Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black Plastic Console Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 11:10 PM
mynoles1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Plastic Console Scratches

I have read through several searches that using a "Plastic Cleaner/Scratch Remover" on the plastic console helps bring out the scratches some and generally rejuvenates it. (I used the Meguiar's, I believe, but not 100% certain.)

Well, I must not have read the fine print.

My SC400 has two basic plastic types on the console. The "shiny" plastic around the gear shifter and the flatter-black, more coarse plastic that the drink cupholder, ashtray lid and gearshift surrounding is made of.

I used the recommended treatment on the outside plastic and it was almost a disaster. It seemed "pourous" if you will, and it turned a part of the cupholder cover WHITE - same as the treatment. I took hot water and rubbed it over and over for about 20 minutes to get it back to it's previous state. Needless to say, I did not try it elswehere - although it probably would have been fine on the smooth gearshift housing.

What did I do wrong - or better yet - what recommendations would you have from here?? The scratches are small, but I notice them. I want to treat this if possible.

Help!!
Old 01-28-03, 01:52 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm no expert with plasic repair

But on smooth plastic, I've had success with wet sanding and then compounding out with a rubbing compound, then a finer polishing compound. Then finally a good plastic/vinyl protectant like 303 Aerospace . But....you MUST do it by hand. Using a buffer and the resulting heat can actually melt the plastic, or deform it, then you're screwed. One thing though; make sure the color is MOLDED IN and throughout the material, and not just a top layer of color, otherwise you can sand right through. If you see the same color plastic inside the scratch itself, you're likely ok.

I would try 2000 grit wet paper, followed by hand buffing with a liquid rubbing compound (3M ) then follow with a swirl remover type polish. You will likely have to do each step of polishing at least 2x to bring back the shine of the plastic. It's really not that dissimilar to wetsanding or compounding clear headlight lens', a different kind of plastic, but plastic nonetheless.

Don't try this on textured plastic, can't be done without ruining it visually.

Other products to try; Novus (3 step ) polish, Plexus plastic cleaner. Neither of those would be as aggressive as the former approach I listed though. Good luck.