Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Darn rock chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 07:33 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darn rock chips

Good evening guys. I'm new to this board and wanted to say hello and ask a question. I just picked up my 03 GS3 this past Saturday. I traded in my 00 TL and can't be more happy with the GS3. Although there is a huge price difference between the Acura and the Lexus, I completely understand why now. This is the most incredible car that I've ever owned. Since I only have 200 miles on the car I'm dismayed that I have some unbelievable rock chips already. I understand that chips happen, but I've got 15-20 chips. I've only driven the car 2 days. I have no chips on the front bumper. They're all on my hood. 4 of the chips are actually the size of a pencil eraser. My father has an 02 ES300 and he only has 1 rock chip.

I have never seen rocks chip a paint so bad...geez, only 200 miles and I don't live on a gravel road or anything. I have searched the archives and see that some of you have chips. Is there a problem with Lexus paint or am I expecting too much? I don't want to make a huge deal out of it, but I can only think what the car will look like after it's a year old. I have the Millenium silver with black interior. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's going to the dealer tomorrow, but I think that they're just going to say that rock chips happen.
Old 12-16-02, 07:43 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

It does happen I hate it too. I have just bought touch up paint and touched it up..It covered it up but if you look you can see 2 differnt levels of paint and the touch of paint is always a bit different. Thats what the dealer will proably do.. I mean I guess you can get bra???But also my lights get stupid marks on them too which sucks.. Don't worry after a few months you wont be so pisted...My winsheild gets marked up easy too...
Old 12-16-02, 07:49 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Gabeshell, Welcome....... Don't feel bad bro, I think within the first month of having my GS I had about 5 good size rock chips in the hood and bumper... I also have Mil. Silver and Black interior, if I were you I'd wait alittle bit and you'll see that you getting theses rock chips will stop.. For some reason when the car is new it tends to be a magnet for chips and scrapes.... Then after you noticed your not getting anymore just touch it up.... Trust me, I know it sounds alittle weird but you'll see....
Old 12-16-02, 07:50 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Hi Purebliss. Thanks for your reply. I know that I'll get over those rotten paint chips. I just didn't think that I would have ones that were so huge. I think that when spring rolls around every year I'll just shell out the bucks to have the hood painted. I have a really good body guy, so I know that I can trust his work.
Old 12-16-02, 08:29 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

They should ban all gravel trucks. But they probaly have the car paint lobby supporting them.
Old 12-16-02, 08:51 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Hey dude

Hello Gabeshell. Welcome to Club Lexus. I just bought a new GS & I have 4 tiny chips on my hood too. I just touched it up w/paint.
My bumper is totally clean not a scratch. I recently purchased Ex-Pel Kit for the front bumper & Headlights so I'll put that on in the spring when my Quest Kit comes in. Where in PA are ya located buddy? Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. Wait till you get some suspension mods. Definately get the TRD or DAIZEN Sway bars. The frnt. & rear sways will completely get rid of the Body Roll that the GS seems to have in corners. The GS should have come with these standard IMO. TRD sways are a must! Good luck w/ the GS bro.

Paul
Old 12-16-02, 09:24 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hey dude

Originally posted by PAULGS430

I recently purchased Ex-Pel Kit for the front bumper & Headlights so I'll put that on in the spring when my Quest Kit comes in.
Paul: How are you fitting the Expel kit onto your body kit? On the Expel website, the kit is pre-cut for the factory bumper and hood. I am planning on getting a TTE lip soon and wondered if I could somehow apply Expel to it.

Gabe: After I got my GS's front end repainted, the paint seemed even more prone to rock chips. Kind of disappointing...my father's S500 is five years old and has maybe one or two tiny chips.
Old 12-16-02, 09:59 PM
altaf
Pole Position

You should consider getting a clear bra like Xpel. This is a good thread with pics:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9836&highlight
Old 12-16-02, 10:23 PM
Gabeshell
Pit Crew

Hey guys, thanks for all of the info. I'll probably just pick up some touch up paint at the dealer tomorrow. I have several very small hoppy paint brushes that I have used in the past to touch up rock chips. I usually touch it up several times so that the chip fills in completely and then use 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand the area and then buff the area. Most of the time this works well, but I'd like to try Langka and see how it works. I've heard both positives and negatives about the product so I'll probably order it and see for myself.

