Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dust and the black car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 03:32 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dust and the black car...

Couple of questions. I've read several times that folks use a California Duster to get dust off their paint... even after driving the car for several days?!? How in the world do you not scratch the paint? I'm sure you don't swipe the thing across the hood and probably just dab at the dust, but still, if I even look at my car there's a new swirl or scratch on it. So what technique do you use?

Second question. Does anyone remember back in the late '70's / early 80's when people used to hang a rubber strap from their axle that grounded the car when it was sitting still? I guess the theory was that this cut down on static electricity, and helped keep the car cleaner a little longer. Anyone have first hand knowledge whether this is sucessfull or not?

I'm always looking for ways to keep my car clean, but not sure if I wan't to resort to looking like a lowrider to do it... not that there's anything wrong with looking like a lowrider
Old 01-13-03, 09:05 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seņor Marbles,

I use the California Car Duster (CCD) on loose dust that has settled on the paint. If it's been a few days, I rinse the car well with plain water. I then use a Quick Detailer (QD) spray to add lubrication as I lightly wipe the car down, making sure to turn my microfiber (MF) towels often and keep respraying with QD as needed.

I've heard of the strip you mention for keeping static electricity (SE) shocks to a minimum when entering/exiting the vehicle. I've not heard it used to prevent dust build-up (DBU).

Heheh (HH)

Maybe these?
Old 01-14-03, 02:05 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Seņor Marbles,

Heheh (HH)

Maybe these?
You my friend, are killing me!

So are you saying you just hose your car down with straight water (SW) and no soap, and then use a quick detailer (QD) while drying? (?) I can't ever seem to get any appreciable amount of dust off the car with a straight hose down
Old 01-14-03, 03:24 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's right! (TR)

Here's an article about Quick Detailing (QD) by David Bynon, the Mayor of Autopia and care care author/guru. He uses a damp microfiber towel (MF), but the process is similar. A great site with plenty of care care info from car care fanatics.

The key is to use plenty of QD for lube and turn the MF often:
Attached Files
File Type: txt
qd.txt (4.6 KB, 294 views)
Old 01-16-03, 01:43 AM
geees300
Driver

amigos ,
i have used the cali duster before and personally i don't recommend it - dust will scratch the car when you try to rub it off especially when the car is dry. as for the anti static i suggest a case of bounce in the trunk or a can of static guard...lol.
my brothers used to hang those things on their car in the 70's but i don't think it was effective then or now.
i know in japan you can buy a anti static option for the prius because of the electricity it generates and trust me there is static on my prius but for me it's liveable.

geees