Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

scratches on the door handle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 05:06 PM
danwguys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratches on the door handle

Hi,

My GX 460 has scratches around the door handle area, they dont look deep but they are visible. Can i use any detailing product and get rid of them?, i don't mind taking to detail shop either if i know what to tell them exactly :-)
Old 07-29-13, 05:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's ScratchX and a foam pad should do the trick if the scratches aren't too deep. Re wax after polishing.

A detail shop should be able to hit this with a DA and a bit of polish and you shouldn't need to tell them much. Just point at the area and tell them to make it better.
Old 07-29-13, 09:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Any detail shop will be able to fix them... or, as previously mentioned, an over-the-counter product like scratch x should help you out.
Old 07-30-13, 05:05 PM
danwguys
Driver School Candidate

Default detail shop

I took the car to a local detail shop and after paying $140+ they mentioned the scratches are deep in clear coat and can't get rid of them. The car is nice and shiny but the scratches mostly around the door handle from previous owner are still there. Scratch X will fix these? should i try?
Old 07-30-13, 06:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by danwguys
I took the car to a local detail shop and after paying $140+ they mentioned the scratches are deep in clear coat and can't get rid of them. The car is nice and shiny but the scratches mostly around the door handle from previous owner are still there. Scratch X will fix these? should i try?
They are probably right. Your paint is about as thick as a piece of printer paper. You can only remove so much paint before failure will occur. Best to live with the scratches or have a repair shop repaint the area if you can't live with it.

You can do some things to hide, or minimize their appearance by using a glaze or a wax that has a lot of filing ability. These will temporarily fill in the scratches and reduce their visibility. This is temporary and when the glaze evaporates they will reappear. Something like Meguiar's Show Car glaze #7 or Clearkote's Red Moose Glaze may help. Important to not use a wax that dries white as it will make the scratch standout.

Another option is to try a coating like OptiCoat 2.0. OC is a thicker coating that will fill the edges and make the scratch less visible and also protect the area for a longer time.
Old 07-31-13, 07:44 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

a good coat of opticoat would be your best bet otherwise just let it be
Old 07-31-13, 08:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Opti-Coat is not typically used as a "filler" type of product therefore I am not sure what type of results you would see if you tried to coat it in order to conceal scratches. That is why the manufacturer recommends that the surface be defect free prior to applying the coating.

If you are hoping to "hide" them... glaze and wax are the best options for "fillers".