Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 12:29 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clay bar?

I'm going to clay bar and wax my car this weekend and was wondering if I should be cautious with the clay bar and the soft paint the car has? I don't want to put anymore swirls in the paint (i probably should polish it before waxing but don't have the time)
Old 08-13-13, 12:33 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

First, I would recommend using a product like Iron X prior to clay to help remove the bonded Iron particles that your clay bar will pick up. This will reduce the amount of time you spend claying and it will reduce the chances of picking up the small particles in your clay which can mar the paint.

Use a fine grade (or ultra fine) clay, as they have less of a chance of marring the paint, and use a high quality lubricant - and plenty of it! If your car has not been clayed in a while, it may take some time to remove the contaminates. You can step up to a more aggressive clay (medium grade) for faster results, but they can be more prone to marring the paint.

I would recommend NanoSkin Glide as a wonderful lubricant (Diluted 7:1).

Claying really requires no pressure, so do not push on the clay while you are rubbing it on the paint. The weight of your hand is all that is needed. Use quick, side-to-side, overlapping motions. The clay should glide effortlessly across the surface. If you feel any friction, use more lubricant. Knead the clay to expose a clean side as needed - inspect the clay often so you are not rubbing debris on your paint. THROW AWAY THE CLAY IF YOU DROP IT ON THE GROUND!

Use "the baggie test" to determine if you have removed the bonded contaminates from the surface, or if you need to continue claying.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 08-13-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 12:56 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post closed - zmcgovern4 killed that question!
Old 08-13-13, 01:33 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
First, I would recommend using a product like Iron X prior to clay to help remove the bonded Iron particles that your clay bar will pick up. This will reduce the amount of time you spend claying and it will reduce the chances of picking up the small particles in your clay which can mar the paint.

Use a fine grade (or ultra fine) clay, as they have less of a chance of marring the paint, and use a high quality lubricant - and plenty of it! If your car has not been clayed in a while, it may take some time to remove the contaminates. You can step up to a more aggressive clay (medium grade) for faster results, but they can be more prone to marring the paint.

I would recommend NanoSkin Glide as a wonderful lubricant (Diluted 7:1).

Claying really requires no pressure, so do not push on the clay while you are rubbing it on the paint. The weight of your hand is all that is needed. Use quick, side-to-side, overlapping motions. The clay should glide effortlessly across the surface. If you feel any friction, use more lubricant. Knead the clay to expose a clean side as needed - inspect the clay often so you are not rubbing debris on your paint. THROW AWAY THE CLAY IF YOU DROP IT ON THE GROUND!

Use "the baggie test" to determine if you have removed the bonded contaminates from the surface, or if you need to continue claying.
Great reply!
Old 08-13-13, 02:39 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I just clayed my car a couple weeks ago for teh first time. I always paid detailers to do it because I was too scared of damaging the paint. Once you get into the groove, it's simple and it doesn't take long at all. My biggest pointer is to use lots of lubricant. I use Zaino products so I put a capful of their carwash soap in a spray bottle with water.
Old 08-13-13, 07:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
I just clayed my car a couple weeks ago for teh first time. I always paid detailers to do it because I was too scared of damaging the paint. Once you get into the groove, it's simple and it doesn't take long at all. My biggest pointer is to use lots of lubricant. I use Zaino products so I put a capful of their carwash soap in a spray bottle with water.
Well you definitely do NOT want to use any kind of soap product in place of clay lube or something like ONR...

Soap will break down and destroy the clay bar in no time.
Old 08-13-13, 07:06 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well you definitely do NOT want to use any kind of soap product in place of clay lube or something like ONR...

Did you had a bad experience using car soap or ONR?

I have used clay bar and ONR as clay lube on over 10 cars and its never an issued. Just have to make sure you have the right dilution.

Larry from ammo NYC also uses car soap for his claying.. he didn't do it on the ferraris but definitely demonstrated on a porsche in one of his videos
Old 08-13-13, 07:08 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Per Zaino directly....

