Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Car Care Products

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-15, 08:56 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago I believe I saw some tests with a PTG which convinced me that I could probably polish my car a dozen times with a DA before I approached the point where too much clearcoat had been removed (70-75% clearcoat remaining, or 2-2.5% of original clear removed with each polishing).

Problem is the guy polishing his car four times a year might hit that threshold in three years instead of twenty five years.
Old 01-07-15, 09:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
Years ago I believe I saw some tests with a PTG which convinced me that I could probably polish my car a dozen times with a DA before I approached the point where too much clearcoat had been removed (70-75% clearcoat remaining, or 2-2.5% of original clear removed with each polishing).

Problem is the guy polishing his car four times a year might hit that threshold in three years instead of twenty five years.
No doubt about it... if you're just using a light finishing polish, in most cases you'll be able to polish your car annually for longer than most people own their cars (10+ years)... but anymore frequently than that, you may run the risk of reducing your clear coat to dangerously thin levels or even striking through the clear. Light polishing removes a very thin layer of paint, but there is no reason to polish more than once a year... if the vehicle requires more frequent polishing, it is most likely a result of poor maintenance.

-Zach
Old 01-07-15, 02:28 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder after polishing, should we "add" clear coat to our car by sending it off to the body shop to add additional clear coat paint? Of course, this is only done in case when the clear coat needs rescue, not after every polish.

Our paint coating technology now is pretty good but if they can increase that 2 microns to something as thick as clear coat. That will be revolutionary.
Old 01-07-15, 02:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I wonder after polishing, should we "add" clear coat to our car by sending it off to the body shop to add additional clear coat paint? Of course, this is only done in case when the clear coat needs rescue, not after every polish. Our paint coating technology now is pretty good but if they can increase that 2 microns to something as thick as clear coat. That will be revolutionary.
If only it were that simple.

If you're going to re clear, you might as well just repaint the car all together. Practically the same amount of work. Just a little more spraying involved.

The best bet is to apply a durable ceramic coating after polishing. These coatings will add measurable thickness back to the surface which can be equivalent to the amount that is removed during a light polish.
Old 01-08-15, 05:20 PM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://adamspolishes.com
Great stuff. I would also recommend investing in a Porter Cable buffer, hands down the best investment you can make in maintaining a showroom shine.
Old 01-08-15, 06:03 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by grsams
http://adamspolishes.com Great stuff. I would also recommend investing in a Porter Cable buffer, hands down the best investment you can make in maintaining a showroom shine.
I'd push for the Griot's Garage Polisher for the tiny increase in price... You get a Lifetime warranty, and a bit more power than the porter cable
Old 01-10-15, 06:59 AM
Merlinii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Car Care Products

That's pretty open ended...what part of the processes are you interested in?
Products...IMHO No ONE brand has "end all" for every part of the processes

1) Washing
Two Bucket Wash Method or a Foam Cannon

2) Cleaning/Prep
Iron-X & Nanoskin Speedy Prep Sponge or Towel (FINE)
NOTE: I like using Optimum No Rinse as a clay lube

3) Polishing
A Dual Action (DA) machine. Polishes and pads as needed
Polishes can vary from Megs M101 to Carpro Reflect

4) Protecting (Last Step Product - LSP)
There are hundreds of Waxes, Sealants and a few Coatings
These vary by your wants...longevity, "look and feel" etc.

5) Maintenance
This depends on the product you use for (LSP) protection.

As far as polishing...my thoughts...
Machine
If all you're going to do is use the DA machine once or twice a year then the Harbor Freight may do.
Check their sales...some folks have bought it for under $50. Be sure to get their "lifetime warranty".
If you expect to use a DA more often than that I would recommend the Griot's Garage 6" polisher.
Backing Plate
I also highly recommend a Meguiars Soft Buff DBP5 5" DA backing plate & 5"-5 1/2" polishing pads.
Pads
To start, I suggest Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack 2) Orange 2) White 1) Black 1) Blue
Polishes
For a Newbie I would suggest Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish to learn with.