Paul, I'm in the Northeast of PA. About 2.5 hours out of Center City Philly.
Old 12-16-02, 11:44 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

welcome to ClubLexus!!! Good to see another PA rep here. I'm in Pittsburgh. That being said, have you been stuck behind a salt truck on the highway yet???? I have over the past couple weeks. Cost me another 3 or 4 rock chips.....man it just makes your stomach turn when you can actually HEAR your paint being destroyed so I definitely feel ya.

Eric
Old 12-17-02, 12:15 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Unhappy

hello guys,

well, i am just the same as y'all. since i picked up my 02 gs430 back in august, i have had a few noticable chips on my hood. after the 1st one, you just go on with it and don't look at them anymore......

that brings up another question... i also have a 3er for almost 4 years now. comparing german paint job vs japanese paint job, i feel that german paint is much durable. i can hardly find any sizable chips on the 3's hood, but i can fine quite a few on the 4 month old gs. does anyone concur?
Old 12-17-02, 12:56 AM
newyorker
Driver

Default sorry to hear that..

I bought 2003 GS300 silver on oct 1st....hehe..
Do you have rattle problems? I had two area .....visited 5 times dealer service.....It is all gone...But I can still hear little bit when it is really cold and car is not warmed up....but is goes away in about 5 min...so it's ok....DAM! lexus plastics....well I don't have any rock chip....

try this... first clean your car very well....then dry it.. and use cream wax. I use cream wax one time per month...it works....
I had left over from my last BMW (it was white) and when you hear that rock hits your car...it will make less demage... so far I had no chip in my BMW and even LEXus now..no chips..

and also don't or I say never follow truck....SUV. Minivan...anything big....never....and If you have to pass that car?
then pass over in short period time when both car make left coner turn....see the wheel of front car....you will understand.
And be carefull on rainy snowy day....
don't follow dirty or old car...they will make rock flying over to your car...

Here is what I do...and it seems works....I always follow BMW,Mercedes,,LEXUS or sports cars...or somethng looks clean...
then you will be ok....
Old 12-17-02, 12:59 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by panther_v
comparing german paint job vs japanese paint job, i feel that german paint is much durable... does anyone concur?
Haven't owned any other Japanese cars. But compared to my family's Mercedes, my GS's paint damages easier. At least my GS is more reliable!
Old 12-17-02, 02:07 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Default Re: sorry to hear that..

Originally posted by newyorker
I bought 2003 GS300 silver on oct 1st....hehe..
Do you have rattle problems? I had two area .....visited 5 times dealer service.....It is all gone...But I can still hear little bit when it is really cold and car is not warmed up....but is goes away in about 5 min...so it's ok....DAM! lexus plastics....well I don't have any rock chip....
well, only noise i found is the moonroof. i believe it came from that rubber seal surrounding the glass part rubbing against the body. the noise is very noticable when the car body is bending (getting on/off driveway with an angle). i read some earlier post about the fix, but didn't bother to follow up... too lazy...

i've heard about your method of preventing chips. just apply a few coat of wax, it will minimize the chance of getting chipped... but if the rock is big/sharp enough, it will still give you a chip.

i am already over that "new car owner period". an extra chip or ding won't upset me as much as when i first got the car. afterall, a car is just another piece of equipment you own in your lifetime. it will eventually go away. don't get me wrong, i still love my car, but i just don't baby it as much as other people...

my last car lived with me nearly 15 yrs with 210k miles, still ran like a champ and looked pretty darn good still... too bad i had to let it go..
Old 12-17-02, 02:16 AM
panther_v
Rookie

Originally posted by INHOCJP

Haven't owned any other Japanese cars. But compared to my family's Mercedes, my GS's paint damages easier. At least my GS is more reliable!
totally agree, no doubt japanese cars are more reliable than german cars, except the paint job...

my brother has owned vw, mb, bmw. he encountered countless problem with all of them. just recently his 3er's right signal light will stay on even when the switch is at neutral position. the relay went bad and it cost him 70 bucks just for the part. not to mention he replaced his water pump well before 60k mark. i don't recall any major problem during ownership of my 88 accord. i am hoping my 99 3er will not bmw (break my wallet)

Quick Reply: Darn rock chips