Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CLAY Love

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 06:59 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default CLAY Love

I'm sure I'm new to using clay bars but man, I love this thing!
I was always skeptical but after using it to get some over-spray off the wifey's car, I was amazed at how smooth the paint was. After doing my own car roof (and we know how rough they can be even after repeated waxing) I was like holley *****!

Since I wax and clean my car fairly often, I thought my paint was clean but the clay bar pulled all the crap and dirt outta the paint (wish I had a pick to show ya).

To give you an idea of what I mean, drag your finger across your/this monitor. Yeaaa, my roof is that kinda smooth!
Old 08-26-13, 07:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
I'm sure I'm new to using clay bars but man, I love this thing!
I was always skeptical but after using it to get some over-spray off the wifey's car, I was amazed at how smooth the paint was. After doing my own car roof (and we know how rough they can be even after repeated waxing) I was like holley *****!

Since I wax and clean my car fairly often, I thought my paint was clean but the clay bar pulled all the crap and dirt outta the paint (wish I had a pick to show ya).

To give you an idea of what I mean, drag your finger across your/this monitor. Yeaaa, my roof is that kinda smooth!
To really check your work, put a plastic baggie (like a ziplock bag) over your hand and lightly drag your hand over the surface of the car. This is known as the baggie test and will really let you know if your paint is fully decontaminated or not.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...taminants.html
Old 08-26-13, 12:15 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
To really check your work, put a plastic baggie (like a ziplock bag) over your hand and lightly drag your hand over the surface of the car. This is known as the baggie test and will really let you know if your paint is fully decontaminated or not.

The thinner the bag, the easier it is to feel the roughness. So you don't want to use a freezer or food storage bag. You want the really thin sandwich bags. All of our Ziploc brand bags are the thicker storage bags, so I picked up a box of really cheap sandwich bags at the dollar store just for feeling paint. A really thin plastic grocery bag will also do in a pinch.

The best thing I ever used was a cellophane wrapper, like what is wrapped around a pack of cigarettes. That let you feel every little contaminant in the paint.
Old 08-26-13, 04:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Yup, I have box of those really cheap sandwich baggies (the kind without a ziplock end) in the garage for inspecting paint. They are quite thin.
Old 08-26-13, 05:41 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

Thanks for the info