Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to remove jean color transfer from seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 08:07 AM
rp187
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove jean color transfer from seats?

I have light grey seats and the color from my jeans has rubbed off on the seats. I tried to use Lexol and Meguiars Quik Detailer but neither has worked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-13, 08:25 AM
mshmsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Walmart and look for
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...Wipes/16550252

you will thank me later! .. I use it on my GS seats every month to clear the jeans rubbed on my seat.

it's the purple wipes.
Old 07-21-13, 08:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I know this is a common problem, but am curious as to what color, type, brand of jeans do this. It would be nice to know what to avoid.

I wear jeans and cut offs 95% of the time and have never had it happen. Until my current car, most of them have had tan/parchment leather interiors.
Old 07-21-13, 09:14 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had this problem generally with newer and darker indigo (generally very dark blue, but not black for some reason) Levi, Wrangler and a couple speciality odd-brand jeans -- even ones that have been washed half a dozen times. Older, well worn jeans don't create as much of a problem. From my experience, issue is most noticeable on ecru, parchment and light gray leather, but if I go through the cleaning process with a pure white towel on even black leather, transfer has also taken place -- it's just not as noticeable, so people don't complain. Issue generally is first noticeable on the side and top of the bolsters where your rear-end slides across into or out of the seat, but the color transfer does get onto other areas (e.g. not as much in center seat and back areas), but some on the inside bolster and also on front of seat cushions where underside of your legs ride and move as you use the pedals.

My solution to this is really in the prevention. Weekly clean damp towel wipe-down to help with hydration and minor clean-up. Occasional (every few weeks) treatment using Leather Master Protection Cream. When clean-up is required, Leather Master Leather Cleaner (it's a foam), on a clean white towel for the seats, armrests and headrests. Put some foam on the towel, spread, rub a little, let it dwell for a couple minutes, wipe off with a clean and dry section of the towel, and repeat until the surface is clean -- then apply Leather Master Protection Cream which will ease removal of the eventual transfer problems the next time, let it dry, and I'm set.
I previously used Zaino Z9 and Z10 (cleaner and the conditioner/protectant) with good results for many years, including with my ecru (off-white) SC430 that had it's top down most of the time. I switched to Leather Master when I purchased my 2013 RX450h based on suggestions in this forum and have not been disappointed, but I do miss the great leather smell that lingers with the Z10, so I still use it on the dash and other synthetic surfaces.

Last edited by BertL; 07-21-13 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added bolster info
Old 07-21-13, 11:10 AM
rp187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mshmsh
Go Walmart and look for
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...Wipes/16550252

you will thank me later! .. I use it on my GS seats every month to clear the jeans rubbed on my seat.

it's the purple wipes.
I already tried to use the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer SPRAY so dunno if the wipes would be any better?
Old 07-21-13, 11:11 AM
rp187
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I've had this problem generally with newer and darker indigo (generally very dark blue, but not black for some reason) Levi, Wrangler and a couple speciality odd-brand jeans -- even ones that have been washed half a dozen times. Older, well worn jeans don't create as much of a problem. From my experience, issue is most noticeable on ecru, parchment and light gray leather, but if I go through the cleaning process with a pure white towel on even black leather, transfer has also taken place -- it's just not as noticeable, so people don't complain. Issue generally is first noticeable on the side and top of the bolsters where your rear-end slides across into or out of the seat, but the color transfer does get onto other areas (e.g. not as much in center seat and back areas), but some on the inside bolster and also on front of seat cushions where underside of your legs ride and move as you use the pedals.

My solution to this is really in the prevention. Weekly clean damp towel wipe-down to help with hydration and minor clean-up. Occasional (every few weeks) treatment using Leather Master Protection Cream. When clean-up is required, Leather Master Leather Cleaner (it's a foam), on a clean white towel for the seats, armrests and headrests. Put some foam on the towel, spread, rub a little, let it dwell for a couple minutes, wipe off with a clean and dry section of the towel, and repeat until the surface is clean -- then apply Leather Master Protection Cream which will ease removal of the eventual transfer problems the next time, let it dry, and I'm set.
I previously used Zaino Z9 and Z10 (cleaner and the conditioner/protectant) with good results for many years, including with my ecru (off-white) SC430 that had it's top down most of the time. I switched to Leather Master when I purchased my 2013 RX450h based on suggestions in this forum and have not been disappointed, but I do miss the great leather smell that lingers with the Z10, so I still use it on the dash and other synthetic surfaces.
Thanks for the info! Probably gonna try the Leather Master.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (11-24-21)
Old 07-21-13, 11:01 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Originally Posted by rp187
I already tried to use the Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer SPRAY so dunno if the wipes would be any better?
I have both! the wipes work better than the spray
Old 07-31-13, 08:01 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

it's very hard to get the jeans dye out of the leather, try the meguiars wipes first if that doesent work go for leatherique
Old 11-18-21, 12:11 PM
pckennedy
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Diluted Dawn dishwashing liquid works.

My local Lexus service rep recommends spraying a diluted solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid onto the seat and wiping it off. I happen to have Dawn Powerwash, so used that and it worked fine. I followed up by wiping the seat with a damp cloth to remove any residue. As a follow-up protectant, Lexus service recommended treating the seat with 3M Scotchgard.
Old 11-23-21, 04:34 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by pckennedy
My local Lexus service rep recommends spraying a diluted solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid onto the seat and wiping it off. I happen to have Dawn Powerwash, so used that and it worked fine. I followed up by wiping the seat with a damp cloth to remove any residue. As a follow-up protectant, Lexus service recommended treating the seat with 3M Scotchgard.
This, or an all-purpose cleaner, there are lots to choose from. For interior work I use Chemical Guys Nonsense cause it’s colorless and odorless. Spray the APC diluted to about 10:1 onto a microfiber towel or a scrub pad and begin to agitate. If it doesn’t come off with ease, try a more concentrated mix. If that still doesn’t work, you may want to invest in a small Bissell steamer for about $30 which will knock it right out, combined with the APC.

You’d be amazed how well this works.

Nick
Old 11-24-21, 04:53 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,155 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by rp187
Thanks for the info! Probably gonna try the Leather Master.
Leather Master cream the foam has worked for me when others failed.
Old 11-24-21, 07:40 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

My owners manual states woolite and a water mixture.
The following 2 users liked this post by autotech13:
CLass of 1 (11-24-21), NJLEXES (12-01-21)