Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wet Sanding

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 04:33 PM
ted920
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wet Sanding

I can get my black GS wet sanded @ a shop for $150.

I need to get rid of my swirl marks.

Will this do it?

Is this safe or dangerous?

Is this a good price?

Also include any info on wet sanding.

They would wet sand the whole car.

Will my car then look BRAND NEW (paint wise)?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 01-26-03, 02:15 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yikes

Wet sanding is a seriously aggressive approach that can remedy many things, but swirls are not one of them. In fact, done incorrectly, wet sanding will CAUSE even worse swirls, if they don't properly compound and polish afterwards (this is mandatory ). Plus , it removes a LOT of paint, and if they sand too much, you will be looking at a repaint within 1-2 years. Removal of more than .3 of a MIL will deplete enough UV inhibitors to cause paint failure (turns white and flakes off ).

Someone is giving you bad information and I hope you read this in time to get your car looked at by some other professional, be it body shop or detailer.

Here is a rundown on what wet sanding can, and can't do, and how to do it. I wrote this last year for a Thunderbird website. I'm a pro detailer and sometime car painter. I have wetsanded show cars that had sufficient paint on them from the body shop. OEM wetsanding is very dicey stuff.

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbir...icID=129.topic

Please don't have anyone wet sand your car for swirls, you only need a swirl remover ( a fine grit polish) and the proper techniques to remedy them. You can even do it yourself by hand. A lot of work, but not impossible. Good luck. Dan H
Old 01-26-03, 02:37 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ted, even if they COULD guarantee the swirls would be gone, it's still way too aggressive an approach to use, and will remove way too much paint. Someone with a rotary buffer and the right pads and polishes can remove 1/2 as much paint and still get your swirls out. Please trust me on this.

Wetsanding is to level orange peel, take out dust and debris from the paint process, etchings from bird droppings and hard water spots, and it can also remove some bigger scratches. But swirls...nosir.