Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What's leather and what's not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 10:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm still going with the whole top surface on the seat and back area.
Old 10-03-13, 08:00 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm still going with the whole top surface on the seat and back area.
What is leather and what is not is almost certainly model-dependent; as my IS250 is the entry-level Lexus model, it would stand to reason that Lexus had to cut a few corners.

Perhaps in more upscale models, they are more generous in adding more leather.

We are pretty sure, however, the leather on our 2010 IS250 is confined to the perforated material on which your bottom and back rest, and the tops of the bolsters immediately adjacent to your bottom but not adjacent to your back.

Under close inspection, the other leather-looking material is absolutely different. It feels different, looks different under glancing light, reacts differently from leather when you press hard with the end of your finger, etc.

The possibility always exists, however, that they used a different type of leather, but I don't think so.

Wish Lexus North America had given me a straightforward answer. Probably Toyota's legal department being a bit gun-shy after having to admit to false advertising claims, in Australia, regardin what's leather and what's not in certain Toyota vehicles.

Link here: http://goo.gl/QAdJdR
Old 10-03-13, 01:52 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jarhead
We are pretty sure, however, the leather on our 2010 IS250 is confined to the perforated material on which your bottom and back rest, and the tops of the bolsters immediately adjacent to your bottom but not adjacent to your back.
I'll have to take a closer look at my wife's car because my "thumb rub test" lead me to believe the face of the seat back bolsters was leather and not synthetic. The sides of the seat back bolster appear to be synthetic though, as do the sides and back of the headrest.

The sides have that grabbiness and squeak:

While the face does not:

Old 10-04-13, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead
I am _still_ uncertain what is the best product to treat (not clean) polyurethane-covered leather. Does any product really get through the polyurethane coating on the leather of the bolsters?
The quick answer is you cannot treat polyurethane coated leather. Nothing goes through the coating to the leather.

Best to treat it like vinyl. I use a product called Ultima Interior Guard Pro. They have an interior shampoo which is also very good.
Old 10-04-13, 03:12 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The quick answer is you cannot treat polyurethane coated leather. Nothing goes through the coating to the leather.
You'll see some dissenting opinions here:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l=1#post517901

including a post by jfelbab:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l=1#post517801

This two-part Meguiar's system appears to be similar to the combination of Leather Master cleaner + Leather Master Protection cream.
Old 10-07-13, 08:58 AM
Jarhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
I'll have to take a closer look at my wife's car because my "thumb rub test" lead me to believe the face of the seat back bolsters was leather and not synthetic. The sides of the seat back bolster appear to be synthetic though, as do the sides and back of the headrest.
Thanks for taking the trouble to post those videos, they are very useful. Thanks also for that link to the discussion at Meguiar's, makes for good reading
Old 10-07-13, 07:12 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll see some dissenting opinions here:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l=1#post517901

including a post by jfelbab:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...l=1#post517801

This two-part Meguiar's system appears to be similar to the combination of Leather Master cleaner + Leather Master Protection cream.
Thanks for the links. I always wondered about the proper care of coated leather and hearing from someone in the business.

Last edited by Arty101; 10-07-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 02:13 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

The leather seating surfaces have a pigment and clear top-coat (possibly polyurethane) that actually make the surface have more in common with vinyl than aniline (uncoated) leather. That's why you'll see many automotive leather care products claim they work just as well with vinyl and plastic, and many automotive care products for plastic and vinyl that claim they work well for (coated) leather. They're not that different.

That's not to say that a leather-specific product wouldn't be better for the leather, but given the choice to use products for aniline leather vs plastic & vinyl on coated leather, I'd choose the plastic & vinyl products. You don't want to be rubbing oily conditioners on coated leather.
I don't think most owners know there leather seats are coated.