THREE SIMPLE STEPS to obtain a true Zaino show car finish

Step 1—STRIP THE OLD WAX
Wash the car, going top to bottom, with Dawn Ultra® liquid detergent.
Thoroughly rinse the car with a pressurized hose and spray nozzle. Make sure all detergent soap is gone. Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.
Dry completely using only clean, soft, absorbent towels.
Step 2—REMOVE CONTAMINANTS AND PREPARE THE SURFACE
Feel all paint surfaces. They should be glassy smooth. Contaminated rough areas are quickly minimized using Zaino Z-18 Claybar™ and a soap and water lubricant. Re-wash and dry the treated areas.

Look for hazy paint, swirl marks or fine scratches. Imperfections are reduced using Zaino's Z-PC Fusion™ paint cleaner and swirl remover.
Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.
Old 08-13-13, 07:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Did you had a bad experience using car soap or ONR?

I have used clay bar and ONR as clay lube on over 10 cars and its never an issued. Just have to make sure you have the right dilution.

Larry from ammo NYC also uses car soap for his claying.. he didn't do it on the ferraris but definitely demonstrated on a porsche in one of his videos
I said do not use soap IN PLACE of clay lube or ONR.

Clay lube and ONR is obviously developed to be used with clay. Soap is not. ONR is not a soap.
Old 08-13-13, 07:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Per Zaino directly....

THREE SIMPLE STEPS to obtain a true Zaino show car finish

Step 1—STRIP THE OLD WAX
Wash the car, going top to bottom, with Dawn Ultra® liquid detergent.
Thoroughly rinse the car with a pressurized hose and spray nozzle. Make sure all detergent soap is gone. Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.
Dry completely using only clean, soft, absorbent towels.
Step 2—REMOVE CONTAMINANTS AND PREPARE THE SURFACE
Feel all paint surfaces. They should be glassy smooth. Contaminated rough areas are quickly minimized using Zaino Z-18 Claybar™ and a soap and water lubricant. Re-wash and dry the treated areas.

Look for hazy paint, swirl marks or fine scratches. Imperfections are reduced using Zaino's Z-PC Fusion™ paint cleaner and swirl remover.
Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.
Zaino is a weird company. They have their own system of products that are meant to work with one another. Using soap with a regular clay bar is a bad idea. Try it out and tell me how you like it lol.
Old 08-13-13, 07:25 PM
know1edge
3rd Gear

Most regular hand soaps are safe to use as well
Old 08-13-13, 08:26 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

I said do not use soap IN PLACE of clay lube or ONR.

Clay lube and ONR is obviously developed to be used with clay. Soap is not. ONR is not a soap.
oh sorry! I misread I'm in concurrence
Old 08-13-13, 09:41 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

I used a capful of Zaino's Car Wash and water as directed and all went well. I've used Zaino for years on all my Lexus vehicles for years. Claying my own car went perfectly and my car is smooth and shining with no swirlmarks or marring of the paint. I liked it very much, thank you. I was expecting it to be more work but it wasn't at all. Granted, the car's finish was maintained well when purchased, it was easy.
Old 08-14-13, 09:38 AM
DOUGLis350
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just clay barred and waxed my car last weekend. I just used the Meguiars kit you buy at autozone for $20. Included two claybars, quick detailer, and microfiber cloth. You use the quick detailer as lubricant. I've used this kit several times before.

The car came out beautiful and is smooth as silk. I waxed it with there NXT 2.0 wax and the end result was spectacular. No marring or swirl marks either. To be honest you'd have to really do something drastically wrong to not claybar the car properly.

I am sure Zaino is very good and I've always wanted to use their products but just a vote that the Meguiars stuff works great too.

Last edited by DOUGLis350; 08-14-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-01-13, 05:40 PM
RstiversB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DOUGLis350
I just clay barred and waxed my car last weekend. I just used the Meguiars kit you buy at autozone for $20. Included two claybars, quick detailer, and microfiber cloth. You use the quick detailer as lubricant. I've used this kit several times before.

The car came out beautiful and is smooth as silk. I waxed it with there NXT 2.0 wax and the end result was spectacular. No marring or swirl marks either. To be honest you'd have to really do something drastically wrong to not claybar the car properly.

I am sure Zaino is very good and I've always wanted to use their products but just a vote that the Meguiars stuff works great too.
I use the exact kit and wax that you do and have always achieved excellent results.

Quick Reply: Clay bar?