Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Look At What I got Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 09:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

To say it's better or worse than Hardbody is a moot point, don't you think?

The whole purpose of these super coatings is to apply them once and not worry about it for a year/2yr. + time... if Phil just did your car recently (I know it wasn't close to a year) with the HB, and now he is doing it again with the PLE, than you have already misunderstood the point of using a nano coating.

Why not just go all out and have Phil put SV on your car every few months?

IMO, these coatings are not rocket science, I like nano sealants because they are easy to apply and last a long time. However, I guarantee you will NOT see a physical difference between this and HB when both are applied properly with the required prep work (which Phil certainly knows all about).
Old 01-03-13, 10:04 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I completely understand what a nano coating is. What it does, what it doesn't do , the ingredients and so on and so forth. My brother ******up my paint while he had the car long story , won't get into it. Paint had to be corrected and I chose to have him apply 22ple.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 01-03-13 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 09:06 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I completely understand what a nano coating is. What it does, what it doesn't do , the ingredients and so on and so forth. My brother ******up my paint while he had the car long story , won't get into it. Paint had to be corrected and I chose to have him apply 22ple.
Well that makes sense.

Personally, I fully detail my car at least twice a year with a good wash , full decon, and wax. Light machine polishing if needed. And at the end of every detail it's best to apply an LSP anyways, so it doesn't really matter if the HB claims to last 18 months or 24 months. The only time I can see that having some sort of value is for those who only detail their car very rarely between applications.

What boggles my mind is the craze these nano coatings have created within the detailing community, who detail way more frequently than I do (LSP every few weeks or months). Now it's gotten to a point where people are just jumping on the next band wagon just to try out the best new thing with newer coatings that claim longer durability.

It happened when Cquartz/Aquartz came out, happened with BW, than HB, now PLE...

Most of these users couldn't even tell you real world durability data because they don't keep the coating on their car long enough to find out.
Old 01-04-13, 09:56 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well that makes sense.

Personally, I fully detail my car at least twice a year with a good wash , full decon, and wax. Light machine polishing if needed. And at the end of every detail it's best to apply an LSP anyways, so it doesn't really matter if the HB claims to last 18 months or 24 months. The only time I can see that having some sort of value is for those who only detail their car very rarely between applications.

What boggles my mind is the craze these nano coatings have created within the detailing community, who detail way more frequently than I do (LSP every few weeks or months). Now it's gotten to a point where people are just jumping on the next band wagon just to try out the best new thing with newer coatings that claim longer durability.

It happened when Cquartz/Aquartz came out, happened with BW, than HB, now PLE...

Most of these users couldn't even tell you real world durability data because they don't keep the coating on their car long enough to find out.
i totally agree.
Old 01-07-13, 10:53 AM
jamess141
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealent

DSC00971 by sydtoosic, on Flickr

if it's better than HardBody... then HB is going on the shelf in the back. i was going to layer it over the HB, however i was told by a pro detailer that it would not be wise. 22PLE VX1 Pro Signature Glass Coating. it's supposed to put Hard Body to shame.

Newbie here, just picked up a 2013 White on tan leather RX 350... would like to put this sealent on as I live in New England area and the harsh winters can kill a car's finish... Please advise is this something I can apply myself? Outside, freezing temps... or have professionally applied while I watch.... And please let me know if there are any steps to take before one should even consider using this product... My car has been washed a few times ... under 5 at those "touch less" washes since it's freezing cold and i'm unable to to myself at home...
Old 01-07-13, 11:35 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't apply any sealant, wax, or coating outside in freezing temperatures. Bring it inside the garage, get it as clean as possible and apply it by hand in a thin layer. It's not difficult.
Old 01-07-13, 05:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

^ like 97SC stated... this is not to be applied outside. if you're not familiar with detailing, then i would have a professional detailer take care of it. the car has to stay inside for 8/12 hrs. after it's applied. and if it's that cold where you are, and you have no type of heat source in your garage... i wouldn't attempt it. my car is being done in a heated garage. and it will be inside after the 22ple is applied. the car must be completely clean, and stripped of wax,polish, oils etc. clay if needed and correct the paint if needed. follow the 22ple instructions to a T. if you have some one do it, make sure they are familiar with this type of coating.
Old 01-08-13, 07:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

My car is at DD, my buddy Phil is applying about 3 coats of the PLE . I'll post pics when I get the car back.
There is NO benefit for multiple coats of 22ple. It is stated by the manufacturer the it may be a good idea to 2 a second coat on the horizontal surfaces to ensure complete coverage, but anything else is just a waste. Just something to keep in mind.

I applied 22ple vx1 pro coating back in early November, this picture was taken 6 days after the initial application once it was fully cured (since the gloss enhances over the curing process). The car had not be washed since application, so was rather dusty, but still AMAZINGLY glossy. I highly recommend the stuff.

Last edited by eyezack87; 01-08-13 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 08:54 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
There is NO benefit for multiple coats of 22ple. It is stated by the manufacturer the it may be a good idea to 2 a second coat on the horizontal surfaces to ensure complete coverage, but anything else is just a waste. Just something to keep in mind.

I applied 22ple vx1 pro coating back in early November, this picture was taken 6 days after the initial application once it was fully cured (since the gloss enhances over the curing process). The car had not be washed since application, so was rather dusty, but still AMAZINGLY glossy. I highly recommend the stuff.

the 3 was a typo... my bad i was supposed to enter the 2.

Last edited by eyezack87; 01-08-13 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-20-13, 01:53 PM
texbanc
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how did it work out? I am looking for something to help with the "soft" paint problem on my Mica Red 09 GS 460. I just got it about a month ago and can not believe how easy the paint scratches and chips. (My Silver 01 GS 430 never had this problem and neither does my wife's Pearl 05 LS.

Thanks
Old 01-22-13, 08:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

22ple is not "bullet proof" - it definitely still scratches if the proper precautions are not taken. I do not believe it will help with rock chips at all... a clear bra is your best bet there. It will help to reduce swirl marks resulting from washing and drying, however you should be able to minimize these defects by using proper washing & drying techniques and high quality microfiber towels.

The best benefit to products like 22ple is that they act similarly to additional clear coat on your paint. Clear coats are already quite thin, so if I can correct the paint then apply 22ple - next time I need to correct the paint I will be removing less clear coat because the scratches will be in the coating as well as the clear coat, not just the clear coat. So in summary - you would be removing the coating and possibly a very small amount of clear coat rather than simply removing clear coat.

Hope that helps to answer your questions.

Last edited by eyezack87; 01-23-13 at 03:04 PM. Reason: No advertising OR pulling strings for a group buy please