Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wet Sanding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 04:54 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jmai22
no not air bubbles. more like skin on an orange
try a clay bar from MOTHERS. I use clay on my GS when I have that problem. Takes the problem right away. Just remember to always keep clay moist, never do it on a dry surface.

I would highly suggest it, it will save you alot more than wetsanding your car.

EDIT: The reason i recommend this is because it sounds like overspray. Clay will take overspray off the car.

Last edited by futuregs; 01-05-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-05-03, 06:43 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the "orange peel" is in the paint itself ( the way it was sprayed), the clay won't remedy that. As Futuregs said, clay will take surface contaminants off though ( sap, fallout , overspray etc), so maybe we just aren't sure exactly what it is you have that you're trying to explain. Pics would help but they'd have to be taken from pretty close with the right lighting to tell.

If you feel the paint itself (not something on it) looks uniformly like the surface of an orange, then yes, that is the true definition of "orange peel" and it's caused by ( among other things) poor spraying technique, the wrong type of nozzle for the spray gun, poor reduction of paint etc. and it's going to need to be knocked down ( or"blocked" ) by wet sanding or compounding with a rotary buffer.

Last edited by Guitarman; 01-05-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 04:36 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok today i took a close examination of my car. the car for the most part is smooth, but you see very very little bumps from like 5-10 feet away. the farther you get the worse the reflection is. but from very close like within 1 feet you can barely tell. the paint looks bumpy but "feels" pretty smooth. i'm going to try clay bar. can i get it from autozone, pepboys, or kragens. i'm really appreciating your guys help. please i'm willing to try anything but ruin my paint. can't get any worse than this. i also don't have a lot of money to spend so clay bar, waxing idea's are ok. Thanks again all.
Old 01-06-03, 04:53 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clay Bars are cheap, and although I personally doubt it will 100% clear your car's paint job complexion, it will definitely make your car smoother by getting rid of the contaminants that have no doubt been embedded in your paint over the years. The most popular one is Mother's brand in the red box, at any of those stores you mentioned. Meguiar's also sells one but last time i checked, was only available at autozone, definitely not at kragen. I am glad to see you are working on your own car, starting small and cheap. It sounds like a good idea. If you had dirty teeth, you'd first brush them yourself, right?? No need to pay lotsa buckaroos to a dentist who will drill away and polish with scary tools if you can (possibly) get the job done yourself.

edit: clay bar the car, then tell us what you have left on your paint. good luck, have fun w/ the clay and don't drop it on the ground or put it in your pocket.

Last edited by meZoom!; 01-06-03 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-06-03, 05:02 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ALWAYS do all the work on my car. i had my car for over a year now and everysingle thing on this car i have done myself. including. sound deadening, oil changes, breaks, install sound syste, wiring for SS. HID's. clear front/rear turn signals, everything pratically. only thing i have EVER pay anyone to do was to install my spark plugs for me. because its really tough on our cars due to the throttle body in the way and you have to remove everything.

i'll probly do the clay by next week. wish my luck.
Old 01-06-03, 05:13 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jmai22
i ALWAYS do all the work on my car.
i never said you didn't . i was emphasizing my love for any of my fellow clublexus members that love to do any maintenance and upgrades to their car. plus, i was worried you were stuck in a situation/dilemma where you were either gonna wet sand yourself, or shell out the bucks to have to get it done. now its neither, right? enjoy the clay. oh, and dont eat it, either.