Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 08:30 AM
barry gershinzo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning instrument panel

my insrument cluster has spots on the clear covers that i cant clean up , also the interior turn signal indicators have a muzzy look. what should i do?
Old 02-01-03, 03:19 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

I would probably buy a new plastic instrument cover for it... Assuming the turn signal and gauge faces are on the same panel..
I don't think using plastic polish is a good idea on those lenses.
Old 02-01-03, 10:12 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I hope it's not silicone...

The dash may have been sprayed with a silicone product at one time or another (Armor-All etc.) which caused the permanent stains in the clear lens'. There's nothing much you can do to get it out, as it goes right through the material.

Replacement is most likely the only remedy.

Anyone using a rubber/vinyl/plastic protectant be advised you cannot spray it on the dash for this reason. Best to sponge /wipe it on.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-01-03 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 08:05 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's sure right. I have this problem on my radio and climate control lenses. Not the instrument cluster bezel, thankfully. Nothing seem to take the hazyiness off. I've spoken with a Lexus Certified Detailer about this and he agrees.
Old 02-02-03, 08:52 PM
slowtan
Driver

Default How to replace the bezel

Does anyone have a proecedure for replacing that bezel ?

I know I am asking alot but how about a part # and price if possible.

Stephen
slowtan@houston.rr.com
Old 02-03-03, 10:13 AM
barry gershinzo
Rookie

Default ARMORALL

why is wiping it on better than sraying it on? why would lexus use a material likely to be exposed to this product that would suffer from it. if enough of us have this problem can we get redress from lexus. I dont clean my car the car wash guys do and if they dont know any better than how can i be expected to.? and if this is the case why would lexus use such amaterial, etc
Old 02-03-03, 04:28 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you aerosolize (read;spray) it, you lose control. It goes places you may not want it to. When you wipe it on, you can avoid clear plastic lenses and just apply it where you want it.

It's not intended for clear plastic. It says right on the Armor-All label:

" DO NOT USE ON OR NEAR CLEAR PLASTIC OR PLEXIGLASS SURFACES"

It just comes down to reading the label of a product before you use it, and some people just don't.

We've all been guilty of it with some product at one time or another in life, but here's at least an example that teaches us why we must.

I'm a pro detailer, and I could write NOVELS about damaging stuff I've seen car owners and even other detailers do. One guy RUINED $2500 worth of BMW 18" polished M wheels, because he sprayed Quicksilver wheel cleaner on hot wheels and walked away for 10 minutes. He was the owner of the car, so he had to eat it, and he's a lawyer too. He just didn't read the fine print.

Good luck , Dan H
Old 02-04-03, 07:20 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Re: cleaning instrument panel

Originally posted by barry gershinzo
my insrument cluster has spots on the clear covers that i cant clean up , also the interior turn signal indicators have a muzzy look. what should i do?
I don't know if this will fix your problem, but for $8, I'd think it's worth a shot. It did WONDERS for my headlights!!! My tail lights now look brand new, and are as smooth as a baby's butt!!

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2587&CATID=193

I had to do a couple coats of #3 to get my headlights realitively smooth. Still have some nicks, but my arms were tiring. But I would imagine for your dilemma, #2 to start and finishing with #1 would work.

Last edited by Blanco; 02-04-03 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-06-03, 04:38 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys,
About clearing the instrument panel, I'm not sure if any of you would be willing to try, but I had real bad marks on the instrument panel lens, I tried everything to remove it that I had (glass cleaner etc...), I decided to try a tiny bit of cut & polish... this was during mid last year and the marks haven't shown up since... might be worth a try?
Old 02-06-03, 06:30 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I'm not familiar with that. What is cut & polish?
Old 02-06-03, 07:44 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Carpe,
It's a product used to remove marks left onto the bodywork, such as bumper residue etc left from another car bumping your car... it's a touch abrasive though (I think?)... the one I use is "Kitten Cut & Polish No.1 Bodywork Rejuvenator"... an Australian product, but there should be an American equivalent?
Old 02-06-03, 10:17 PM
strongsail
Instructor

The above link is to Novus plastic polishes - I have used the middle grade on Lexan portlights (windows) on a sailboat that had gotten hazy from UV - it actually worked, but considerable rubbing is required. For the lenses on the stereo and climate control, mask off the surrounding black plastic and start with the finest grade, if that doesn't do it, go to the next grade, do that until you get rid of the marks, then go back through the grades to the finest again, it won't be like new, but pretty close - -