Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 07:54 AM
Cyanide52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks the surface was cold and I was removing swirls using CG products should I allow the swirl remover to dry a bit before removing? Or do you think I'm pressing to hard on the MF ?
Old 04-14-13, 08:58 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyanide52
Thanks the surface was cold and I was removing swirls using CG products should I allow the swirl remover to dry a bit before removing? Or do you think I'm pressing to hard on the MF ?
I don't think you were actually getting the swirls out to begin with. Slow down your arms speed, apply 10-15 pounds of pressure, use 3 dime size dots of product for a 2by2 area, work the polish until you can barely see it. See how that works out.
Old 04-14-13, 11:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Cyanide52, my prior comments were assuming you were dealing with a wax or sealant. If you are polishing, then you don't want let it dry or haze. You polish with the swirl remover until the product tends to clear and then wipe up with microfibers. Use several, as they will pick-up the spent paint and polishing oils and will tend to leave oily traces. The best approach, IMO, is to do an IPA wipedown. This will remove the remaining oils and give you a more accurate look at the paint. The oils left behind by polish tend to obscure remaining swirls.
Old 04-15-13, 12:55 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

Thanks guys using less product helped I'm going to redo my hood I removed most of the swirls but the scratches are still there they are quite small and also I was wondering how many times can I pull the swirls out before I run out of clear coat?
Old 04-15-13, 05:27 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys using less product helped I'm going to redo my hood I removed most of the swirls but the scratches are still there they are quite small and also I was wondering how many times can I pull the swirls out before I run out of clear coat?
I would not worry about it. You are using a DA polisher with foam pads. If you are using a compound and pressing hard you may be taking off 4 microns. The average car as 50-75 microns of clear coat from the factory. So you can do it around 15 times. If someone has better info please share. That is just what I have read.
Old 04-15-13, 06:02 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Every car is different... only buff as needed. Lexus clear is soft - if you are using an aggressive approach (cutting pad + compound) I wouldn't do it more than a few times.

Once you get the car cleaned up right, you should only need to use a finish polish to touch it up every year or two.
Old 04-16-13, 06:25 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

There are still many scratches left any ideas how to get rid of em ? They seem to be shallow
Old 04-16-13, 06:41 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

There are still many scratches left any ideas how to get rid of em ? They seem to be shallow
okay what set up are you using to try and remove the swirls?
Old 04-16-13, 07:50 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Pics!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-13, 08:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Keep in mind there is no best product for anything. Alot of it depends on the paint type, the severity of the defects, and the technique you use. You'd be surprised what the slightest change in technique can do using the same polish, same pad, same speed, etc.... I know this saying has been beat to death, but you need to figure out what product an technique works for you and your paint to yield the results you're looking for.

I can use something like D300 on an orange pad and get amazing correction on one paint type, and on another it won't do anything. Likewise, I can run the M205 and get a number of different results just by changing things like arm speed, pressure, how much product you use, how you place it on the pad, how long you work it, and at which speeds you work it. All those factors will play a huge role in the end result.
Old 04-17-13, 06:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^exactly... experiment with your technique, product + pad combos, etc.

/thread
Old 04-17-13, 08:27 AM
Cyanide52
Rookie

right now im using griots DA with a orange ccs cutting pad with chemical guys swirl remover and glaze ill try to take pics this week end also any suggestion on preventing or removing the ling from my MF towels
Old 04-17-13, 08:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

right now im using griots DA with a orange ccs cutting pad with chemical guys swirl remover and glaze ill try to take pics this week end also any suggestion on preventing or removing the ling from my MF towels
Do you mean lint?

Wash MF towels with no other laundry... ie do a load with ONLY microfiber towels and nothing else.

I use a microfiber specific detergent, however you can use any standard detergent that does not contain softeners. Dry them with NO dryer sheets or fabric softener.

If your towels are linting, you are most likely using cheaper towels. I only ever experience linting with the cheap towels I buy to use on interiors... my expensive microfiber that I use specifically for exteriors have never shown any signs of linting. (I wash my interior towels separate from my exterior towels).
Old 04-17-13, 04:15 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

Ya my bad lint ** haha and I haven't washed em yet there brand new ill give em a wash and see if it helps
Old 04-17-13, 04:49 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

The problem I also had was white specks showing up under the sealer and wax I think it's either lint or dust from the compound or polish

Quick Reply: Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint