Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

E90 M3 Correction w/ Crystal Rock

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 12:14 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E90 M3 Correction w/ Crystal Rock

*This write up is for informational purposes only*

This was my favorite detail to date. I love all M3's especially E9X's so working on this beauty was definitely a treat for me. The exhaust note on this car is stunning as i heard a preview of it's potential while i pulled the car in and out of my garage to check it's progress in the sun.

The car arrived at 7am on Friday morning in the following condition:

These wheels were no exception to the BMW dusty pads rule. You can actually see little piles of brake dust in between the spokes of the rims.

Interior wasn't bad either, just needed some minor work.

Starting from the base up, the wheels received a deliberate spritzer of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner. The tires were cleaned using APC cut at 5:1.

Car was then foamed, rinsed and dried. Now it's time to check the damage under sunlight with no LSP covering up defects.

Various wash marring, light swirls and buffer trails were covering the car.

Car was given two IPA wipedowns at a 60/40 solution, then all trim pieces were taped up.

Correction was completed in three steps:

Microfiber Cutting Discs W/ M305
LC Tangerine w/ 203s
Uber Green 106FA

Front fender 50/50

The clarity that paint corrections bring out is enough to make the paint seem a totally different shade!

The trunk lid under the Fenix LED

Some guys just can't keep up with the pace of a paint correction.*

Man down

B Pillars coming out very nicely*

At the beginning of the second day of polishing i attended to the interior and few minor rock chips around the car.

Old 07-17-13, 12:15 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Pulled the car out to check the progress after the first step was completed

The last two steps were completed sequentially...

Final polish broken down on the Caboose

Two IPA wipe downs then final correction shots were taken

Pulled the car out for the 26th consecutive time to get some final correction shots before the wax dipped in Titanium kryptonite carnuba was applied...

LSP was then applied in two separate applications.*

Not only does Crystal Rock look unlike anything i have ever seen in person, but application is a dream. It goes on extremely easy, wipes off easy with absolutely no smearing! It smells like a mix between coconut, pineapple and... car wax. It really is an amazing thing

Rim's sealed with two layers of Rejex polymer sealant

For the last time, the car was taken into the California rays for the final showcase of 23 hours of cumulative work

Enjoy,

Thanks for looking!

-Tim Coats
Old 07-17-13, 12:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Car looks great! Nice work.

Question... why do IPA wipe downs prior to correction? I cannot think of any benefit to doing so? You are getting ready to polish the surface which will remove any remaining wax/sealant and will also leave polishing oils on the paint which will require another IPA wipe down... just curious as to your logic on doing a wipe down beforehand.

Also, you mentioned "Microfiber Cutting Discs W/ M305"... assuming that is a typo and you either meant D300 or M105?

Attention Professional and Semi-Professional Detailers:

Effective immediately we will no longer allow before/after detail picture threads (also called "Click 'n Brag") on Club Lexus except those posted by active Club Lexus members for detail activities their own personal vehicles OR approved Club Lexus sponsors.
Finally, just because I have been reprimanded for such "informational" threads when I was a new member (though you clearly have been around CL for a while), I will remind you of the rule pasted above... just warning you so you don't get banned or something.

You should share your work on the AutoGeek forums if you are looking for a place to do so.

-Zach
Old 07-17-13, 02:13 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Car looks great! Nice work.

Question... why do IPA wipe downs prior to correction? I cannot think of any benefit to doing so? You are getting ready to polish the surface which will remove any remaining wax/sealant and will also leave polishing oils on the paint which will require another IPA wipe down... just curious as to your logic on doing a wipe down beforehand.

Also, you mentioned "Microfiber Cutting Discs W/ M305"... assuming that is a typo and you either meant D300 or M105?

Finally, just because I have been reprimanded for such "informational" threads when I was a new member (though you clearly have been around CL for a while), I will remind you of the rule pasted above... just warning you so you don't get banned or something.

You should share your work on the AutoGeek forums if you are looking for a place to do so.

-Zach

Thank you for the heads up, it appears that their rules have changed since last time I have posted here. M305 was not a typo but the label I came up with for combining D300 and M105.

I've found that doing IPA wipe downs before correction helps for a couple reasons, plus it only takes about 5 min. I am able to get a much cleaner surface allowing any polishing that follows to be more effective. I've run into micro marring problems before on soft paint like Jerez Black when not doing a preliminary IPA wipedown. And second, It's leaves a better finish to judge the combination needed before doing a test panel. It also gives false readings when checking levels with a PTG.

Hope that helped.
Old 07-17-13, 06:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Great work man.

I can confirm, D300 mixed with M105 is a great combo. Better cut than D300 alone yet less dusting than 105 by itself. We have various names for it at the shop but typically call it "The Mix" lol. It's awesome.
Old 07-17-13, 06:17 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

FIrst of all Welcome back Tim... ITs been awhile and what a thread i must say.. U certainly have come along way in detailing.. Plus i don't anyone else who details in black slacks LMAO... j/k... Wish u were closer so you teach me a few tricks on detailing...

I sure hope the customer was happy because that came better than perfect.... Nice job bud
Old 07-18-13, 07:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Thank you for the heads up, it appears that their rules have changed since last time I have posted here. M305 was not a typo but the label I came up with for combining D300 and M105.

I've found that doing IPA wipe downs before correction helps for a couple reasons, plus it only takes about 5 min. I am able to get a much cleaner surface allowing any polishing that follows to be more effective. I've run into micro marring problems before on soft paint like Jerez Black when not doing a preliminary IPA wipedown. And second, It's leaves a better finish to judge the combination needed before doing a test panel. It also gives false readings when checking levels with a PTG.

Hope that helped.
Ah, I get it now... M305... I also use this combo and love it! The name just didn't "click" when I first read it.

While I can understand wanting an extra clean working surface, the IPA wipedown should have no effect on your thickness readings. A typical coat of wax (according to optimum) is around 20 nanometers (1/50 micron) which is way too small to be detected by a PTG.
Old 07-19-13, 09:15 AM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazing work!
Old 07-20-13, 01:54 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for the compliments gentleman, rules abiding i'll be posting up many more write ups like this one! let me know if you have any questions regarding detailing, I'd be more than happy to answer them!