Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

clay kit for rx350

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 05:50 AM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clay kit for rx350

Do you guys think the meguiars or mothers clay kit from local auto store should be safe to use? Thanks
Old 04-09-14, 06:17 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After using the Nanoskin Auto scrub this past weekend I will never use a claybar again.

Not sure I can post a link to Amazon on here.
Old 04-09-14, 06:26 AM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
No time to order. I plan on doing this tomorrow. Just wanted to know if they are safe
Old 04-09-14, 06:27 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also heard very good things about the Nanoskin Auto Scrub.
Old 04-09-14, 06:37 AM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. Please reply if you used the products I mentioned.
Old 04-09-14, 06:41 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes, either are safe IF you use them properly with plenty of the supplied clay lube (QD). Wash the car first and then do a small section at a time folding the clay and re-kneeding it into a flat clean pad often. The clay should glide over the paint on a film of the lube. Feel the finish after you cay the section to insure that all the contaminants are removed. Don't apply excessive pressure. Let the clay do its work. The clay will catch the contaminants and sheer them off level with the paint or it will pull the contaminants off the paint into the clay. So as not to scratch the paint, keep the clay surface clean by refolding often.

I'd advise cutting the clay bar(s) into two or three pieces and if you drop a piece while using it, toss it and grab a new piece. I clay paint doing the horizontal surfaces first then the vertical panels. I then move on to the glass and finally the wheels. When finished with the wheels, I toss the clay as it will have brake dust imbedded and should not be used on paint again.

When finished, the paint should feel as smooth as glass. Ready for a polish or wax/sealant.
Old 04-09-14, 06:58 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Yes, either are safe IF you use them properly with plenty of the supplied clay lube (QD). Wash the car first and then do a small section at a time folding the clay and re-kneeding it into a flat clean pad often. The clay should glide over the paint on a film of the lube. Feel the finish after you cay the section to insure that all the contaminants are removed. Don't apply excessive pressure. Let the clay do its work. The clay will catch the contaminants and sheer them off level with the paint or it will pull the contaminants off the paint into the clay. So as not to scratch the paint, keep the clay surface clean by refolding often.

I'd advise cutting the clay bar(s) into two or three pieces and if you drop a piece while using it, toss it and grab a new piece. I clay paint doing the horizontal surfaces first then the vertical panels. I then move on to the glass and finally the wheels. When finished with the wheels, I toss the clay as it will have brake dust imbedded and should not be used on paint again.

When finished, the paint should feel as smooth as glass. Ready for a polish or wax/sealant.
^+1
One other little tip. When feeling the paint, first use fingers to feel the contaminants, clay, then place a sandwich sized baggie over your fingers and re-feel. You will be amazed at the sensitivity and new found contaminants to re-clay. Crazy but it works. As told by Mike Phillips at Autogeek
Old 04-09-14, 07:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've been using the Mother's Clay Bar for years with great results. As others have said, use it properly, and it'll be both safe and effective.
Old 04-09-14, 09:46 AM
jesrob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Huge help. I will purchase either as they are both available locally.
Old 04-09-14, 10:05 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that zmcgovern once posted that with the Nanoskin clay mitt, some small amount of marring occurs, so it is only recommended for use if you are going to polish the car afterwards. Recommend that you search for that post and not take the advice of people who have not used the product.

Here is one thread where the marring is mentioned:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ine-grade.html
Old 04-09-14, 09:16 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

I've used the meguiar's clay in the past before just fine. Just listen to what jfelbab mentioned.

I'm going to try Riccardo's clay this weekend. I'm excited.
Old 04-11-14, 06:34 AM
DeadRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all--I have a 2000 RX and I know it's never been clayed, and when I run my hand over paint I [think I] feel dirt.

It's supposed to be nice out this weekend, so I plan to wash, clay, and wax.

I've read the above and I don't think I have time (or PRIME) to order the nanoskin.

What clay should I be looking for? My RX is white+gold, if that makes a difference.

I hope to get some answers today or early tomorrow, so I can then start my hunt for auto parts store selling wax and clay in northern nj, lol.
Old 04-11-14, 07:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiars, Mothers or Clay Magic will all work pretty well. Maybe take a quick visit to youtube for some video tips on claying if you have never done this before. AutoGeek and Meguiar's likely have some videos to point out the process.
Old 04-13-14, 12:22 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Intro to claying

claying technique
Old 04-13-14, 07:22 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just clay bar'd my RX300 a few months ago (for the very first time) and it's fairly simple. I watched a few demo videos as suggested, which helped tremendously. The one thing i would add is get a couple more microfiber towels to have on hand. I think i was about half way done when the one they give you was too wet to continue the rest of the car. From the videos I watched, you want to make sure and continuously lube the area with the quick detailer so you're not rubbing dry paint and the clay glides smoothly with no effort. I also now remember that I wish I had another bar of clay. If you can get just the clay at your local store, I'd go ahead and buy that along with the clay bar kit. Remember, the RX is a pretty big car. Happy claying to ya.