Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scary paint issue?? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 02:56 PM
efedude77
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scary paint issue?? Please help!

So my GS had perfect paint until my first wash after I waxed it. Now the soap residue gets worse and worse. It almost looks like peeling clear coat but if you rub really hard you notice it's on top. Any ideas on how to restore the body? The whole damn thing looks like this. I hand wash and rinse very well
Attached Thumbnails Scary paint issue?? Please help!-image.jpg  
Old 06-29-14, 04:53 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not a paint issue. It's either soap residue or hard water (mineral) residue left over after the water evaporates.

All you need to do is dry the car right after washing with a squeegee or drying towel. Making sure the car is cool and not in direct sunlight also helps so the water doesn't evaporate so quickly.
Old 06-29-14, 07:45 PM
8ll8lack
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for clay bar. It might take that out.
Old 06-30-14, 01:40 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ehhhh it's hard to tell yea I would try claybar
Old 06-30-14, 06:31 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I would try to clean it with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. The vinegar should break it down and get it off your paint. If they are real tough you can use claybar with the white vinegar/water mix. If they will not come out the paint might be etched. Then you will need to have them buffed out.

Last edited by Debonair; 06-30-14 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 07:46 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As others have stated... this is not a "paint issue", it is simply a water spotting issue and is very common.

Hard water (especially tap water, water from sprinklers, water from the hose, etc) can cause serious damage to your paint if left unattended. Rain water can also create some issues, but it is usually not as quick to cause damage as tap water.

Anyway, long story short, hard water contains minerals. When the water beads sit on your car, the water will evaporate and the minerals will be left behind... this is what causes the ring/spot that you see on your paint. These minerals can often be so hard that routine washing will not remove them. Many times, people reach for the polisher and some fine polish to remove these, however that can be a lot of work to repeat on a regular basis, and even more important, you never want to polish your vehicle if you don't really have to as you are removing a fine layer of clear coat each time you use a polish.

CarPro has recently created my favorite solution to this issue. CarPro Spotless Water Spot & Mineral Remover is an acidic solution that works to neutralize the basic minerals left on the paint. This product is incredibly easy to use, and has been extremely effective in my testing (have gone through 1 bottle so far).

Simply wash and dry your vehicle. Spray Spotless on the spotted areas (work with one small section at a time). Gently work the product into the surface with a soft sponge or foam applicator. Wipe the residue away with a microfiber towel, and then rinse and dry the area again. In some instances you may need to repeat this process several times, however it is a heck of a lot easier and less aggressive than polishing. Note: This product is safe to use on most paint coatings, however it can remove traditional sealant or wax.

In the future, pay special attention to make sure you are NOT washing in sunlight, make sure the surface of the vehicle is cool while washing, keep the vehicle wet while you are working, avoid parking near sprinklers or other public water sources, etc.

Hope that helps
-Zach
Old 06-30-14, 11:19 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clay bar will work
Old 07-06-14, 10:31 PM
2bais
Driver School Candidate

try clay bar also
Old 07-06-14, 10:58 PM
jjmonsale
Driver School Candidate

Yeah i had similar issue used clay bar and took it right off.