Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Darn rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 02:31 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I touched up about 20-30 small chips with a size 000 paint brush. Don't use anything much bigger or you will just build up a big glob of paint. I fill the chips up gradually over a few days until they are just above the paint surface. I then wet sand with 2000 grit paper using a small rubber block and lots of water. I hand buff the shine back up with scratch compond like 3M or Mothers. After that, I put Xpel over the hood and bumper and I'd say 90% of the filled chips disappeared.

I ordered raw material from Xpel, about 5 feet by 12" wide and made my own paper template to cover my RMM front spoiler.

Bugs come off easier and no hassle with a bra.
Old 12-17-02, 03:41 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
I ordered raw material from Xpel, about 5 feet by 12" wide and made my own paper template to cover my RMM front spoiler.
How difficult was the installation? Was it hard cutting the xpel to exactly match the front spoiler?
Old 12-17-02, 04:06 AM
RMMGS4

Cutting was pretty easy, with a blade knife on top of a hard smooth cutting surface. You can trim with a good set scissors too.

The material stretches so it will be about a half inch longer when installed. This makes it hard to fit some parts. I ended up cutting off some little pieces that were off after I stretched it. I then cut smalls pieces for those areas. Not too bad.

I folded the material all the way under the spoiler, so I didnt really make a super exact cut underneath. You have to stretch it pretty good to get it to curve around without creasing. It's pretty much like doing curved windows when installing window tint. This stuff stretches a lot if needed, if you need to the get creases out. Sometimes stretching can be a good thing.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 12-17-02 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-17-02, 07:14 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

RMMGS4: Thanks for the response. On the one hand I want to install xpel after I repaint my hood and bumper. But if I add the TTE lip, I'm not sure if that'll be possible. I'm hoping someone on this board has successfully completed this procedure.
Old 12-17-02, 09:57 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also vote for German cars having superior paint. My wife's '98 Audi A6 paint job looks nearly perfect, not a single large chip at all, compared to my '98 GS which looks like a poor kid with a horrible case of scared acne.
Old 12-17-02, 03:29 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

I just got the car back from the dealer. Unfortunately they said that there was nothing that they could do, as they are rock chips and there is nothing wrong with the paint. I expected that to be the case. It's not Lexus that is at fault. They gave me an estimate of 1200 bucks to fix a 3 day old car. Ouch. The fortunate part about all of this is that I called my insurance company today and they said that I'm covered under my comprehensive policy and that I should get the car fixed as soon as I get the check. I think that I'll waint until spring though. Thanks for all of your replies and the info on Expel.
Old 12-17-02, 04:20 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Gabe, if you already put the claim in, just fix it yourself and have someone install the Xpel for you... Then with that insurance check and get some necessary mods. For example, Sways, Lower Chasis Brace, Struts/Springs, stuff like that.... But anyway goodluck with the rock chips. I hope everything smooths out for you...

Last edited by MrSypher; 12-17-02 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-17-02, 05:26 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I have personally tried the Langka method. It works great. Espescially on the smaller chips. The larger ones can be covered well, you just need to take your time with the process. I actually used it on a bumper scratch (someone scratched my rear bumper when pulling out of the parking stall) It made it look very good. Although nothing is perfect, it is as close to getting a new paint job without paying for one.

just my .02c

aloha
ricky
Old 12-17-02, 08:03 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Thanks for the comments Ricky....I'm going to wait until spring to get the car painted, but in the interim I'm going to send away for the Langka just in case I end up with some stone chips other than the hood and bumper.
Old 12-17-02, 09:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally posted by Gabeshell
They gave me an estimate of 1200 bucks to fix a 3 day old car.
Gabe,

I've had a similar problem with rock chips on my 98 GS hood, but over time not all at once (maybe one every couple of months ). I finally broke down a couple of months ago and had my hood and front bumper repainted.

I got an estimate from a bodyshop I've used and trusted for $1100 to refinish and paint the hood, front bumper, grill and front lip spoiler. They ended up charging about $650 and looks like a nice job - I'll know this weekend as I'm just past 30 days so I can actually wash and wax the car.

My advice... unless you're going to put your car in auto shows - use the Langka or touchup paint. If it gets bad after a couple of years get a repaint of the impacted area. Your car is so new that any ding or chip is bothersome, but they are still going to happen no matter what you do.

I've decided NOT to use xpel, just don't like the way it looks on a black car like mine. I'd advise you to find a CL member with it on a car the same color as yours and check it out first to make sure you like it if you can.

Good luck!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-17-02 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 12:06 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason why our cars chip easily is because of the paint. due to federal laws, the paint on today's cars is now "softer" than previous years. it's because of all those damn environmentalist and the laws they made to protect the environment.
Old 12-18-02, 11:16 AM
bryanb124
Driver School Candidate

Default use a clear bra

I have a clear bra that 3m puts out...you cannot notice until you are right on top of the car...I've had it on for 3 years now and it looks as good as new...I have NO chips on my hood...it is better to get a professional install but it is costly, about $400 if my memory serves me...

anyway good luck

Bryan
Old 12-21-02, 03:12 AM
RMMGS4

If you've ever tinted windows, especially rear windows with a lot of curvature, you should be able to put the Xpel on with no problem. They are very similar processes.

In California I've seen quotes around $125 and locally here in the bay area I can get it for $75 for the hood and $50 for the bumper.
Old 12-21-02, 06:33 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RMMGS4
In California I've seen quotes around $125 and locally here in the bay area I can get it for $75 for the hood and $50 for the bumper.
Is this just for the install? Or does this price also include the expel kit? The cheapest installer I found in So. Cal. charges $380 for the hood, bumper, and headlamps.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 12-21-02 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-21-02, 01:29 PM
RMMGS4

That's Labor Only.

Hood Film +$145

Bumper Film + $245

Quick Reply: Darn rock chips