Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Best car wax?
Meguiar's
71.43%
Mother's
28.57%
Turtle
0%
3M
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Bird Poop!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 11:04 AM
Slver19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Crap!

I left my new 03' IS 300 out for a little while when I was on vacation. While I was gone a bird crapped on my trunk. By the time I got back it made a permanent mark on my trunk. I tried waxing it but nothing worked. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened or what to do?
Old 02-07-03, 11:30 AM
Playdo45
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear that...Do a search on the topic in this forum it has been discussed to great lengths.
Good Luck
Old 02-07-03, 11:33 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bird crap contains acidity and the sun baked it through the clear coat and into the paints finish. Not much you can do once the damage is done, you can try wet sanding it down with fine grit sand paper but doubt you will be able to completely make it unnoticeable. I know you couldn’t help it but clean it up a.s.a.p. next time with water.
Old 02-07-03, 06:41 PM
Guitarman

Default My story and some info

I'm a detailer, and it's a common problem that not everyone fully understands. This is a copy/paste from another carsite where I moderate a car care forum. I wrote this to illustrate the need to neutralize the acids in the dropping, and not just assume that wiping it away will always suffice.

FWIW, a seagull dropping can eat completely through clearcoat in as little as 45 minutes! Other birds are similar though it varies depending on their diet. Either way, you're dealing with only hours, not days, before damage is done, sometimes irreversibly.

This exact thing happened to me circa 1998 on my black Thunderbird SC, about 1 year after I painted the car myself (more on that later). My wife had gone shopping at a mall. She parked the car under lighting stanchions, thinking it would be a theft deterrent if the car was lit up well at night. Bad idea. We live 2 miles from the ocean here, and seagulls of course love to sit atop lighting posts anywhere. She came out after a 2 hour shopping spree, saw the bird droppings on the car, and drove home hurriedly. Also remember, I'm a pro detailer, so there was PLENTY of wax on the car at the time.

There were about 4 sizable droppings, 3 of which I removed with some Q/D and a cotton rag, a bit of polish was needed to remove their outline, whew. The last very large dropping on the pass. side front fender, I was not so lucky.

When I removed the dropping, I could see it had already etched the paint badly. This is about 2 1/2 hours or less (hard to know exactly when the birds had their "fun") after the fact, and it wasn't looking good for my fender. I broke out my wet sanding kit, and went to work. About a half-hour later, I buffed it out to a shine again, and...the etch was GONE! I was a happy camper. I shut the lights in my garage off and called it a night, quite content.

Now here's where the moral of the story comes in;

Next day I go out to the garage, look at my pristine car fender ...NOT!!! The etch had reappeared and eaten FURTHER into the clear! This after I had seen perfection the night before!
Ladies and gentleman, when I say to spray the dropping with alcohol and water, I MEAN IT!. If I had neutralized the acid on the paint, I could have avoided having to wetsand the area again, and remove even more paint. Yes, I was again able to remove it, because of the extra paint I applied, but I got hold of a detailing mentor and found out why this happened first. Although I felt quick detailing, wet sanding and polishing the spot was enough to remove the acids, I was wrong. It was from that day forth that I learned acid neutralization is a must, first.

I was only fortunate in that, when I sprayed my car ( DuPont Chroma paint) with 4 coats of clear, I gave myself enough headroom to make this etch removal possible. Trust me, on OEM paint, I would've been S.O.L. . and would have had to do a repaint of the fender. It's as simple as that. OEM paint has about 1.7 mils of clearcoat, ( or about the thickness of a clear cigarette wrapper folded over itself) my car had 2.5 to 3, about 2x that . Today the car looks perfect in that spot, but I learned why bird droppings are the "gift that keeps on giving" if you don't act fast and smart.

Sorry for the novel, but...if it saves any of you the price of a repaint, I've not wasted your time.
Old 02-25-03, 04:08 PM
IS300_Chic
Driver

Default Re: Bird Crap!

