Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Got all them toys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 03:39 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FWIW thai, you don't really need both...

If you're inclined to buy a rotary and learn to use it, there's no real reason to buy an orbital. A rotary can do everything (and more ) that an orbital can do, but not the other way around .

The only reason most people purchase an orbital is because they want to do light-duty polishing and waxing, without risk of damaging their paint, and spend less time doing it than by hand.

Professionals (myself included) prefer a rotary because it can do everything from applying glazes to compounding heavy oxidation and removing scratches. With that ability though comes some dangers if not used properly.

You can buy both certainly, but If my detailing experience is any barometer, you'll be reaching for the rotary 9 times out of 10 once you know how to use it.

In any case. The Porter Cable 7424p D/A orbital is the one to get. Not cheap though. I have an older version (#7335)of that unit that more or less sits on a shelf, lol.

For a rotary, the DeWalt DW849 for $189 is excellent. If you want an inexpensive rotary that does the job just fine, check out WEN's rotary for around $55. It has a variable speed and locking trigger also. If you're going to use one every day , or a couple times a week, the DeWalt is it. If you're only going to use it once in a while, a few times a year, the WEN unit will suffice. It works. I have one for a backup to an older model DeWalt. Makita and Porter Cable (among others) also sell quality rotarys. Cheers.
Old 03-16-03, 04:24 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heya Dan,

I am currently waiting on polidhing bits (how not cool of Porter Cable not to include them with the buffer) so I have not tried the tool out yet. Instead I have gone to a detailing shop and watched them work on customer's cars. I have a pretty good idea on what to do now but thereis one question I have. On their rottary polisher they had this large bit made out of some kind of foam. There were bumps on top of it too. What is that? I have not seen anything like that online anywhere?
Old 03-16-03, 05:12 PM
Guitarman

Default Ok retro...

If I'm following you correctly, what you saw was a waffle type foam polishing pad. The waffle texture pads are very good in eliminating swirls, and they generate a bit less heat too. WAS IT LIKE THIS?;

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

I have a couple that I use in this way, and I like them. Get one if you can.

Last edited by Guitarman; 03-16-03 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-16-03, 05:48 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah it was something like that but the shape was different. The thing was round and hugged every curve real well.
Old 03-16-03, 06:16 PM
Guitarman

One sure way to know for sure...just ask them next time. Most people are happy to answer quick questions on things like that, as long as you don't take up much of their time. Hey, they can only yell at you to get out of there right? LOL.

There are a lot of different types of pads, and they all tend to serve a specific need/purpose, from compounding/cutting paint to final finish polishing. If you buy 1 compounding, 1 polishing, and 1 finishing pad each, you will be in good shape to do most everything.
Cheers
Old 03-17-03, 09:45 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guitarman I'm going to try out the dewalt...

Also will the pads on this site (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest) work w/ the dewalt?

Last edited by SprtDesign; 03-17-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 10:35 PM
Guitarman

Default That's a velcro pad

It will, but you'll have to order a velcro- based (hook & loop) backing plate in order to attach it, as the DeWalt comes standard with a simple rubber backing plate designed for tie-on pads (avoid).

I would just order the hook & loop backing plate right off anyway, (why they don't sell it that way is annoying) because it's the simplest, easiest system for quick changing of pads. Even my second string WEN came with a velcro backing plate standard. Most of the pads you'll see will be the velcro system nowadays.

Most 7" rotaries will accomodate 7" to 9" pads, but try and stay with 7" or 7 1/2 generally. That pad in the link is 8" , will work, just creates more heat, which is something you should avoid initially. You don't want to risk a burn right off, so stay with 7 or 7 1/2 if possible. There are plenty of accessories available for that DeWalt, including pads, made for their velcro backing plate.