Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How To Clean an Old Interior!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 03:30 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by pio
anyone else try this?
Yes, I did it on my 91 LS400 with a tan leather interior. I cleaned the inside of the doors, all of the leather and plastic surfaces. It got out the ground in grime and even got rid of the black stain where the door gasket meets the plastic on the outer edges. My seats were already in good shape from the Soft Scrub cleaning last fall

GA400
Old 03-06-03, 03:39 PM
pio
Driver School Candidate

What did you use to condition it afterwards since some members claimed that it made their leather a little dryer. Does your leather seem "brighter".
Old 03-06-03, 04:07 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by pio
What did you use to condition it afterwards since some members claimed that it made their leather a little dryer. Does your leather seem "brighter".
I used Turtle Wax "Emerald Series" leather conditioner. Yes, the leather definitely seems brighter and less dingy. I was concerned about some of the color being abraded off the leather, but that didn't happen, the leather just looks less dingy and dull.
Old 03-07-03, 10:48 AM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Default Tried it.

I just finished doing the passenger side seat with the Fast Orange. I have mixed feelings on using this....I found that the pumice was def a little too gritty and I thought it was a little too abrasive to use on the seats, it left the seats smoother and definitally a lot dryer. You need to get a really good conditioner. The ones I used didnt restore the natural finish it had before. However it had a dramatic affect on the seats, they were a couple of shades lighter. I was so surprised to the point where I thought that the pumice and chemicals had sanded down the leather a little. Was my interior really that color new?????????????????

Another thing is that its not as easy as people made it sound, I def. had to put some elbow grease behind it and scrub.

Anyone know what professional detailers use to clean the seats and where I can get that solution....Id like to compare the two.

But overall........
Old 03-07-03, 12:05 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default Works like a charm

VIsited my friend in AZ with a beige interior 2002 Jan RX and was sad to see how dirty it was (even though its 4 months younger than mine. Looked up the boards and came across this post. AutoZone was running a special for 99c for the small bottle. Used pretty much all of it on the seats. The results are really nice. Previous poster is right- the pumice particles have to be cleaned off with a damp cloth. The arm rests were really dirty on my his RX but after Fast Orange they are really clean.

I used Hide Care (also called Hide Food) made by Connolly available at any Jaguar parts store. Its a very well known and recommended leather conditioner.

On own black perforated leather which is not as dirty as my friend's I havent had to use Fast Orange yet. I just use soapy solution and condition it with Hide Care
Old 03-07-03, 12:50 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default Re: Tried it.

Originally posted by Jackco711
I Another thing is that its not as easy as people made it sound, I def. had to put some elbow grease behind it and scrub.

That is definitely true, It isn't a simple matter of wiping it on and then rinsing it. For my front seats last year I used a stiff nylon brush. Two reasons for that - they were really grimey, and the first generation LS's have really stiff leather that could use some softening anyway, in my opinion.

GA400
Old 03-07-03, 02:10 PM
Jackco711
Pole Position

GA400,

Did you find that it rubbed off a layer of your leather. I think it may have done so in my car and I dont want to do the rest with that stuff. Either way I just checked my car again after I condidtioned the leather and its soft as butter.

Jackco
Old 03-07-03, 05:34 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Jackco711
GA400,

Did you find that it rubbed off a layer of your leather. I think it may have done so in my car and I dont want to do the rest with that stuff. Either way I just checked my car again after I condidtioned the leather and its soft as butter.

Jackco
Jacko,

I don't feel that it rubbed a layer off the leather exactly. It looked hard and glazed which I assumed was old body oils and dirt mixed together. It might have been old conditioner too. I think it make the leather have a more "suede" like feel, whereas before it was hard and stiff. I like it much better now.

On a separate note, does anyone know of a way to fix the small tears on top of the back seat in the rear window where it has been dried out by the sun? Mine is starting to do that. I soak it with conditioner now but the damage has already been done.

GA400
Old 03-07-03, 06:58 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It takes out all the oil based buildup from leather but it does not take a layer of anything. Just make sure you condition well to revitalize your dried up leather/vinyl.
Old 03-07-03, 07:27 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Default w/o Pumice

Would using the Orange Cleaner w/o Pumice help this fear of abrasion?
Old 03-07-03, 07:42 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Yeah it should. You have to see if it cleans as good though. Pumice plays quite an important role in the cleaning process I would imagine.
Old 03-08-03, 06:47 AM
Jackco711
Pole Position

The reason why I think the pumice rubbed a layer off of the leather is because the leather is just too smooth now compared to the rest of the seats which I havent done yet. Anyone else find this to be the case. Maybe this just means its a little bit more cleaner than the others and the dirt is what I feel on the seats. 2nd thing is I wonder if adding a little water to the mix would help at all because I find that as I was rubbing the Orange cleaner started to dry and it became grittier ultimitely leaving just a film of sand on the seat.

Jackco
Old 03-08-03, 08:42 AM
Jackco711
Pole Position

I have great pics of before and after using these orange clean products but the file is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big for this forum and I have no idea how to reduce both the physical size of the pic and compress it enough to post it. They are very detailed pics. If you want me to email em to ya. PM me.
Old 03-08-03, 08:47 AM
SCSC4
Rookie

The stuff I used with remarkble results did not have any pumace in it. It was just Hand cleaner called Orange Goop. I would try the product without the pumace before resorting to the cleaner with pumace.
Old 03-08-03, 04:30 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Jacko, could you send them to retrodrive@iname.com I would like to use them on my site with your agreement. Thx.

P.S. I'll post them for you on here too if you'd like.

Quick Reply: How To Clean an Old Interior!