Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Which Finish Do You Prefer?
Wetter looking = Better looking
46.56%
High Gloss
15.85%
Semi-Gloss
16.69%
Low Gloss
7.29%
Satin
9.26%
Flat Black
2.10%
Natural rubber (No dressing)
2.24%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Tire Dressings

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 10:02 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Dressings

What type of finish do you prefer?

My RX 300 is Black Onyx, and shiny black tires don't look as good with the black paint. I prefer my tires as black as possible with a satin finish. Little/no reflection really sets off the black paint.

I do like shiny tires on other color cars, though, except on cars with black plastic trim. The tires gloss, or lack of, should match the trim.

Last edited by Daddy-O; 11-21-02 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-21-02, 11:24 AM
skininja
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this Turtle Wax "Wheel Wax" I got a few years ago ... don't know if they still have it ... Anyway, it is not a spray, so it won't fling off your tires onto the car trim ... which was a problem with my pearl white trim. It's like a liquid car wax. Leaves a good shine, but slightly less glossy than an Eagle One Tire Shine type of product ....
Old 11-21-02, 05:43 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'd be interested in something that left my tires flat black as they were when new, without leaving rooster tails down the side of the car.........

Daddy-O, what's best??
Old 11-21-02, 09:46 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mooretorque
I'd be interested in something that left my tires flat black as they were when new, without leaving rooster tails down the side of the car.........

Daddy-O, what's best??

Matte Finish: 303 Aerospace protectant

Satin Finish: Meguiar's Endurance (Not Endurance High Gloss)

When the driving is done for the day, apply sparingly with a tire wipe...Plenty of time to dry and no sling.

I use Endurance. Black satin finish, long lasting.
Attached Thumbnails Tire Dressings-303.jpg  
Old 11-21-02, 10:09 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

I use tire wet, black magic i think makes it. lasts a long time, nice and shiny, doesn't get all over the sides, and smells good.
Old 11-22-02, 01:54 PM
Guitarman

Default If you like low gloss satin black tires...

Zaino's tire dressing is a product you should try. I like a "new" looking tire on my black car , and not very glossy. The Zaino can be wiped immediately for a satin shine, or left for a bit to give a medium shine. It never really gets very glossy though, like 303 actually, so if you're looking for a super gloss shine, look elsewhere.

I like it better than the gels because it goes on fast and fills side ribs and letters easily/ Some of those gels can be a bit harder to fill in uniformly, due to the thickness.

Dosen't last as long as the gels (especially Meguiar's ) but 1x weekly works on my car.
Old 11-23-02, 04:46 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexol Vinylex

I use the Lexol brand Vinylex in a blue bottle.

Thin liquid is easy to apply.

1) spray blue paper towel with product and gently apply to tires

2) after doing all 4 tires, go back over each one with a towel and rub a little. It is surprising how much brown ends up on the towel.

3) if you like the black and matte look, you're done.

4) I always spray some more product on a blue paper towel and gently apply one more thin coat. Don't rub off. This gives the tires an attrative sheen IMO. If you're looking for high gloss you should probably try something else....not sure on this though, I've never tried a high gloss product.

I also use this on the non-leather interior of the car and plastic/rubber parts of engine compartment. It's nice to have one product that does all this...my bag of detailing products is big enough.
Old 11-24-02, 08:59 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Default ok.. don't make fun

What is the best way not to get that run off, i use the endurance and i have used the Eagle One i think....I like my tires to look shiney, but even if apply at night the next day i still get the run off, do you guys wipe after putting it on or just let it sit.
Old 11-25-02, 01:25 PM
PakShak
Driver School Candidate

I like Eagle One's Conquors Satin Tire Dressing. It's water based and it does not sling off. Very nice satin look. I don't really care for the ghetto look of the high gloss tire dressings which most are full of silicones.

After I spray on the EO Satin Tire Dressing, I let it sit for about 20-30 min then buff off the residue with a yellow foam applicator pad. Same one that you use to apply wax/polish. This works great.

With Aloha,
~Ranney

Last edited by PakShak; 11-25-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 12:25 AM
Likecars
Rookie

1 coat 303 or 1 Z-16.
Old 11-28-02, 06:51 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

I use this turtle wax green gel stuff, not the shiniest but it lasts.. its really messy to apply so what I do is put my hand in a plastic bag then apply the gel

I would recommend not using the tire shine with the silver blue red or whatever flakes in it- it kicks up on the paint and you cant get it off... hmm forgot who makes it though
Old 12-02-02, 02:58 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: If you like low gloss satin black tires...

Originally posted by Guitarman
Zaino's tire dressing is a product you should try. I like a "new" looking tire on my black car , and not very glossy. The Zaino can be wiped immediately for a satin shine, or left for a bit to give a medium shine. It never really gets very glossy though, like 303 actually, so if you're looking for a super gloss shine, look elsewhere.

I like it better than the gels because it goes on fast and fills side ribs and letters easily/ Some of those gels can be a bit harder to fill in uniformly, due to the thickness.

Dosen't last as long as the gels (especially Meguiar's ) but 1x weekly works on my car.
I've really liked the Zaino too, I'll second everything Guitarman said, right on the money.
Old 12-26-02, 03:49 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my all time favorite is meguiars high gloss. why? cuz it smells so darn good for a tire dressing. if anyone wants my eaggle 1s that i dont like, feel free to pick them up.
Old 12-26-02, 09:03 PM
LexFather

My way:

Spray Tire Wet onto Tire sponge (shaped in the contour of a tire) wipe all 4 tires.

Pack of TIre wipes (TIre Wet) spray Tire wet and wipe, this gets it glossy without excess tire shine to run off when you drive off or take a corner.
Old 12-28-02, 03:18 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by meZoom!
if anyone wants my eaggle 1s that i dont like, feel free to pick them up.
I think I can describe my experience with Eagle1 with 2 words, spin off. That stuff ended up all over my wheels and the side of the car, it looked OK but the spin off is horrible and there is other stuff that looks better.

Quick Reply: Tire Dressings