Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz Finest vs. Opti-Coat touch test question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 09:54 AM
shreddog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CQuartz Finest vs. Opti-Coat touch test question

I spoke to a detailer about applying opti-coat and he didn't sound very enthusiastic about the product. Everybody has their own opinion, but what he said that got me reconsidering is that once Opti-coat is applied, it does not feel as smooth to the touch as most people expect. Makes me wonder if Opi-Coat is the right product for me.

The results I've seen (from pictures) by using Cquartz Finest is phenomenal. It could be that I mostly see pictures of black cars (and nothing beats a clean black car). Also, from what I've read, seems to provide that smooth, just waxed finish to it.

Here is my situation: White car, driven once or twice a week, garage kept (shared garage in an apt. building so it's a little dusty). Will wash it using ONR and Gary Dean method every 2 weeks on average (more if it gets driven more or if it gets driven in rain/snow).

Any recomendations on which product would be better for me? I reallty appreciate the glossiness of Cquartz Finest but am unsure if it will be as striking on a white car.

If I decide to go with Cquartz finest, is it only available from the authorized dealers on their website? I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they only sell the product to auhtorized detailers.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-13, 11:08 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In most of the threads I have read comparing the different coatings, most agree that Opti-Coat is the most durable, and provides the most protection against scratches. Most of those same threads usually choose another product as the slickest, or glossiest, or most hydrophobic.

On a white car I'm not sure the difference in finished appearance is going to be very noticeable. So I think it will come down to whether you want the most durability and protection, or something that feels smooth under your fingers and sheds water better. Depending on how often you are willing to reapply, the durability might not matter as much.

I will admit I like to drag my fingers across a clean quarter-panel and feel the paint. Even though I know of its exceptional qualities, Opti-Coat is at the bottom of my list of coatings to try just because I like to touch paint.
Old 12-03-13, 11:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey,

CQuartz Finest and Opti-Coat Pro are two fantastic, yet totally different products in my opinion.

I am a professional installer of both products, so here is my brief summary on the products (note: These are just my opinions!):

Both coatings will provide a durable layer of protection that will help to keep environmental contaminates from reaching your vehicle's painted surface. This layer of protection is crucial in maintaining your vehicle. Both products will make your vehicle much easier to maintain.

CQuartz Finest (<- click for more details) is a thicker, glossier, and slicker feeling coating - no questions about it. I offer this coating to almost all of my clients over opti-coat. Every bottle of Finest is special ordered for each individual customer. Each bottle is serialized, and that serial # is then tied to the vehicle that it is installed. Finest comes with a 2 year warranty and is the best choice for vehicle owners who intend on keeping their vehicles in the best condition. This means you would maintain a regular wash schedule (as you mentioned), keep the paint decontaminated as needed, and have the paint polished and recoated every 2-3 years to maintain the absolute glossiest finish possible.

Finest looks fantastic on EVERY color. White may not produce as dramatic of reflections as a darker vehicle, however with Finest applied, you will surely notice a brilliantly bright and glossy finish.

photo credit: Jonathan McInnis of Absolute Perfection Auto Detailing.

You are correct that only authorized installers may use CQFinest. This product is very exclusive, and only the best are invited to be Pro Installers. It looks like you are in the NY area. If so, Andrew at Big "A" Detailing is your man! He is a great guy and a master in the art of detailing. Tell him I sent you

Big "A" Detailing
516 777 7088
BigADetailing@gmail.com
Queens, NY

Opti-Coat Pro (<- Click for more info) is for an owner who simply wants their vehicle protected and never wants to worry about it again. While this product may provide more in terms of durability, I would not put it in the same league as Finest.

Hope that helps,
Please let me know if you've got any more questions.

-Zach McGovern

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-15-14 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-03-13, 12:21 PM
shreddog
Driver

Thank you both for the info.

Given the relatively low use of the car and the fact that it will be in a garage 80% of the time, what are the chances that the CQFinest last a bit longer than 2 years? This is probably the way I'm going to go, but just curious what leads to the degradation of the product (time, exposure to the elements, etc).

