Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Quick question on detailers/waxes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 09:27 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on detailers/waxes

I've been looking around looking for a quick detailer I can throw on after the weekly wash.

So can someone explain to me what the difference between a quick/speed wax and a quick detailer is?

Right now I think I am going to try out Lucas spray mist and see how that goes.
Old 09-30-12, 12:04 AM
Gelux
Driver School Candidate

Default Optimum Spray Wax

You can use OSW wax as maintenance between waxing, remember it is not a substitude for real waxing.
Old 09-30-12, 06:42 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nilism
I've been looking around looking for a quick detailer I can throw on after the weekly wash.

So can someone explain to me what the difference between a quick/speed wax and a quick detailer is?

Right now I think I am going to try out Lucas spray mist and see how that goes.
Quick detailers are designed to remove light dust, fingerprints, waterspots and the like. They offer little, if any, protection and yet some have gloss enhancers. They are designed for light cleaning without marring the paint.

Quik Wax products are designed to be used on clean paint to boost the existing wax or sealant on your vehicle. They will extend the life of your existing wax or sealant, often by several months. They have no cleaning ability but they do offer enhanced gloss and slickness. Note that Quik Wax products come in both carnauba wax blends and synthetic sealant versions. They can be used over any type of existing wax or sealant coating already on your vehicle.

I use both. I use the QD for light cleaning to remove minor dust and smudges as well as bug crud and bird droppings. After using a QD, or after a wash, I use the QW to enhance the gloss and slickness of my original sealant. This added slickness makes subsequent cleaning much easier as dirt just doesn't stick to the slick surface. The QW I use doesn't dry white and is a wipe-on / wipe-off product like a QD. I use it on the entire exterior of the car, including vinyl trim, glass and wheels. It can also be used in direct sun. I can do the whole SUV in about 15 minutes. It actually does a great job as a trim dressing too, much better than a lot of dedicated trim products. It gives a RainX like treatment to the glass as well. A good QW is a very versatile product.

There are many great products in these categories, My personal favorites are:

QD - Meguiars M135, a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Detailer

QW - Meguiars D156, a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-30-12 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 11:57 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i used to use CG P40 QD, i still use CG Hybrid V7 but mainly Aquartz Reload Premium b/c i have Hard Body on the car so i'm maintaining it with the reload,,,
Old 09-30-12, 01:52 PM
Nilism
Rookie

Thanks for that extensive post Jim. That clears things up for me.

My car is often parked in a dusty environment when I am at work. It collects a layer of very fine dust, everyday. I'm trying to wash once a week but a mid week QD would be great and a QW on the weekends after washing.

I guess you like Meguiars? Seems to me like you'll go through a LOT of this stuff if you are QD'ing once a week or more. Bulk seems to be the way to go once you find a product you like. I found a wholesale supplier in town here for detailing supplies. I think I'll try to hit them up and see if I can get some stuff a bit cheaper.

This is them

So with the amount of dust I accumulate in a day or two is a QD even the way to go? Or maybe I am better off with a waterless wash, or even just blow off the dust with a quick rinse at the wand wash followed by a QD? I am a little paranoid about grinding stuff into the paint, as I am an amateur.
Old 09-30-12, 02:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nilism
Thanks for that extensive post Jim. That clears things up for me.

My car is often parked in a dusty environment when I am at work. It collects a layer of very fine dust, everyday. I'm trying to wash once a week but a mid week QD would be great and a QW on the weekends after washing.

I guess you like Meguiars? Seems to me like you'll go through a LOT of this stuff if you are QD'ing once a week or more. Bulk seems to be the way to go once you find a product you like. I found a wholesale supplier in town here for detailing supplies. I think I'll try to hit them up and see if I can get some stuff a bit cheaper.

This is them

So with the amount of dust I accumulate in a day or two is a QD even the way to go? Or maybe I am better off with a waterless wash, or even just blow off the dust with a quick rinse at the wand wash followed by a QD? I am a little paranoid about grinding stuff into the paint, as I am an amateur.
I do like Meguiar's. They have been in this business for over 100 years and you don't stay in this business by producing poor products and treating customers poorly. They make decent products and in some areas are clearly the best. They have a toll free support line and have a solid reputation for keeping their customers happy. They have a great guarantee and I've been using their products for over 50 years. I also use other brands for some areas but Meguiar's pretty much covers the entire detailing field with the broadest selection of detailing products.

To your question, a QD sounds like a very suitable product for the removal of light dust. If your car gets rained on that is a different story. A QD will keep your car spotless without marring if you use proper procedure. Use several MF towels and turn them over frequently. You don't want to be rubbing dirt into the paint with any force. There are a few good YouTube videos showing the proper procedure. I believe AutoGeek has a nice video library that may be of interest.

I might also plug a great detailing book. The Art of Detailing by Mike Phillips. This book is available in print or PDF. It has answers for nearly every question asked about detailing. This book offers tips for both beginners and advanced detailers alike. Very good resource, IMO.
Old 10-01-12, 08:05 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

basically the same thing except detailer has no wax in it
but detailer's job is mainly to clean and wax is to..well...wax

I use Duragloss Aquawax for quick wax and ONR solution for detailer
Old 10-07-12, 10:11 AM
sgmbab
Driver

I used the synthetic x-press spray wax and it was great. No white residues, smell great, and good protection. I also use it sometime when i run out of quick detailer to quickly remove dirt (dont know if i should do this or not).