Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing New ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 03:09 PM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing New ISF

I just bought a new 2012 isf in mercury metallic. I have washed it twice and the water beads are already gone. The quality of the factory/dealership waxing process is horrible. What do you guys recommend for long lasting protection especially during the winter months. I won't be driving it on salted roads but car maybe outside in the elements. I will be getting the lexus car cover for it though. thanks
Old 10-15-12, 03:40 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please do remember that beading does not always happen when you wax a car. There are sealants and waxes that tend to sheet water instead of beading on the surface. In any case, unless you requested a detail from the Dealership, I highly doubt there is any protection on there other than the temporary protection it has from factory. That is why any car I buy home gets a full wax from my own hands.

As for protection, I highly recommend Collinite 476 or 845. Those are two highly respected waxes on the market today. That should last you till the end of winter and maybe into the beginning of spring if the surface is clayed first. Good luck!
Old 10-15-12, 03:42 PM
Fation
Driver

Originally Posted by RizOne
I just bought a new 2012 isf in mercury metallic. I have washed it twice and the water beads are already gone. The quality of the factory/dealership waxing process is horrible. What do you guys recommend for long lasting protection especially during the winter months. I won't be driving it on salted roads but car maybe outside in the elements. I will be getting the lexus car cover for it though. thanks
First I would recommend a clear Bra in the front (dont do it at the dealers, its expensive). To compound I would say use Maguiars 105. This will get rid of the factory paint swirls and other factory paint problems). Then I would recommend putting Magiars 205 polish to get rid of the imperfections. To seal and protect the paint use a good sealant such as the black fire wet diamond found at (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...t-diamond.html). After that for additional shine i suggest a carnauba wax of your choice.
-Remember to have the car spotless before starting the correction process.
Old 10-15-12, 04:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Considering that we have no idea what the paint condition is, there is no reason to suggest one of the harsher compounds on the market today. Least aggressive as possible is best due to clearcoat not regenerating after we polish it off
Old 10-16-12, 05:47 AM
Fation
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Considering that we have no idea what the paint condition is, there is no reason to suggest one of the harsher compounds on the market today. Least aggressive as possible is best due to clearcoat not regenerating after we polish it off
Yes, You sir are absolutely right. Start off with 205 and see if the defects are gone first. If you see that you need something stonger, you can do a half step such as pairing a cutting pad with a polish or simply come on to compound if you see that this "half step" is not getting you the results you would like.
Old 10-16-12, 09:31 AM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

The paint looks great so I don't need anything harsh at this time. I just want better protection for paint than it appears to have. Anyone recommend the Zaino stuff? I do have the clear bra on it already. thanks everyone
Old 10-16-12, 09:46 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanna redo the detail. I would do a wash. Then I would do a wipedown with 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water to get of any fillers the dealership used to get a better picture of the paint. then clay, polish and wax as necessary

I would recommend against a car cover unless the paint is just washed. the car cover and any grit between the paint and the car cover will act like sandpaper to the paint.
Old 10-17-12, 03:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RizOne
The paint looks great so I don't need anything harsh at this time. I just want better protection for paint than it appears to have. Anyone recommend the Zaino stuff? I do have the clear bra on it already. thanks everyone
Don't buy into the Zaino stuff right now. Its great but its old technology. Current and upcoming (hopefully more revealed at SEMA!) is Ceramic sealants, which could be described as an "epoxy paint finish" that covers the cleared paint. Thats how I always seen it as since its pretty durable and scratch resistant. I'd look into OptiCoat 2.0 and just use that for optimal protection