Thanks.
Old 12-03-13, 12:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by shreddog
Thank you both for the info.

Given the relatively low use of the car and the fact that it will be in a garage 80% of the time, what are the chances that the CQFinest last a bit longer than 2 years? This is probably the way I'm going to go, but just curious what leads to the degradation of the product (time, exposure to the elements, etc).

Thanks.
I would say that the chances of CQFinest outlasting 2 years is very high on a "garage queen". I am not aware of any reports suggesting CQuartz Finest will be degraded significantly after 2 years, however that is usually about the time when a car can benefit from a proper polishing process. Overtime, as your paint is subjected to the environment, it will become contaminated, and usually develop some surface defects which will cause the paint to loose some of its luster. For this reason, it is usually recommended to have the car polished and recoated every 2-3 years, but it is truly on an "as needed" basis.

With proper maintenance, the CQuartz Finest Coating will last a VERY long time... especially if the car is seldom driven and it is stored inside a nice garage space.

It is recommended that the car be treated with CarPro Iron X at least once a year to remove any bonded contamination from the surface. I also recommend using CarPro Reload several times each year to help maintain the coating.

Your authorized installer will be able to recommend an ideal maintenance plan for you if you choose, or you may consider performing these tasks on your own.

It sounds like you've already got a good grasp on proper washing since you mentioned the Gary Dean wash method... proper washing is key in helping to maintain a defect free finish.

Please let me know if you've got any other questions!

-Zach
Old 12-03-13, 01:08 PM
shreddog
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I would say that the chances of CQFinest outlasting 2 years is very high on a "garage queen". I am not aware of any reports suggesting CQuartz Finest will be degraded significantly after 2 years, however that is usually about the time when a car can benefit from a proper polishing process. Overtime, as your paint is subjected to the environment, it will become contaminated, and usually develop some surface defects which will cause the paint to loose some of its luster. For this reason, it is usually recommended to have the car polished and recoated every 2-3 years, but it is truly on an "as needed" basis.

With proper maintenance, the CQuartz Finest Coating will last a VERY long time... especially if the car is seldom driven and it is stored inside a nice garage space.

It is recommended that the car be treated with CarPro Iron X at least once a year to remove any bonded contamination from the surface. I also recommend using CarPro Reload several times each year to help maintain the coating.

Your authorized installer will be able to recommend an ideal maintenance plan for you if you choose, or you may consider performing these tasks on your own.

It sounds like you've already got a good grasp on proper washing since you mentioned the Gary Dean wash method... proper washing is key in helping to maintain a defect free finish.

Please let me know if you've got any other questions!

-Zach
Thanks Zach!
Old 12-03-13, 03:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i have a Starfire Pearl LS460, it has been coated with OC 2.0 and i must say that i'm very happy with the decision to go the OC route. Aquartz was mentioned but i decided to do OC, i've tried different toppings... Sonax Polymer Net Shield, Reload, Nano Hydro, Optimum car wax, CG Lava, CG Midnight Sun, HV7, but the best combo for OC 2.0 if you need smoothness and extra gloss is OID, or OOS which i have but haven't applied yet.
Old 12-03-13, 03:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

FWIW - AQuartz is NOT comparable to CQuartz Finest, and OC2.0 is not quite the same as OC Pro, though very similar qualities. Yes, you can top OC to make it "slicker" feeling.

With that being said, I will again say that either coating is a good product. It is my personal opinion that Finest has the edge over Opti-Coat in many situations... I think most installers of both products will agree.
Old 12-03-13, 09:40 PM
louisp_p
Driver

How about wolf's chemical hard body? Is it similar?
Old 12-04-13, 06:05 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by louisp_p
How about wolf's chemical hard body? Is it similar?
sorry to say that HB doesn't hold a candle to CQuatz F or OC 2.0... i used HB in the past on an Obsidian GS and was not happy with the results, finally removed it after a couple of months.