Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is this on my glass? (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 02:10 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default What is this on my glass? (pic)

I've been noticing that there is this residue on my windows. And I've tried to clay it off with no luck. Last resort, I took a razor and scraped it off. I have no idea what it is.

Perhaps tree resin? But it is very evenly coated. There aren't any trees at school or work in the parking lots, and my car is garaged. I looks like a light overspray, but I haven't been anywhere near a paint gun or air gun of any sort. I also noticed it is on my black pillars that are in between the doors.

Question is, if it is also on the paint, how do I get it off. Don't think claying is going to do it, considering it didn't come off the glass. Any help?

The top clean part is where I've scraped it off with my razor, the bottom powdery looking part is what I'm talking about. it won't come off with any window cleaner. I haven't tried anything stronger than Stoner's glass cleaner.
Old 11-10-13, 05:38 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a light polishing compound perhaps? I wouldn't get too aggressive with it as you could do more harm than good. There is a CL member that is "in the know" when it comes to detailing. I think is screen name is "mcgovern"? Let me do some digging and I will post a link to one of his threads or replies....
Old 11-10-13, 05:44 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, only took a few minutes to find a thread... He is the second reply in this thread. Send him a PM with the details of your issue and see what he says you should do.....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...aust-tips.html
Old 11-10-13, 06:59 PM
DFig619
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be just small imperfections caused by pebbles or rocks hitting your windshield. How does it feel?
Old 11-11-13, 06:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

It is very difficult to tell what it is without seeing it in person. From the picture, this just looks like dust that you scraped with a razor blade.

If it is in fact some sort of tree sap, then a bug/tar type product would work well to loosen it. I prefer Stoner Tarminator or CarPro TarX.

If it is overspray, a clay bar would do the trick. Depending on what grade clay you have (ultrafine, fine, medium, aggressive), it may take a long time. I would suggest getting a medium grade clay if that is not what you have already, as that will speed the process up. As with any claying, it is always best to follow with a light polish to remove any light marring that may have occurred during the clay process.
Old 11-11-13, 06:35 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Could be just small imperfections caused by pebbles or rocks hitting your windshield. How does it feel?
There is actually very minimal residue on the front windshield, the picture is from my passenger window. The only part of the windshield that has it, is the part where the wipers do not touch.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
It is very difficult to tell what it is without seeing it in person. From the picture, this just looks like dust that you scraped with a razor blade.

If it is in fact some sort of tree sap, then a bug/tar type product would work well to loosen it. I prefer Stoner Tarminator or CarPro TarX.

If it is overspray, a clay bar would do the trick. Depending on what grade clay you have (ultrafine, fine, medium, aggressive), it may take a long time. I would suggest getting a medium grade clay if that is not what you have already, as that will speed the process up. As with any claying, it is always best to follow with a light polish to remove any light marring that may have occurred during the clay process.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. I tried claying it with what I presume is medium grade meguiars clay kit, with no luck. The razor worked best on the glass, the cleanest result with no scratching.

Yes, it is very hard to see, even in person, you'd have to look at it from an angle with the light hitting it precisely. But it is definitely there. The picture is actually of my passenger window. Strange there is not much of it on the windshield, and the most concentrated part was the back window. I've scraped it all off already. You can't really feel it by hand, except that that glass is not smooth. Once I scraped it off, the glass felt like glass again. The even distribution of the residue would lead you to think it's overspray, but it's every unlikely because I haven't been anywhere near a spray gun. Tree sap is more likely but I still don't get how because I don't park near trees, really ever.

I am considering the more aggressive cleaning solutions, but I was just worried about my paint. The bug/tar removers mentioned will not damage the clear coat? If minimal buffing with compound is required afterward, it would be fine.

Slammer1 Thank you for finding the post man. I appreciate it.
Old 11-11-13, 06:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by kennyD
There is actually very minimal residue on the front windshield, the picture is from my passenger window. The only part of the windshield that has it, is the part where the wipers do not touch.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. I tried claying it with what I presume is medium grade meguiars clay kit, with no luck. The razor worked best on the glass, the cleanest result with no scratching.

Yes, it is very hard to see, even in person, you'd have to look at it from an angle with the light hitting it precisely. But it is definitely there. The picture is actually of my passenger window. Strange there is not much of it on the windshield, and the most concentrated part was the back window. I've scraped it all off already. You can't really feel it by hand, except that that glass is not smooth. Once I scraped it off, the glass felt like glass again. The even distribution of the residue would lead you to think it's overspray, but it's every unlikely because I haven't been anywhere near a spray gun. Tree sap is more likely but I still don't get how because I don't park near trees, really ever.

I am considering the more aggressive cleaning solutions, but I was just worried about my paint. The bug/tar removers mentioned will not damage the clear coat? If minimal buffing with compound is required afterward, it would be fine.

Slammer1 Thank you for finding the post man. I appreciate it.
The Meguiar's Clay Kit includes a very mild grade clay... it is not the best choice for serious contamination. It will still do the trick, but it can take quite a bit longer to produce the results you are after. That kit is perfect for routine maintenance though. Here is a link to some Medium Grade Clay.

It is important to use a bug/tar remover created for the automotive market. Stoner Tarminator and CarPro Tar X are two of the most common tar removal products in the high end detailing market. They are clear coat safe, however they will remove any wax or sealant that has been applied, so you will need to apply a new layer of protection afterwards. It is important to use these products (and most detailing products in general) on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight. Do not allow them to dry on the surface!

Over spray can come from something as simple as your neighbor painting their fence/house or someone nearby using a can of spray paint. The fine paint mist travels quite easily with a slight breeze.

If you notice this contamination on a fair amount of the vehicle, I would first attempt a test spot with the tar remover to see if that had any effect. I would then follow with clay, if needed. In any instance, it is important to apply a new layer of wax to the vehicle afterwards.

What color is your car?

-Zach
Old 11-11-13, 07:18 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
The Meguiar's Clay Kit includes a very mild grade clay... it is not the best choice for serious contamination. It will still do the trick, but it can take quite a bit longer to produce the results you are after. That kit is perfect for routine maintenance though. Here is a link to some Medium Grade Clay.

It is important to use a bug/tar remover created for the automotive market. Stoner Tarminator and CarPro Tar X are two of the most common tar removal products in the high end detailing market. They are clear coat safe, however they will remove any wax or sealant that has been applied, so you will need to apply a new layer of protection afterwards. It is important to use these products (and most detailing products in general) on a cool surface, out of direct sunlight. Do not allow them to dry on the surface!

Over spray can come from something as simple as your neighbor painting their fence/house or someone nearby using a can of spray paint. The fine paint mist travels quite easily with a slight breeze.

If you notice this contamination on a fair amount of the vehicle, I would first attempt a test spot with the tar remover to see if that had any effect. I would then follow with clay, if needed. In any instance, it is important to apply a new layer of wax to the vehicle afterwards.

What color is your car?

-Zach
Same color as the one in your signature. I don't in now the fancy Lexus name for the paint color. I'm going to try the clay and cleaners this weekend. Thanks sir.
Old 11-11-13, 07:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Smokey Granite Mica

Keep us posted as to your results, and feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach