Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Review: Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 08:24 AM
Bryan@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review: Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating

Since Chemical Guys has released Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating I have wanting to try it. Today was the perfect day to try it since we were suppose to have nice weather. I decided I would try it on a car that was dark so i could see the results and see how easy it was to apply. This is the first coating i have used that could be applied to multiple surfaces. Before applying Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating the surface needs to be prepped so the coating can bond to the surface properly. To prep the surface i used Detailer’s coating prep polish this product will remove any road film that is on the surface to allow the coating to bond properly. After i went over the whole vehicle with Detailer’s coating prep polish it was time to use Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating. When applying the coating you want to use a foam applicator so i went with the Gold Wax Finger Pocket since it would make application easy.

I found that application was simple. To apply it all you have to do is gently rub it into the surface. Once you have applied the coating wait 20 minutes and come back with a microfiber to knock down any high spots. This coating was really easy to apply and took little effort. I was impressed with the results i got it added a nice shine depth to the paint. At first i was worried that i was going to have marks in the paint because it was a darker color but paint had a perfect reflection. After i was impressed with the reflections and depth the paint gave me i decided to test how it would sheet water. Once i was done watching the mustang sheet water i can say I am impressed with Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating and would recommend it to anyone that wants to protect their car with little effort.

Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating
Old 09-24-13, 08:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Chemical Guys makes some good products.Some companies just relabel CG products with their own name..
Old 09-24-13, 09:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

... and CG seems to relabel a lot of other products with their own name too.

Thanks for the review!

Any major benefits or advantages to this coating vs. something like Opti-Coat, 22ple, CQuartz?
Old 09-24-13, 12:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

CG states the coating lasts for 12 months. I wonder how durable the coating is, and if you can layer it ( hardbody) how easy is it to maintain and with which products should it be maintained with. I know HB should be maintained with wolfs chemicals. The ease of use looks great.