Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 08:10 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Emblem Removal

I just got in a new emblem package for my 93 LS. What is the easiest and safest way to remove the old emblems?
Old 02-25-03, 10:40 AM
Guitarman

Use either a hair dryer set on high to loosen the adhesive, and/or use some monofiliment fishing line to get behind it and pull it off.

I've always had good luck with the hair dryer route. Cheers, Dan H
Old 02-25-03, 12:10 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Don't forget the GooGone to remove the remaining adhesive. Don't be in a hurry, then wash and rewax.
Old 02-25-03, 04:03 PM
IS300_Chic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitarman
Use either a hair dryer set on high to loosen the adhesive, and/or use some monofiliment fishing line to get behind it and pull it off.

I've always had good luck with the hair dryer route. Cheers, Dan H
Got like the same theory...First put the hair dryer up to what you want to remove so it gets it hot and melts. Then it should peal right off. Just remember to get that adhesive remover so it doesnt leave that sticky stuff from removing the emblem. You could also use dental floss if you dont got any fishing line. Hope this helped
Old 03-21-03, 07:30 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spxChrome: did you end up removing your badging? if so, how did it go? i may potentially do the same thing with my gs.
Old 03-21-03, 08:49 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Yes, I removed all my emblems and replaced them. If was not difficult.

Front emblem is just a screw on the backside of the grill no adhesive.

The back emblems I used some emblem and label remover (spray at any auto parts store). It sort of made the adheisive mushy.

Then I tried floss but it always broke on me so I used a flat head screw driver to kind of catch the corners of the emblem and work them loose pulling away from the car. (be carefull not to pry or scratch the paint) Just get the flat head under the emblem and pull and slide it around at the same time breaking the old adhesive. Keep adding label remover to help.

The back emblems have small **** or rods to align the emblem and hold them in place along with the adhesive. All have this but the 400.

Once you get them off the hard part is cleaning it. I just used the label remover spray until I got most of the hold adhesive off with a towell. Also used a plastic razor blade which works good in the beggining. Then I cleaned with window cleaner and used an eraser to lightly rub to get the old dirt and stains around the emblem off. Then I washed and waxed over the old emblems and dried it reall good.

And finally placed the new ones one. And they look awesome. Especially the front one it needed it bad since it gets most of the abuse riding down the road.

I paid $130: (Gold Package)

ant. bevel.
L front
lexus back
L back
LS back
400 back

Then I got 4 new center caps off the net for $125 but they were in chrome so I took them to the local autobody shop and had them dipped for $25 a piece.
Old 03-21-03, 11:40 AM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is definitely good work. i'll have to refer to this post when i switch my badging. trying to find something black chrome (my gold package badging is fading!)
Old 03-29-03, 10:19 PM
edawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i found was the easiest was using a hair dryer...tooth floss and then some of that orange spray in the tv,,,,,it works magic...lol....but seriously it really works..