Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How To Clean an Old Interior!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-02, 08:52 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How To Clean an Old Interior!

As some of you know, I have changed most leather in my interior for new one. While they were installing the new seats my upholstery guy advised me to clean the door panels and dash so it would look as new as the seats. He handed me a huge bottle of Fast Orange Hand Cleaner and some cloth and asked me to try it.

My jaw simply dropped when I realized how well it cleans out all the dirt. In a few seconds the whole cloth piece was absolutely black and the spot I was working on has completely changed it's color from almost charcoal grey to light grey. I have done my whole interior and no one can believe that the panels are over 10 years of age.

The best thing about the cleaner is that it has no Petroleum Solvents that can be bad for your leather. The guy who did my seats has been in this industry for over 30 years working for car dealers, private homes, and even military. He has told me that no leather cleaner can clean as well as this Fast Orange stuff and that this is one of the very rare products that won't hurt leather.

1. Take a piece of cloth and put some Fast Orange Hand Cleaner on it.
2. Rub your leather/vinyl with it until you get all the dirt out (you'll know when)
3 Take another piece of cloth and soak it with water.
4. Go over the spot or a panel you were working on to wash off all the leftovers of Fast Orange (Otherwise you will have white residue)
5. Use the leather conditioner of your choice to get the depth and color back to your leather/vinyl and you are done.

Fast Orange Hand Cleaner is available at your local Autozone or Kragen. and it looks like this:

Try it and gve some feedback please!
Old 12-24-02, 08:57 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Thumbs up

BTW, this is the only product that worked better then Soft Scrub and left a lot less residue.
Old 12-25-02, 04:36 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Thanks for the tip

I will be trying this out when I get back from vacation. My door panels are looking pretty shabby.

GA400
Old 12-26-02, 08:22 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Nice product! Looks like I may have an alternative to using water and paper towels. I am going to get one this weekend try it out.

One question tho, does this cleaner leave the dash with a greasy residue after you wipe it off with a clean cloth?
Old 12-26-02, 09:17 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Once you wash it off it leaves no residue at all. The leather/vinyl is pretty dry after using the product. That is why you need conditioner to revitalize it after cleaning. I got a lot of good comments from friends after cleaning the interior. It really does look like new.
Old 12-26-02, 09:35 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Thanks Retro, this is exactly what I am looking for...something that cleans well and not leave an oily residue.
Old 01-19-03, 09:08 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Anyone tried it yet? I used it on another 2 cars...amazing results!
Old 01-25-03, 12:23 PM
XxLS400xX
Driver

can i use this on my gray leather interior???
Old 01-25-03, 06:10 PM
Samchu329
Pole Position

Cool

Can I use it on my leather seats(grey)? Have you tried it on seats?

or only dash and panels.

Thanx
Old 01-25-03, 10:52 PM
SCSC4
Rookie

All I can say is this orange stuff worked great in my 95 SC400. I had seen the post on the orange hand cleaner so when I was walking through Harbor Freight I saw a bottle of it for $2.95. I thought what the heck I'll give it a try. I have a 91 legend that I thought I would experiement on. After much success I went to the Lexus and I was very pleased with results. I had cleaned my interior pretty good but there were a few things that just would not seem to come clean no matter what I tried. This cleaner got off black scuffs that I could not get out with traditional cleaners and got out dirt that works itself into the grain of the viynl and leather. Also it appeared as if the citrus aspect of the product seemed to condition the viynl as well. As for my leather, I had cleaned it with a traditional leather cleaner and thought I had done a good job, but after doing a spot on the passenger seat their was clean spot the stuck out so bad I had to do the rest of the seat. After I was done it looked almost new. Of couse it didn't take out any of the cracks but the leather looked clean....All I can say that it worked great for me and if you have an older interior that you want to make look like new you should give this stuff a try.

Last edited by SCSC4; 01-25-03 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 08:00 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Hey Pete, I tried it and got good results. I've been wanting to do a write up but my *** is just too lazy to do it. I've used it on my back seats and door panels and it works great.

It cleans the dirt spots on the bottom part of the door panel very well. You know when the passengers gets out their shoes hits the door and the bottom part gets dirty fast.

Since I am too lazy to do a write up I'll just let the picture do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails How To Clean an Old Interior!-gs031-copy.jpg  
Old 01-27-03, 10:41 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, thanks for the tip, I'll definately be doing this when it warms up. It's too cold to effectively condition now so I'll hold off until warmer weather.

Kaban, that looks great; what year is your car, LS it looks like? My black interior (92 ES) doesn't look bad, but I'd be thrilled if I could get it looking that clean.
Old 01-28-03, 08:11 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Kyle, thanks for the compliments. I have a 01 gs and I do try to keep it clean since it's black and all.

The trick I think is to use non greasy stuff like Fast Orange cleaner, before I found out about this product I only use water to clean, which does a good job since it won't get the leather oily and dirt won't mix with it

This usually won't look as nice as oil based cleaner because it will have less shine, but in the long run it will look newier and natural er than the ones cleaned with an oil based cleaner.
Old 02-06-03, 01:42 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Great to see that it is working for you guys. Don't forget to wipe your leather with clean damp towel and then condition it after you use Orange.

Just tried it on white custom leather...cleaned it to the point where the guy thought it has become whiter then when it was new
Old 03-06-03, 01:05 PM
pio
Driver School Candidate

anyone else try this?

Quick Reply: How To Clean an Old Interior!