Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wetsand

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 07:59 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wetsand

if u wanted to wet sand your own car , what r the products needed and process of doing so,
Old 02-26-03, 08:21 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's a link to read

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbir...icID=129.topic

I would practice for a while on something other than your car before you ever attempt it on your paint. The dangers are listed in that writeup. Hope it helps you understand the process.

Dan H.

Guitarman aka onequiksc
Old 02-26-03, 08:33 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

that was awsome! but it seems harder than i thought. now i'm scared to try it, i think i'll just let a prodetailer do it, what is the price range for a detailer to do this, so when i go looking around idon't get robbed. also i heard something about compounding the car too when wetsanding it what is that.
Old 02-26-03, 10:46 AM
Guitarman

Compounding after wet sanding is mandatory because the wet sanding is very abrasive (which is how it does what it does) and causes micro scratches and haze in the paint, so you have to use progressively finer grit compounds to remove those scratches and haze , with a buffer.

As far as prices go, I personally don't know, because, other than my own cars and a few show cars/trucks I've done, I generally don't wet sand whole cars for my customers. Too much work and VERY time consuming, it would be very expensive if done right. I do wet sand scratches out a lot, or runs from Maaco (*laughs*) or when someone's car gets keyed etc. but not the whole car. I have been asked, and my response is always-"you couldn't afford it" , and it's true, It would take me days to do correctly.

A body shop is your best bet IMO. They can use special 3M discs and do it by machine with a D/A sander, much quicker than by hand, and they can measure the paint MIL thickness too. That is important.

Surprisingly, many detailers I know of DON'T do wet sanding, I am in the minority. But it's perhaps because I got into painting cars at the age of 17 and it goes with the territory.

I think you're wise to seek a pro. Ask around at body shops, or find a detailer that has a LOT of experience doing it.

BTW, I should have asked you what prompted your wanting this done. Do you have a repaint? A lot of orange peel? Or do you just want really flat oem paint?
Old 02-26-03, 10:53 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

i just got the kit put on and pianted the hood with it but i have 2 areas that have a dullness to them that won't come out with wax. i too it a nice place and got the whole car waxed and buffed it looks great but if u look closly at the trunk by my window and in some places on the roof u c it . people say i'm crazy cus its not that bad or noticable unless someone comes right on the car and put their face on it to c it ,but i c it . plus i want to go to shows this summer and i think the judges would c it too,cus they look closely at that.
Old 02-26-03, 11:55 AM
Guitarman

Well, the dullness should have cleared up with the buffing they did, but...unless you know exactly what they used to buff it with, it's hard for me to say why it didn't work. There are rubbing compounds just as aggressive as wet sanding paper of 1500 -2000 grit, so any detailer can use a cutting compound to do the same thing really.

If they merely used a swirl remover, it's logical that that wouldn't have made a difference in the dullness, and they should have went to a heavier grit polish at that point.

You can try some 3M fine-cut rubbing compound yourself, followed by a polish like 3 M Finesse- it II Finishing Material and see if you get it looking clearer. That honestly SHOULD work unless the painter didn't do something right, like not applying enough clear, or you might even have some minor solvent pop or such, which causes cloudiness in the clearcoat. If either are the case, al the buffing/wet sanding in the world won't help. It's difficult to say w/o seeing it though.

Where in Florida are you BTW?
Old 02-26-03, 12:02 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

only the kit and hood was painted , the roof and trunk weren't, thats where the dullness is , not alot just in a small area. i'm in royal palm beach .
Old 02-26-03, 12:45 PM
Guitarman

Default That's good then...

A good detailer or yourself should be able to compound that paint out to a good gloss then. Wet sanding shouldn't be necessary.

Wish I were closer , i'm in Ormond Beach 10 miles north of Daytona, otherwise I'd be happy to do it for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Guitarman; 02-26-03 at 12:46 PM.