Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Rain X or similar product upkeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 12:21 PM
shreddog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain X or similar product upkeep

Was thinking about using some sort of sealant on the front windshield like Rain X. My question is, do I need to use a product like Invisible Glass for weekly maintenance after the Rain X is put on? Is that redundant or will that cause problems to the sealant itself?

Also, any recommendations for a sealant? From what I've read, Rain-X is as good as any of the other ones out there and is failry inexpensive.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-13, 08:04 AM
dadprice3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain-X a sealant?

I do not believe Rain-X is a sealant as the term is used. It is a treatment to repel water and does a good job, but it is organic based and will degrage with exposure to the elements. I suspect, that if you put something over it, it will impact the effectiveness of the initial rain-X coverage and if there is a time period between the rain-X and follow-up treatment, it woud probably remove the degraded raiin-X.
I clean and treat my glass with rain-x window cleaner, which does both clean and treat the glass, and it does a pretty good job for water repelling.

Another factor is Lexus is, in the newer models, installing glass with water repelling characteristic built into the glass. I don't know the details or how that should be maintained, just read it in my recent RX 350 Purchase.
Old 12-25-13, 09:55 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Car Pro Hydro 2 FTW. the easiest protection for your windows this side of the Mississippi. spray on and rinse off, done. while you're at it you may as well do the whole car with the Hydro 2...
Old 12-25-13, 09:59 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dadprice3
I do not believe Rain-X is a sealant as the term is used. It is a treatment to repel water and does a good job, but it is organic based and will degrage with exposure to the elements. I suspect, that if you put something over it, it will impact the effectiveness of the initial rain-X coverage and if there is a time period between the rain-X and follow-up treatment, it woud probably remove the degraded raiin-X.
I clean and treat my glass with rain-x window cleaner, which does both clean and treat the glass, and it does a pretty good job for water repelling.

Another factor is Lexus is, in the newer models, installing glass with water repelling characteristic built into the glass. I don't know the details or how that should be maintained, just read it in my recent RX 350 Purchase.
it's actually a coating that's applied to the glass. it's okay, there's much better out there as far as applying a hydrophobic product to your glass.