Originally posted by Slver19
I left my new 03' IS 300 out for a little while when I was on vacation. While I was gone a bird crapped on my trunk. By the time I got back it made a permanent mark on my trunk. I tried waxing it but nothing worked. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened or what to do?
I hate when you first wash your car and a bird poops on it like an hour later. The best way i can think of to get it off is a bug and tar remover. That stuff works awesome!
Old 02-28-03, 12:45 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: My story and some info

Originally posted by Guitarman
I'm a detailer, and it's a common problem that not everyone fully understands. This is a copy/paste from another carsite where I moderate a car care forum. I wrote this to illustrate the need to neutralize the acids in the dropping, and not just assume that wiping it away will always suffice.

FWIW, a seagull dropping can eat completely through clearcoat in as little as 45 minutes! Other birds are similar though it varies depending on their diet. Either way, you're dealing with only hours, not days, before damage is done, sometimes irreversibly.

This exact thing happened to me circa 1998 on my black Thunderbird SC, about 1 year after I painted the car myself (more on that later). My wife had gone shopping at a mall. She parked the car under lighting stanchions, thinking it would be a theft deterrent if the car was lit up well at night. Bad idea. We live 2 miles from the ocean here, and seagulls of course love to sit atop lighting posts anywhere. She came out after a 2 hour shopping spree, saw the bird droppings on the car, and drove home hurriedly. Also remember, I'm a pro detailer, so there was PLENTY of wax on the car at the time.

There were about 4 sizable droppings, 3 of which I removed with some Q/D and a cotton rag, a bit of polish was needed to remove their outline, whew. The last very large dropping on the pass. side front fender, I was not so lucky.

When I removed the dropping, I could see it had already etched the paint badly. This is about 2 1/2 hours or less (hard to know exactly when the birds had their "fun") after the fact, and it wasn't looking good for my fender. I broke out my wet sanding kit, and went to work. About a half-hour later, I buffed it out to a shine again, and...the etch was GONE! I was a happy camper. I shut the lights in my garage off and called it a night, quite content.

Now here's where the moral of the story comes in;

Next day I go out to the garage, look at my pristine car fender ...NOT!!! The etch had reappeared and eaten FURTHER into the clear! This after I had seen perfection the night before!
Ladies and gentleman, when I say to spray the dropping with alcohol and water, I MEAN IT!. If I had neutralized the acid on the paint, I could have avoided having to wetsand the area again, and remove even more paint. Yes, I was again able to remove it, because of the extra paint I applied, but I got hold of a detailing mentor and found out why this happened first. Although I felt quick detailing, wet sanding and polishing the spot was enough to remove the acids, I was wrong. It was from that day forth that I learned acid neutralization is a must, first.

I was only fortunate in that, when I sprayed my car ( DuPont Chroma paint) with 4 coats of clear, I gave myself enough headroom to make this etch removal possible. Trust me, on OEM paint, I would've been S.O.L. . and would have had to do a repaint of the fender. It's as simple as that. OEM paint has about 1.7 mils of clearcoat, ( or about the thickness of a clear cigarette wrapper folded over itself) my car had 2.5 to 3, about 2x that . Today the car looks perfect in that spot, but I learned why bird droppings are the "gift that keeps on giving" if you don't act fast and smart.

Sorry for the novel, but...if it saves any of you the price of a repaint, I've not wasted your time.
where is that pic of your thunderbird again that you seem to post in all the post i read. lol j/k man. also you got like a couple of these documents saved on your computer or what?? thats the exact same story you wrote in my thread about bird crap. i felt kinda special and thought you spent all that time writing me this long reply. lol. j/k man just givin ya a hard time
Old 02-28-03, 02:21 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

"STUPID BIRD"
Old 02-28-03, 09:24 AM
Guitarman

Default They're articles from web sites

I'm a car care moderator on a couple sites, they are from those sites. I wrote them to answer general questions like the ones you have, so It's easier to just point people to that info, instead of typing out the same info, since that's what it's there for. I was actually asked by the Webmaster of the T-Bird site to write up some FAQ's on these topics, so I obliged.

They took a while to write- I type slow, but I can copy/paste pretty fast!