Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear Bra for New 2013 ES350 - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 09:40 AM
ctrujillo4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra for New 2013 ES350 - Is it worth it?

So the dealer recommended that I get a clear bra for my new ride. I got a quote from the dealers installer and he quoted me $550 for the hood, side mirrors, door cups. Does that seem reasonable?

On to the bigger question? How many of you CL members have clear bra's on your ride? Is it worth the expense?

I just took a road trip from So-Cal to Vegas and got a nick in the front hood. It made me re-think the whole clear bra issue......
Old 07-10-13, 10:30 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

$550 is very reasonable IMO. Do you know what specific film they are using? There are many different brands/types that may cost more or less. Often times most films look about the same, however some seem to have better clarity than others.

I personally do not have PPF on my car, but I know tons of people do. I don't do much highway driving, but I still have a handful of decent sized chips on my hood unfortunately.

For the price you were quoted at, I would say go for it... just know it will not last the life of the car if you intend on keeping the car for a long time. Typically after 5 years or so the film will look aged and will need to be replaced if you want your car to look its best.

-Zach
Old 07-10-13, 06:46 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus paint is obscenely soft. You should get full bumper, full hood, door cups, and mirrors. If the dealer includes these, it is a very good deal for $500. I got the aforementioned plus full quarter panels and rocker panels for $1100 if I remember correctly.
Old 07-15-13, 05:27 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Japan has the strictest environmental laws in the world so in turn their paint is incredibly soft. I would not think twice about getting it on a Lexus because after a couple of years your car will be chipped up pretty bad.
Old 07-15-13, 07:14 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many say that it's cheaper just to repaint every few years. However, if you have a color like Starfire Pearl like I do, clear bra is the way to go due to the difficulty in matching the surrounding paint.

My mother owns an 08 ES350 and the hood is peppered all the way up. I highly recommend getting full hood coverage.
Old 07-15-13, 07:39 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

If you are someone who cares about how your car looks and/or will be keeping it for a while, there is no question...do it.

I would also consider the rocker panels as my hood is prestine but the areas right behind my front two wheels are peppered with road rash.
Old 07-28-14, 09:05 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the hood is already chipped to some degree, do you guys think it is worth getting the clear bra?

The chips have been filled in DIY, definetely sub-par, but I would hate to get even more chips going forward.
Old 07-29-14, 07:03 AM
Mors
Pole Position

I'm not positive, but a good detailer may be able to do something with the DIY chip filler prior to the clear bra to make it look better. At any rate, you'll want a detailer to do any correction necessary prior to the bra being put on unless the installer knows what he's doing and will do the necessary prep work. For example, if you already have swirl marks or thin minor scratches, these can be corrected. If you don't get them corrected, then they'll always be there since they're under the bra.
I have a clear bra (full hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, partial roof) and am glad I put it on. I think mine ended up close to $3K for all that on an black RX - yes, very expensive and more than what I wanted to pay, but I went to the best reputable installer in the area so I knew it was going to cost. Mine is Suntek and you can't even tell it's there. From other posts on this board about chips, I'm very glad I have one. I've only had the car for a month so I can't say if this will protect it long term.
As was stated before, find out what brand they use (xpel, suntek, 3m, ventureshield, etc). From my research, I think xpel and suntek are the best. I found most complaints from people that had 3m/ventureshield put on; however, with a quality installer, I think 3m may be fine.
And YES - make sure that quote is for FULL hood coverage. Partial hood is just plain dumb.
Old 07-29-14, 10:35 AM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my car I have had a clear bra installed twice over a 5 year period and would recommend it to anyone. Yes you might still get minor rock chips but it looks no where as ugly as seeing a chip on the actual paint.

DO NOT make the mistake of letting someone do your clear bra with little experiance for cheap. You want quality work done.
Old 07-29-14, 05:00 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure they quote you that price? Is it 3M clear bra for the whole front bumper, front hood, side mirrors etc?? 550 from the dealership is very cheap lol. Usually this is on par with a GREAT price done outside.

I have 3M clear bra on my IS250 when I bought it brand new 3 years ago. The front car does not have a single rock chip and still look like new the first day. My IS350 which doens't have clear bra has tons of rock chips in the front bumper lol.
Old 07-30-14, 08:28 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Are you sure they quote you that price? Is it 3M clear bra for the whole front bumper, front hood, side mirrors etc?? 550 from the dealership is very cheap lol. Usually this is on par with a GREAT price done outside.

I have 3M clear bra on my IS250 when I bought it brand new 3 years ago. The front car does not have a single rock chip and still look like new the first day. My IS350 which doens't have clear bra has tons of rock chips in the front bumper lol.
What do you plan to do about the rock chips, if I may ask? Live with it ?
Old 07-30-14, 04:46 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Lexus paint is obscenely soft. You should get full bumper, full hood, door cups, and mirrors. If the dealer includes these, it is a very good deal for $500. I got the aforementioned plus full quarter panels and rocker panels for $1100 if I remember correctly.
What are door cups?
Old 07-31-14, 06:58 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Door Cups are the parts behind the handles (where rings can scratch the paint when you open the door)
Old 07-31-14, 08:54 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Can you clay bar and wax the clear bra? Or should you?