Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 08:48 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

thanks Roman..if I was gonna take my car anywhere it was actually gonna be to you lol. I talked to your brother about it before winter. How long would you need it for to do the whole exterior? Pm me when you get a chance.
Old 04-05-13, 07:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is an amazing bundle from Detailer's Domain:

The kit includes:
1 Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher
1 Uber 5 inch vented backing plate
1 Uber 5.5 inch Yellow Cutting Pad (Great for removing heavy defects with a cutting compound)
1 Uber 5.5 inch Orange Medium Cut Pad (Great for moderate defects with either a compound or polish)
1 Uber 5.5 inch Green Polish Pad (Great for 1 step corrections and general polishing to remove basic swirls)
1 Uber 5.5 inch Blue Finishing Pad (Perfect for finish polishing and/or applying wax or sealant)
1 Uber 5.5 inch Black Wax/Sealant Pad (Great for applying wax and/or sealant)
1 Menzerna FG400 Pint (Fast Gloss 400) (an amazing compound that cuts well and finishes down extremely well. It is easy to work with and simple to remove)
1 Menzerna SF4000 Pint (Super Finish PO106FA) (A fantastic finishing polish that will be able to remove any haze left over after compounding)
1 Menzerna Power Lock Sealant Pint (Amazing protection! Looks great too!)
6 Uber Ultra Microfiber Towels 16x16 (A must have! High quality MF towels are one of the most valuable tools you can spend your money on!)

^I would highly recommend ALL of these products to any one looking to enhance their cars finish... beginner or professional, these are some of the best products around. Period. And this is an amazing price for so much stuff!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 04-05-13 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 07:59 AM
Cyanide52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried chemical guys swirl remover?
Old 04-08-13, 09:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Never tried any chemical guys compounds or polishes... big fan of a lot of their other products though. I typically stick with Menzerna and Meguiar's products for correcting paint.
Old 04-08-13, 10:28 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered up some FG400. I have a car to work on this weekend. We will see if I get to try it out.
Old 04-08-13, 01:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

FG400 is fantastic... I have used it with MF cutting pads with amazing results on heavier defects and have even seen people use it with a white polishing pad as a 1 step on a lighter colored car because it finishes down so well.
Old 04-11-13, 04:39 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
FG400 is fantastic... I have used it with MF cutting pads with amazing results on heavier defects and have even seen people use it with a white polishing pad as a 1 step on a lighter colored car because it finishes down so well.
I actually could not resist trying this combo out. I used my own car. I had not been polished in over 1.5 years and I thought hey why not do a panel for fun. My hood had the most damage on it. I went with a MF cutting pad with the FG400. FIrst time using a microfiber pad. It turned out very nicely. I finished it down with a black pad and SF4500 and to finish that a little 22ple of course.

The microfiber pad I found got hotter quicker than the foam pads and tended to have a bit more of a recoil. I need to use them more but they worked very well. The FG400 has a pretty good working time and for sure started flashing faster with the microfiber pads.

First picture is just after polishing and whipping down with 50/50 water/ISO second is after
Second is 18 hours after it was applied.

Just cell phone pics. it took me like 10 tries to get a beading picture cause it just wanted to roll off
Attached Thumbnails Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint-photo-2-.jpg   Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 04-12-13, 10:15 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I've found FG400 to have an almost infinite working time... it may be that you were using too much product on the pad. MF pads don't require as much priming as foam pads because they don't soak up the product like a foam one might.

MF pads do get warm, and this often causes delamination. I would suggest switching pads after each panel to give them time to cool... I typically use 2 MF pads per car, cleaning them after each section and switching to the other pad after each panel.

Nice pics!
Old 04-12-13, 12:00 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I've found FG400 to have an almost infinite working time... it may be that you were using too much product on the pad. MF pads don't require as much priming as foam pads because they don't soak up the product like a foam one might.

MF pads do get warm, and this often causes delamination. I would suggest switching pads after each panel to give them time to cool... I typically use 2 MF pads per car, cleaning them after each section and switching to the other pad after each panel.

Nice pics!
I will for sure use 2 pads from now and seeing as I only did the hood one pad was enough. I primed the pad by spraying the pad once with detail spray and put 3 dime size dots of product to work a 20-20 section.
Old 04-12-13, 12:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Hmm... sounds like you did everything right. Who knows. Good results though nevertheless!
Old 04-12-13, 12:47 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm... sounds like you did everything right. Who knows. Good results though nevertheless!
Its probably cause I am not used to them yet.
Old 04-12-13, 07:04 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

Never tried any chemical guys compounds or polishes... big fan of a lot of their other products though. I typically stick with Menzerna and Meguiar's products for correcting paint.
Once I get my DA I'm gonna try getting rid of the swirls in my obsidian is 350 ill let you know how the CG products work out !
Old 04-13-13, 08:18 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

I'm having a problem idk if you guys could help me out when I go to buff off the product using a quality microfiber it leaves a residue looking scratch the I'm able to remove by rubbing with my finger any ideas what's causing this and how to prevent this?
Old 04-14-13, 06:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyanide52
I'm having a problem idk if you guys could help me out when I go to buff off the product using a quality microfiber it leaves a residue looking scratch the I'm able to remove by rubbing with my finger any ideas what's causing this and how to prevent this?
Sounds like this may be oils? You may be using too much product or not letting it haze fully before removing. It also might be that the paint surface is not cool to the touch when applying and removing or that the humidity is high and slowing the curing.

A QD should remove this film. I'd suggest when next sealing the paint, try using less product and do a swipe test with your finger to make sure the product is fully hazed and doesn't smear before removing the excess. Use of several plush mf towels to remove the product might be helpful as well.
Old 04-14-13, 07:52 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

My guess would be that you are using too much product and are not working it for long enough.

Quick Reply: Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint