Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP Ruined melted interior 2007 LS460 recovery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 02:23 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Even a solvent based dressing... Armor All comes to mind... can create these types of issues when subjected to high heat. Most dealerships will use these solvent based dressings when prepping new cars because it leaves a "shiny" look that many people associate with being clean.

These solvent based dressings simply sit on the surface of the material and create a microscopic greenhouse effect that can create issues with the substrate material. For this reason, products such as these are frowned upon and a water based dressing/protectant should be used instead.

I would recommend cleaning a small area with a mild cleaner (such as Meguiar's D101 diluted 10:1 or even a mild detergent in water) and soft brush to see if it removes the discoloration. If a dressing was applied, it will take more than just water to remove it which is why I recommend a cleaner of some sort.

Afterwards, you can try to treat with a product such as 303 Aerospace Protectant or Einszett Cockpit Premium
Old 06-19-14, 02:35 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

it looks like rubbing alcohol was used to wipe the dash. I literally have a small area on the dash on a 2006 Toyota Avalon that was wiped with alcohol wipes and looks exactly the same as yours. there's no remedy. the color has completely come off.
Old 06-19-14, 09:45 PM
Boy1109
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Even a solvent based dressing... Armor All comes to mind... can create these types of issues when subjected to high heat. Most dealerships will use these solvent based dressings when prepping new cars because it leaves a "shiny" look that many people associate with being clean.

These solvent based dressings simply sit on the surface of the material and create a microscopic greenhouse effect that can create issues with the substrate material. For this reason, products such as these are frowned upon and a water based dressing/protectant should be used instead.

I would recommend cleaning a small area with a mild cleaner (such as Meguiar's D101 diluted 10:1 or even a mild detergent in water) and soft brush to see if it removes the discoloration. If a dressing was applied, it will take more than just water to remove it which is why I recommend a cleaner of some sort.

Afterwards, you can try to treat with a product such as 303 Aerospace Protectant or Einszett Cockpit Premium
took you long enough, I was going to refer you to the OP but I knew you were around the corner
Old 06-20-14, 06:45 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

Since the car is a "garage queen" heat/sun had nothing to do with it. I have to agree with RandyV, at some point somebody used a harsh cleaner on that dash.
Old 06-20-14, 06:55 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I basically agree with the others that say something harsh was used at some point on the dash. Only suggestions are to see if Lexus has any ideas, and/or contact a good car detailer and see if they have any ideas how to fix it..Otherwise it looks like a big bill to pay to replace all those interior items
Old 06-21-14, 07:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It looks like others are having issues with dashes melting.

http://www.wptv.com/money/consumer/d...mazda-vehicles

http://www.abcactionnews.com/money/c...suing-a-recall
Old 06-21-14, 08:25 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PondScum
And despite the dozens and dozens of threads on the topic, some people still insist the problem doesn't exist, or is caused by using the wrong cleaner, etc, even when those with the problem clearly state they weren't using anything unsafe.

My theory is that extremely high surface temperatures cause a permanent change in the dashboard material, causing it to become sticky and easily damaged. It seems like the problem is common at the lower latitudes (for those in the northern hemisphere), with lots of IR absorption to heat the dash (high ambient temperatures are not enough to cause the problem). Seems like the problem was solved for the 2009 or 2010 MY, at least for the ISx50.

OP is in Florida, a location where the melting dash problem is commonly reported.
I agree. Known problem.
Old 06-22-14, 07:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
If its "Melting" and 'Sticky".. This is known issue in the 2nd Gen IS's. I never heard of any LS's with this problem until now.. I thought they use different grade materials in the LS than the IS.. WOW I can't believe an LS with "Melting dash"!!
my barber has an 07 ES and his dash is melting... it stinks and reflects off the windshield which also makes it dangerous... if i hadn't have seen it and felt it for myself i wouldn't have believed it.
Old 06-25-14, 10:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

wow , unreal , the 460 seems to continually be coming up with more issues, although I have to agree that if your dash is 'sticky' even when its not in the hot sun then forsure someone has used a chemical.

Lacquer thinner will basically melt plastics and leave them sticky and soft , as well as leave it streaky and discolored like it is.

Im not sure how handy you are with painting and what not, but I would spend the few hundred to have it removed by a professional, you can re-spray it in your garage with a proper vinyl dye/paint.

I would then coat it in a strong satin clear coat.
Old 08-22-14, 04:47 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*bump* anyone heard how he resolved the problem?
Old 10-02-14, 10:17 PM
12lexusisf
Driver School Candidate

You could maybe get it dyed.
Old 11-28-14, 05:37 AM
flyguy327
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 LS460L with exactly the same problem! The interior has completely melted and i have NEVER used any harsh chemicals. Just a moist rag. Any thing that touches the dash or door panels will be imprinted on the material. I can't believe Lexus made such a crap product. My next car will certainly be german made.
Old 11-28-14, 05:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

talk to your dealer to see if it can be replaced. The dash and all 4 door panels are exhibiting the sticky melting dash, and my service advisor got approval from corporate to replace the dash and all 4 doors. Still waiting on parts before bringing the car in
Old 11-28-14, 03:37 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Here's another article that may be of interest to anyone experiencing melting dashboards
http://www.classaction.org/melting-dashboards-lawsuit
Old 12-02-14, 12:41 PM
LB435
Driver School Candidate

I drive an LS460 in S. Florida. I bought the car new. This past year I noticed when driving in hot weather, all the interior door panels become sticky. I brought the car to my dealer, who told me this was the first LS460 in which he has encountered with this problem. He took photos of the interior and said Lexus would probably replace the panels. He said I would hear from him in about two weeks. This is the third week, and no contact.

Quick Reply: HELP Ruined melted interior 2007 LS460 recovery?