Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Garry Dean wash method question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 07:42 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garry Dean wash method question

Hi all.

So I'll be washing my car for the first time using the Garry Dean wash method (using ONR Wash and Shine).

One question : I was thinking I needed to go through a touchless car wash before washing with ONR because my car is quite dirty with salt. However my local detailer told me I could generously presoak the car with a double-strength ONR solution and wait for a few minutes before washing. He says this would eliminate the need for a touchless car wash as the presoak would encapsulate and take off all excess dirt. He even says I would see dirt and grime detaching and going down on the panels.

So, keeping in mind that the car is quite dirty, what would you guys do :

Option #1 : pre-wash at touchless automated car wash
Option #2 : just presoak

Tips? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 12-11-14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:12 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would go with option 2 and presoak the car with a higher concentration of ONR instead of driving through a touchless. or if you can get access to a decent hose with some good pressure to rinse most of the salt off before using the garry dean method
Old 12-12-14, 09:14 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

If my car is particularly dirty, I prefer to stop by the coin-op power wash or touch less wash before starting my rinseless wash.

I feel this is a quick and easy step to remove much of the potential risks of scratching the paint with the large amount of buildup. Just my $0.02... Probably also helps that I have a coin op wash right across the street from me
Old 12-12-14, 12:00 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks. I don't have access to a hose, but there's a coin-op car wash close to me, so I'll pass by there.
jw669 : you meant a manual pressure sprayer?

Other questions :

What dilution ratio would you guys use for presoak solution? My detailer told me to double the concentration vs the wash bucket, how does that sound?
And how would you dry the car? Garry Dean method is to have one damp MF for drying and one dry MF for polishing, but he later updated it and he now recommends waffle weave. However I'm concerned a wafle weave is more prone to cause swirls (if, by any chance, any dirt is left...)

Last edited by Aeromotive; 12-12-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 12:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

IIRC - ONR quick detail strength is 2 oz of product per gallon of water, while the washing strength is 1 oz of product per 2 gallons of water. Therefore the QD strength is quite a bit stronger than washing strength, and this is what I use to pre-soak each panel.

I simply wash then dry with a waffle weave towel. If you've never used ONR before, you're going to love it. If you wash properly, there will be NO dirt left on the surface, so even though you are wiping away the remaining water from the surface, your towel will remain completely clean. This is what makes ONR (and some other waterless or rinseless washing products) so great. Unlike traditional washes that rely on suds to suspend the dirt particles from the surface and then rinse them away, ONR attracts the dirt which then clings to your wash media and is completely removed from the surface as you wipe. Pretty awesome product that makes for quick and easy washing all year round.

-Zach
Old 12-12-14, 02:03 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks for your help

May I ask you one last question? How would you clean the wheels?

I'll be diluting 1oz of ONR in 1 gallon of water, so I'm probably gonna have some solution left. Would you just use that solution?
And would you use the same towel for all wheels (considering that wheels are way less fragile than paint), or one for each wheel (to avoid reintroducing dirt into the wash solution)? Trying to save precious weekend time here!

Last edited by Aeromotive; 12-12-14 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 06:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Thanks for your help

May I ask you one last question? How would you clean the wheels?

I'll be diluting 1oz of ONR in 1 gallon of water, so I'm probably gonna have some solution left. Would you just use that solution?
And would you use the same towel for all wheels (considering that wheels are way less fragile than paint), or one for each wheel (to avoid reintroducing dirt into the wash solution)? Trying to save precious weekend time here!
As you mentioned, I use the leftover solution in my bucket to clean wheels and exhaust tips. I do not use a high quality microfiber for this, I simply several of my Black All Purpose Towels.

Since I visit the coin-op prior to rinseless washing when my car is dirty, my wheels are already pretty clean. Most of the time I simply spray them with my ONR QD mixture, then wipe with a towel that has just a light misting of ONR QD on it.
The following users liked this post:
DunWkg (05-11-20)
Old 12-13-14, 05:13 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks I went out and tried it today. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the results!
Old 12-15-14, 02:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest 1.2 oz of ONR per 2 gallon of water (instead of 1 oz to 2 gallons) for wash solution because some of the ONR will be used to soften the minerals in the hard water.

Don't over-dilute it for the wash bucket as this is wasting product and creating more chance for streak.

I just recently switch from regular wash to ONR and I'm sold. The solution smells so good that I though it is watermelon juice or something. I sometimes want to drink it too (no just kidding).

I like to use ONR with the Country Lake blue sponge because it release dirts so well while microfibers have stains and stuff that require washing.

Questions: How often you guys clean your dirty microfibers? And what do you use to clean them?
Old 12-15-14, 02:51 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2c...EhTNXXZcK_dM_A

Link to Gary Dean Washing Method...

I think its a great Idea. I have been a doing Waterless washes now for 3 years and I haven't ran into any problems.. I do always follow up with my favorite wax or sealant..

Old 12-17-14, 11:19 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

FsportIS : I wash them after every car wash. I use distilled water (1 gal for wash bucket and 1/2 gal for presoak)

Needforspeed : what wax do you use?
Old 05-04-20, 08:18 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Washed the car, washed the bbq, washed the driveway and garage this weekend.
Old 05-10-20, 05:57 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what did you use to wash the car?
Old 05-10-20, 02:51 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

soap and water???