Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Repainting onyx black

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 02:02 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repainting onyx black

I would like to respray my entire car factory 202 black. I know Lexus used a single stage, non metallic black for that deep color. Doesn't maaco/1day paint uses single stage paint? Any paint experts in here that can tell me what the difference in factory single stage onyx black and maaco's single stage non metallic black? Is it just the quality of paint and prep work? TIA!
Old 11-11-12, 10:23 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory paint is a single-stage, but in California due to VOC regulations by CARB/BAAQMD/SCAQMD, PPG/DuPont/BASF/Sikkens have all but discontinued their single-stage paints for sale here - unless you want to use a cheaper line like PPG Omni/Shop-Line or DuPont Nason, which Maaco uses. Most body shops will end up using a waterborne basecoat and low-VOC solventborne clearcoat.

Most of the time, it is the painter and prep that will make the difference. The difference between cheap paint and expensive paint - I'll use PPG for an example is the amount of solids, pigments, UV inhibitor and the resin used - PPG Omni is the cheaper stuff, PPG Envirobase/Global and Nexa is the more pricier stuff.
Old 11-11-12, 10:47 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

I've have panels painted in the past, and noticed that they used clear coat over a base coat. Now I have mixed matched panels and cannot color sand the entire car if I wanted to.

So I can no longer get a higher quality, single stage paint in CA? If i were to go to a automotive paint suppler and requested the best single stage, non metallic; how would it compare to what maaco would supply? And if I were to go to a higher end body shop and requested a single stage paint job, does the paint itself differ from what maaco uses?

I know it's all about prepping the car before paint, but how does maaco's single stage paint compare to the factory's single stage? Would prepping the car myself and sending it to maaco just for spraying a smart idea? Sorry for a million questions!

Last edited by gapxguy; 11-11-12 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 07:12 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd think base/clear would give you a better finish in the end than a single stage...bit easier to detail down the line too.
Old 11-12-12, 09:04 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Indeed, definately pop for a repaint the right way, and go with a multi-stage job. MUCH more durable and easier to maintain down the line.

But ultimately, if you are determined to keep it a single stage, then you are likely only going to find it in someone's backyard garage/mom and pop operation.
Old 11-12-12, 09:08 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My suggestion, don't go to maaco
Old 11-12-12, 02:17 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

I understand the pros of bc/cc 2 stage, but from what I read, Lexus used single stage on black onyx for the depth and richness that a clear coat would take away. Not that I'm taking my car to maaco, but I know they commonly shoot single stage paint. My question is, what is the difference in paint product if I were to go to a high end body shop vs. maaco for a single stage paint job? Are they using the same paint or is there a difference in quality of brands, etc?
Old 11-12-12, 06:52 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

According to Toyota, color code 202 is cleared, but the LX/LC/Prius/Corolla are not cleared. And there was a Lexus TSIB from 1996, and it had the color code - which was PPG 9300.

In California, all the paint companies no longer sell a "premium" single stage due to VOC such as PPG Deltron Concept/DuPont ChromaOne or ChromaPremier SS, and you can also count the Europeans such as Nexa Autocolor(which is European PPG), Spies Hecker and Standox(which DuPont owns), BASF and Sikkens out too. You can use a cheaper single stage like PPG Omni or DuPont Nason or you can use a "premium" base/clear system. Maaco from what I've heard uses DuPont Nason or Sherwin-Williams' cheaper line.

Also, I don't recommend painting your own stuff at home - mostly because the isocyanate hardeners used in the primers and clearcoat is some NASTY stuff. Even with a respirator you're not fully protected from the stuff, painters at body shops wear Tyvek or nylon shootsuits and full-flow air masks to protect themselves.

Last edited by nthach; 11-12-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 11:56 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

My 98 gs definitely has no clear coat. I remember buffing it the first time and saw black on the buffer pad. Also, as dull as the paint is, there's no clear coat failure. Isn't ppg 9300 labelled "triple black"? I have repainted panels on the car that is bc/cc and the paint has a cloudiness to it compared to the factory SS. If I were to take my car to a body shop and requested a SS paint job like the original, will they only be able to use the lower end line of paint? If so, what kind of result would be expected? I'm not painting it myself btw, just thought I'd be able to prep it for paint and have a shop shoot it.
Old 11-13-12, 01:25 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gapxguy
My 98 gs definitely has no clear coat. I remember buffing it the first time and saw black on the buffer pad. Also, as dull as the paint is, there's no clear coat failure. Isn't ppg 9300 labelled "triple black"? I have repainted panels on the car that is bc/cc and the paint has a cloudiness to it compared to the factory SS. If I were to take my car to a body shop and requested a SS paint job like the original, will they only be able to use the lower end line of paint? If so, what kind of result would be expected? I'm not painting it myself btw, just thought I'd be able to prep it for paint and have a shop shoot it.
If their paint supplier stocks the "premium" line in SS, they can still use it. In CA the VOC limit for single stage is 2.8lbs/gal. PPG doesn't list a single stage anymore on their current one, but DuPont has a current one up, and it looks like your shop may need to shoot Imron which is a PITA to spray and buff.
http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...ev03-12_r1.pdf