectant specifically mentions the fact that tires are designed to 'weep' ozone/uv inhibitor from inside the tire to the surface as the car is driven. This is actually why cars that sit in storage are more prone to tire rot, because this chemical is designed to come to the surface over the life of the tire as it is driven. If the car is never driven then it stays inside the tire.

303 actually contains a 100% compatible UV and ozone inhibitor that stays effective for up to 6 months after application and can even be absorbed into the tire to 'renew' its effectiveness.
Old 04-12-05, 01:08 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
I just recently tried the Stoner "More Shine, Less Time, got it at Pep Boys. It works great, nice nozzle for direct hit to tire wall, so it doesn't spray all over the place. Also no spin off.

finally a couple of people discover this product is the best one out there for tire dressing. and it really is. no silly applicators or wiping and YOU control the shine quotient. generally I have found that one coat is for blackness and 2 coats is for gloss. it really makes your tire look good. even the local dealer's detail/ new car prep guy told me stoner is good but then last week when in for service they must have noticed how much care I put into my car because of the great shine on the paint so to 'take care of me' they put some of that instant spin off greasy crap on my tires and of course it performed as advertised. stoner is a good company that doesnt get the hype the meguiars and others get but for getting your glass clean, tar and crap off your car, and shining your tires they have the best products. even better prices when bought by the case.
Old 06-18-05, 01:08 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Actually, yes. 303 Aerospace protectant specifically mentions the fact that tires are designed to 'weep' ozone/uv inhibitor from inside the tire to the surface as the car is driven. This is actually why cars that sit in storage are more prone to tire rot, because this chemical is designed to come to the surface over the life of the tire as it is driven. If the car is never driven then it stays inside the tire.

303 actually contains a 100% compatible UV and ozone inhibitor that stays effective for up to 6 months after application and can even be absorbed into the tire to 'renew' its effectiveness.
I didn't know you could use 303 on tires too. I use it all over my interior (leather, dash, console) and love it! Even better, less items to buy! Zaino and 303, how simple!
Old 06-25-05, 01:56 PM
yESman
Lead Lap

I like the Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel. Very durable for a gel and leaves a wet but not overly glossy look.
Old 07-19-05, 08:57 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A while back I got a can of Meguiar's Insane Shine tire dressing. I tried it and felt that it was a bit too wet and glossy looking for my taste on my RX330. Well after a couple of days the gloss toned down to a very nice look.

The real impressive thing about this product is it's durability. It's been over a month since I dressed the tires and they still look like they have been freshly dressed. The RX330 is a daily driver and has been through rain and several washings and the stuff is still going strong. This is the most durable dressing I've ever used.
Old 07-19-05, 09:00 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
A while back I got a can of Meguiar's Insane Shine tire dressing. I tried it and felt that it was a bit too wet and glossy looking for my taste on my RX330. Well after a couple of days the gloss toned down to a very nice look.

The real impressive thing about this product is it's durability. It's been over a month since I dressed the tires and they still look like they have been freshly dressed. The RX330 is a daily driver and has been through rain and several washings and the stuff is still going strong. This is the most durable dressing I've ever used.
If that's a picture of your wheel after a month of daily use through rain and everything else without reapplying, then that's very impressive.
Old 08-02-05, 05:22 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'be been using Mother's new Reflections tire dressing. Goes on easy, no spray from tires and seems to last a while. It's been 2 weeks with rain and such here in NYC. Still pretty shiny, not glossy at all. And it smells really good...

Quick Reply: Tire Dressings