Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I need some help, I took my car to get tinted on saturday->

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 06:02 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help, I took my car to get tinted on saturday->

I picked it up later that afternoon and everything appeared to be fine. (It was dark) Sunday morning I come out to wash my car and I see a bunch of razor scratches on my glass. Its on the driver side glass and the passenger side glass. What can I use or do to get these scratches of the glass?
Thanks in advance
Jose
Old 03-03-03, 07:21 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

wow,
where did you take your car in for tint man? Make them pay for the new glass, I don't know if glass polishing is possible. I got no experience on this field. Sorry.
Old 03-03-03, 07:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Jose,

Sorry to hear about your scratches. I'm moving this question to the detailing forum. If anyone knows how to get this stuff out, it'll be Daddy-O.
Old 03-03-03, 07:46 AM
kvoman
Driver

Can you tell if the scratches are on the outside or could it be on the tint film? Razor blades really are not sharp or hard enough to scratch glasses. If it is from the outside, bring it back and have them fix or replace it for you. They should have business insurance (liability, etc.) to cover your claims.
Old 03-03-03, 08:03 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default I am assuming its on the outside of the glass->

How could i find out if its on the inside or outside? should I just rub my fingers on it to feel for any grooves. I don't know if they have any insurance, These guys do tint out of a heated garage they usually do excellent work. This is my third car that i've taken to them and this is the first time that i have a problem.They are very popular in my area and they do lots of high end work. Whats the name of that product that people use on their headlights and fogs to clean and clear it up? Do you think that might work.
Old 03-03-03, 08:51 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Firstly let me say i'm sorry this happened to you, unfortunate.

Glass scratches fall into the same category as paint scratches in that, if you can redily feel the scratch with your fingernail, it's not coming out completely. Try this and see.

I think you need to bring it back to them and give them the opportunity to make it right, either by them having a professional glass polisher look at it, or a new window put in. The DIY glass polishing kits from Eastwood and such are very good, but they state in their literature that scratches that can be felt with the fingernail won't come out. And it shouldn't be your job to fix it anyway.
You don't want to distort the glass by overheating it or removing too much glass either, or it can give you a "fishbowl" appearance, which is dangerous.

Good luck. Dan H
Old 03-03-03, 08:55 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problem. You must determine where the scratches are...inside? outside?
Are they in the glass or perhaps in the tint they applied? I would go back to the installer and ask
how this could have happened?

Are you sure these scratches were not there before you took your car there for tint work?

If the scratches are in the glass, it's possible that something can be done, but you'll need a Pro. Perhaps a glass company has a poilish or abrasive product that can make them less noticeable. Call around to any local glass companies.

There are glass polishes, but they are generally used to remove embedded dirt, tar, resin dots, and hard water spots. The headlight polish you mention is a plastic polish, and will not likely work well on glass.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-03, 09:37 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Default Thank guys I will take it back to the shop and see what they say.->

If that doesn't workout I will check some glass shops to see what they can suggest for me to use. I am **** when it comes to my car I notice just about every scratch that I get on my car. So I can confidently say these scratches were not there before I took it to their shop. I can see how this is going to turn out already his word versus mine.
Old 03-03-03, 12:11 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jose:

A few years ago I had a similar problem. I had my windows tinted by a shop, which offered a money back guarantee if I was unsatisfied. Their work was really bad, so I had them remove the tint. When I picked up my car, I noticed three out of the four windows had scratches on them! The manager at first denied any wrongdoing, but after going up the chain of command, the store owner paid to replace the damaged glass. Good luck...hope everything works out ok.
Old 03-03-03, 12:50 PM
kvoman
Driver

I think an easy way to tell if the scratches are on the outside is with a sharp pencil. Try it as if you're shading the area, if the pencil lead scratches off and filled into the scratches, then you have scratches on the outside.

I just thought off another possibility, does anyone know if the front windows (driver and passenger) have the coating on it like the windshield? The coating that sheds water off easily? Could that be it?

Tint shops usually lay the tint film on the outside window and cut the film with a sharp blade (exacto knife or something similar) following the outline of the window. I have done it on my old truck and I can't even scratch the windows with the exacto knife or a screwdriver.

I guess you can only hope that the guy is honest and will make it right. If not, it will come down to he said, you said. There's always small claims court if things don't work out AND if you have proof of the no scratch windows before the tint job.

Good luck.