Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leaving wax/polish on for extend time

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 06:02 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leaving wax/polish on for extend time

I am going on a long vacation in a few days. My car is always parked in a uncovered stall in our condo complex. On my last short 4 days vacation trip I return to find several bird poops all over my car. This time I am thinking about putting on a coat of Zaino car polish and not wipe it off. My thinking is it will provide an extra layer of protection while I am off for 3 weeks vacation. I really don't care what some of the people may think about my car (with unwiped polish) while I am absent. What I want to know is will leaving unwiped Zaino or any other brand of Polish/wax will affect for long period of curing on the black paint surface. My car has Wolf's Chemical Nano Hard Body but it is a bit worn after 6 months. May put a coat of Hard Body I still have some left and then put a coat of Zaino (unwipe) on top of it.

To give you an idea of my environment. I live in a tropical island of Guam near the equator where UV is very high and temperature in the low 90's to high 80's.

Ideally was to purchase a car cover but none is available before I leave next week.
Old 07-20-13, 07:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO, if you leave polish on for that long (along with any bird bombs that may find it's target) you're going to have a hell of a time trying to remove both when you get back. as far as the HB, you should remove it and slap on a coat of OC 2.0. that's just me.
Old 07-20-13, 07:44 PM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
IMO, if you leave polish on for that long (along with any bird bombs that may find it's target) you're going to have a hell of a time trying to remove both when you get back. as far as the HB, you should remove it and slap on a coat of OC 2.0. that's just me.
Did a few searches on the internet and found also that it is better to not leave wax/polish on too long. We put a coat of HB (still have half a bottle) before I leave.

Just got my Mcguiar dual action polisher a few days ago and will be correcting my paint when I return from my vacation. Not too impress with HB. Will be trying out OC 2.0 also.
Old 07-21-13, 07:00 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OP, I lived in Hawaii for many years, have been to Guam a few times on business, and have used Zaino since the mid '90s. I agree, I wouldn't leave Zaino or any sealant or wax on without completing the wipe-off. I doubt there is a lot of difference protection-wise applying another sealant like Hard Body vs. just another layer of Z2 over the Zaino you have already laid down. You could apply some sort of carnauba wax I suppose as a sacrificial layer of sorts over the Zaino. Your challenge of course is if you apply Zaino and many other sort of sealants over something like a wax, it will not bond effectively as it's designed to. Applying anything but Zaino over Zaino on your ride isn't optimum either, but since you're going to correct your paint when you get back, and will be stripping off any sealant or waxes anyway -- good timing to do almost anything you think is best.

Me, since unless things have changed dramatically, you don't have to worry with a lot of birds on Guam and therefore the infamous bird bombs while you're away -- really just heat and UV. If I were you, I'd just get out my ZFX and apply 1-3 layers of Z2 to my ride before I leave, put a good sunscreen in my windshield, and be very confident they will do well handling the UV challenges while you're away.

Hafa Adai. Have a good trip.
Old 07-26-13, 05:04 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just from reading that your car is parked outside in an uncovered stall I would honestly invest in some 22PLE for your car. Mine is parked outside in front of my house 24/7 and this is the next thing i'm looking into after I get the car repainted. It's easy to apply and gives amazing depth/gloss while also protecting the car for 2 years (so they say) but I have heard from plenty with experience that it is an amazing product and lives up to what it says. 22PLE the car and throw some Collinite 845 on your wheels.