Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Remove baking soda smell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 06:48 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove baking soda smell?

So there was this food smell that lingered around the car for a few days so I used baking soda (in the box to get rid of it. Now the smell of the baking soda wont go away. I don't like using air freshners. Ive tried using lysol and ozium to no avail. Please help.
Old 10-22-12, 10:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sallydrive
So there was this food smell that lingered around the car for a few days so I used baking soda (in the box to get rid of it. Now the smell of the baking soda wont go away. I don't like using air freshners. Ive tried using lysol and ozium to no avail. Please help.
What baking soda smell are you talking about? I have never noticed baking soda having a really noticeable odor when I use it to wash my microfibers. Baking soda absorbs odors when it is put in the fridge or an enclosure, I never notice any kind of odor lingering in the fridge after I take it out so I don't understand what you mean by baking soda odor that won't go away.

Did you put the box in the car and let the baking soda absorb the odors or did you actually sprinkle the baking soda all over the car? If you left it in a box or put it in a bowl and removed the box then the odor of the baking soda or what it absorbed should vanish, if it did not then you need to clean the source that is causing the odor like crumbs of food in the rugs or areas of your car. If you sprinkled it all over your car then you need to vacuum and wash all the baking soda out that has absorbed the odor. A lingering smell in your car that won't go away means there are particles if not pieces of what is causing the odor still in your car that must be removed in order to completely get rid of the smell, simply putting a box of baking soda in there won't do it if you have something still in there giving off a odor.

I would thoroughly wash your floor mats with a odor killing cleaner, you should be able to hose them off with out any damage and let them dry in fresh air, then thoroughly clean with a safe odor killing cleaner as much as your interior as you can, clean the leather if you have it with a woolite and water mixture. Make sure you vacuum underneath the seats and all the nooks and crannies. Open the windows and let the interior to dry out.
Old 10-22-12, 11:12 AM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What baking soda smell are you talking about? I have never noticed baking soda having a really noticeable odor when I use it to wash my microfibers. Baking soda absorbs odors when it is put in the fridge or an enclosure, I never notice any kind of odor lingering in the fridge after I take it out so I don't understand what you mean by baking soda odor that won't go away.

Did you put the box in the car and let the baking soda absorb the odors or did you actually sprinkle the baking soda all over the car? If you left it in a box or put it in a bowl and removed the box then the odor of the baking soda or what it absorbed should vanish, if it did not then you need to clean the source that is causing the odor like crumbs of food in the rugs or areas of your car. If you sprinkled it all over your car then you need to vacuum and wash all the baking soda out that has absorbed the odor. A lingering smell in your car that won't go away means there are particles if not pieces of what is causing the odor still in your car that must be removed in order to completely get rid of the smell, simply putting a box of baking soda in there won't do it if you have something still in there giving off a odor.

I would thoroughly wash your floor mats with a odor killing cleaner, you should be able to hose them off with out any damage and let them dry in fresh air, then thoroughly clean with a safe odor killing cleaner as much as your interior as you can, clean the leather if you have it with a woolite and water mixture. Make sure you vacuum underneath the seats and all the nooks and crannies. Open the windows and let the interior to dry out.
Thanks, I had put baking soda in the box on top of the hand rest every night for a few days, and removed it in the morning when I was ready to drive. So i'm sure nothing had spilled.

I had already wiped the leather down with Letherique (2 steps) Washed the floor mats in washer, vacuumed every inch of the car and wiped down everything else!

Any other ideas?
Old 10-25-12, 08:40 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

What did you actually use? Do you use the one like the pic (for fridge and freezer)? I used it a few times and never get any odor -- it removes any kind of odor and the car has the 100% clean air smell.
Attached Thumbnails Remove baking soda smell?-baking-soda.png  
Old 10-25-12, 11:09 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
What did you actually use? Do you use the one like the pic (for fridge and freezer)? I used it a few times and never get any odor -- it removes any kind of odor and the car has the 100% clean air smell.
^^ this. I've never noticed a baking soda smell...
Old 10-25-12, 11:17 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Wonder Wafers any smell takes any smell out. All you will smell for months is Wonder Wafers. They work really well.
Old 11-13-12, 08:41 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have always heard that lying wadded up newspapers will absorb the odors. Don't know how, but it has worked for me for fridge odors. I would try that, its cheap, and what do you have to loose, but the smell. LOL